BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-19-2018, 09:11 AM   #1
fizzguy
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

Received my CB M40i

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone!

I received my Carbon Black M40i last week (a very romantic Valentine's Day for my wife), only about 2 1/2 weeks after ordering. I had the dealer deliver it to me without any detailing or configuration off the truck (I think it had to be taken out of "transportation mode" or something, but otherwise nothing else). I spent the weekend detailing it, having the it partially wrapped, and applying a ceramic coat. I went with Optimum Gloss-Coat, and so far, I'm really impressed. Easy to use and the shine is fantastic.

Here are a few impressions, including on the items I was most concerned about:
- The Engine. I have a 340i as well, and the B58 in the m40i does not disappoint. I'm keeping it under 4500 during break-in, and it's still impressive.
- Exhaust note: Fantastic and distinctive. Even at the wrap shop that had a Ferrari and a Maclaren, the guys all commented on how great the sounds is.
- CarPlay: If you have an iPhone, get it. The sound quality is fantastic, I love that the system will never be outdated. It's incredibly responsive and reliable for wireless. This is a no-brainer at $300.
- Rear passenger space: Several of the reviews said this was a weak point of the vehicle, but we've had 6-2 adult males back there with no real issues. The concern seems a bit overblown.
- Auto Stop-Start: Annoying that you can't keep it off by default, but at least it's smoother than my F30 340i.
- Active Kidney grill: It's never opened since I've had the vehicle, but it's never been above 30 degrees. Subsequently, the car heats up much faster than the F30, which is really nice.
- Trim and upholstery: The mocha seats with matte wood trim are gorgeous. We really wanted the cognac, but couldn't get it with ventilated seats. Very happy we ended up with Mocha. The seats are also very comfortable.

I'll post some pictures of the car now that it's wrapped and coated. It looks incredible. Overall, it's completely exceeded our expectations. The little things, like the blue interior lighting playing off the Carbon Black exterior, add a lot to the character of the vehicle.

Last edited by fizzguy; 02-19-2018 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #2
ed4
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 F96 X6MC, '18 G30 M550i

Congrats - can't wait for the pics of the CB M40i.

'23 F93 M8 GC ZCP
- HRE S101SC - Full Akrapovic - '15 Audi R8 4.2 S-Tronic
(Past) YouTube '21 F96 X6M ZCP Akrapovic/MSS/BC Forged, ‘18 G30 M550i, '18 G01 X3 M40i, '15 F10 M5 ZCP HRE S101 #1 & #2/Akrapovic, ‘13 W204 C63 AMG - ADV1 5.01SL's
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
hok020
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Congrats! Best color...
enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
dbmb
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Congratulations! You say that you have had it part wrapped. I'm thinking of doing the same when my sapphire black arrives in a couple of weeks, but worried that the contrast between wrapped and none wrapped panels would be too obvious?

Would love to see some pictures.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Definitely post pics! I ordered CB/Cognac/fineline but want to see CB/Mocha.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2018, 12:17 AM   #6
Rbrown
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing the pictures!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

got any pictures of the wrap and coat?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #8
OzBMW84
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i M Sport Limited Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzguy View Post
Hello everyone!

I received my Carbon Black M40i last week (a very romantic Valentine's Day for my wife), only about 2 1/2 weeks after ordering. I had the dealer deliver it to me without any detailing or configuration off the truck (I think it had to be taken out of "transportation mode" or something, but otherwise nothing else). I spent the weekend detailing it, having the it partially wrapped, and applying a ceramic coat. I went with Optimum Gloss-Coat, and so far, I'm really impressed. Easy to use and the shine is fantastic.

Here are a few impressions, including on the items I was most concerned about:
- The Engine. I have a 340i as well, and the B58 in the m40i does not disappoint. I'm keeping it under 4500 during break-in, and it's still impressive.
- Exhaust note: Fantastic and distinctive. Even at the wrap shop that had a Ferrari and a Maclaren, the guys all commented on how great the sounds is.
- CarPlay: If you have an iPhone, get it. The sound quality is fantastic, I love that the system will never be outdated. It's incredibly responsive and reliable for wireless. This is a no-brainer at $300.
- Rear passenger space: Several of the reviews said this was a weak point of the vehicle, but we've had 6-2 adult males back there with no real issues. The concern seems a bit overblown.
- Auto Stop-Start: Annoying that you can't keep it off by default, but at least it's smoother than my F30 340i.
- Active Kidney grill: It's never opened since I've had the vehicle, but it's never been above 30 degrees. Subsequently, the car heats up much faster than the F30, which is really nice.
- Trim and upholstery: The mocha seats with matte wood trim are gorgeous. We really wanted the cognac, but couldn't get it with ventilated seats. Very happy we ended up with Mocha. The seats are also very comfortable.

I'll post some pictures of the car now that it's wrapped and coated. It looks incredible. Overall, it's completely exceeded our expectations. The little things, like the blue interior lighting playing off the Carbon Black exterior, add a lot to the character of the vehicle.
Congratulations and thank you for the review! I too have a 340i M sport. My only real concern is the ride quality of the X3 M40i. What size wheel's does your have and how would you compare the ride to the 340i?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2018, 08:11 PM   #9
duky
The Tanzanian
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3, Audi RS6, Mini Cooper

Garage List
Still no photos..........?

2023 F56 MINI Cooper SE Midnight Black II on Carbon Black
2021 C8 Audi RS6 Avant Mythos Black on Black/Grey
2016 F80 BMW M3 Black Sapphire Metallic on Silverstone