BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #23
DC X3M40i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
Transfer thanks for the input. Seems like higher RPMs is where it really shines. I had an STI a bit ago and the EJ only liked high RPMs.

DC F97 lol your situation is exactly what I am looking at. Realistically I think the m40i would be better when all family members are in it, but we are talking about a marginal difference (relatively) on monthly payments. That is, if I can find one similarly spec'd. I would be looking for one around your sticker. Also kind of like the dash and i6 a bit better. I am sure my wife will hate it as well!
At the end of the day....it's your money. And you know your families tendencies. I felt a little regret at first because my wife was visibly uncomfortable in the car. But I think the more she rides in it the more she gets used to it. I was going to get a g05 X5 but they felt huge compared to the f15. The x3 is the sweet spot for us. It lacks some of the luxury bits of the X5 but it's so damn fun to drive
Best of luck with your decision. Either way you can't go wrong
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:29 AM   #24
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC F97 View Post
At the end of the day....it's your money. And you know your families tendencies. I felt a little regret at first because my wife was visibly uncomfortable in the car. But I think the more she rides in it the more she gets used to it. I was going to get a g05 X5 but they felt huge compared to the f15. The x3 is the sweet spot for us. It lacks some of the luxury bits of the X5 but it's so damn fun to drive
Best of luck with your decision. Either way you can't go wrong
Yea, I agree. Fortunately, my kids are too young to really complain about any ride quality. They just want to go fast....and I think either one of these will accomplish that. We will see how this works if all things work out.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #25
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Not sure if the suspension is breaking in or I'm just getting used to it but I now find the ride very tolerable after initially second guessing getting the Comp due to the stiff ride. It actually feels perfect for the sporty nature of this SUV.
Appreciate 1
Transfer5250.00
      04-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #26
BeyondVision
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M; Alfa Romeo Stelvio

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Not sure if the suspension is breaking in or I'm just getting used to it but I now find the ride very tolerable after initially second guessing getting the Comp due to the stiff ride. It actually feels perfect for the sporty nature of this SUV.
I am wondering if some of the stiffness may also have to do with the m sport seats. I am actually looking at one with the base seats which i think are the same ones from the m40i. I think the m sport seats look real nice, but may be a little overkill for commuting. I know I may be one of the rare few that ends up with a X3M with the base seats.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 12:10 PM   #27
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondVision View Post
I am wondering if some of the stiffness may also have to do with the m sport seats. I am actually looking at one with the base seats which i think are the same ones from the m40i. I think the m sport seats look real nice, but may be a little overkill for commuting. I know I may be one of the rare few that ends up with a X3M with the base seats.
I don’t think so, because when you install the MSS Urban springs this car becomes super comfy, almost too soft for my taste. Wife loves it now!
Appreciate 1
      04-01-2020, 04:56 PM   #28
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
I don’t think so, because when you install the MSS Urban springs this car becomes super comfy, almost too soft for my taste. Wife loves it now!
I just ordered those. I've heard comfort is comfy. What about sport plus? Ben compared it to standard competition comfort. Your thoughts? Granted, I don't need standard comp sport plus on the MD asphalt here. My hope is that the MSS springs bring everything down a notch across the board since I'll never twisty track her (straight line dragstrip is in my future, however). Would you compare your sport plus to stock comfort, more plush than stock comfort, or more rigid like sport (non plus)? I have had occasions on street asphalt where I could see me appreciating a level of stock sport here in the US. Sport plus is too much unless running a track or on the autobahn (which is far, far away for me now)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 05:35 PM   #29
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrItaly View Post
I just ordered those. I've heard comfort is comfy. What about sport plus? Ben compared it to standard competition comfort. Your thoughts? Granted, I don't need standard comp sport plus on the MD asphalt here. My hope is that the MSS springs bring everything down a notch across the board since I'll never twisty track her (straight line dragstrip is in my future, however). Would you compare your sport plus to stock comfort, more plush than stock comfort, or more rigid like sport (non plus)? I have had occasions on street asphalt where I could see me appreciating a level of stock sport here in the US. Sport plus is too much unless running a track or on the autobahn (which is far, far away for me now)
We only got to drive it for 15 minutes and the car is now back in the tuning shop to re-adjust the height. Haven’t checked Sport+ but Sport definitely feels softer. Wife noticed the difference immediately. Kind of shocking that springs alone make such a difference.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:16 PM   #30
MrItaly
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M Competition

Quote:
We only got to drive it for 15 minutes and the car is now back in the tuning shop to re-adjust the height. Haven’t checked Sport+ but Sport definitely feels softer. Wife noticed the difference immediately. Kind of shocking that springs alone make such a difference.
Please let me know once you've put some more miles on that setup.... My biggest fear is that the springs transform the car into a wavy mess at the first encounter of uneven asphalt. I totaled a 5 week old 318ti (with an M sport package) 20 years ago due to an overly plush suspension on bumpy asphalt (and my excessive speed)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #31
ando
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: i5 eDr40, G80 and F80

Garage List
2024 BMW i5 eDr40  [10.00]
2022 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
I ordered a non comp. No regrets.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:59 PM   #32
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Regret will keep you up at night!! I got the comp zero regret! (& I know you requested non-comp owners)
Quote:
Few questions. Are you planning to tune the engine? Are you anyway planning to install an aftermarket exhaust? If both yes, just get the non-comp. If both no, I personally would take the comp.
These are the boxes I checked when making the decision. I went with the comp.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #33
beammeupscottie
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 Comp BGM / Sahkir

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RR-NYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
Regret will keep you up at night!! I got the comp zero regret! (& I know you requested non-comp owners)
Quote:
Few questions. Are you planning to tune the engine? Are you anyway planning to install an aftermarket exhaust? If both yes, just get the non-comp. If both no, I personally would take the comp.
These are the boxes I checked when making the decision. I went with the comp.
Great choice! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #34
Klazu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

I am also torn between Competition and Non-Competition version. The price difference is not really a factor here but I don't like some of the black details on Competition model. I am not sure if the difference in power is noticeable at all and I am thinking that the Non-Competition will be just as fantastic to drive.

As silly as it may sound, the engine / exhaust sound is actually a big consideration point for me and I am wondering how different the two models really sound?

Here in Canada you can actually equip the Non-Competition model with the M Sport Exhaust System as an $1,300 option and I wonder if that is everything there is to the better sound? Both share exactly the same engine and it having been tuned ever-so-slightly differently likely won't make much of a difference? So, should I be good with just getting the exhaust system to basically have the same sound or will I still lose out with the Non-Competition model?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:52 PM   #35
clank
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M,16_M3,14_ 535-msport

Proud owner of a x3m as of today. Coming out of M3 and so far really love the x3. I really went for x3m over comp mainly because I just thought I would be happier in the long run with standard seats. I fought this decision for a few weeks with many runs to different dealerships to try to sit in as many cars I could find. Also cost was a factor as car choises were getting slim and only found a few dealers willing to deal which made the pick a bit smaller. My wife also hated the black bits so..whatever... I guess will find out if I ever regret it of course I can always get the speed by tuning so I really think it comes down to those gougous seats I left behind. Very excited to sport a blue/blk. with 21s and exec...
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00
      06-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #36
Macanakey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC, X5M, 911Turbo & GTS

Comp here, but I think the black accents work nicely with the darker vehicles. Chrome would stick out on my Phytonic Blue rig, so I'm glad to have the black bits on the car. I'm a small woman, so the sports seats are just fine for me. I don't find the ride to be rough at all, & it's softened up even more as I've put miles on it. Very happy with my choice, & I would have regretted not having the Comp goodies that the car comes with.
1997 911 Targa, Zenith Blue
2017 GT3-RS Lava Orange (LEGO)
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #37
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

With all the engine malfunction issues I've been having, it has dampened my mood about this vehicle. But I hope when the issue is found and solved, that I don't regret this vehicle...

Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 04:38 PM   #38
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
With all the engine malfunction issues I've been having, it has dampened my mood about this vehicle. But I hope when the issue is found and solved, that I don't regret this vehicle...
man, just bring it to the dealer to check that problem. Yours is not even tuned. Or if you prefer, go to bimmershops.com and find a nearby indy mechanic. Maybe the downpipes weren’t installed properly...

Last edited by AlexFL; 06-06-2020 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #39
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
man, just bring it to the dealer to check that problem. Yours is not even tuned. Or if you prefer, go to bimmershops.com and find an indy mechanic nearby. Maybe the downpipes weren’t properly installed...
Yep. this week.

Appreciate 1
AlexFL7834.00
      06-06-2020, 11:32 PM   #40
richsnuc
Retired USN LT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M60i Avus Blue/Coffee

X3M, non-comp. I was all-set to buy the M40i, until I drove the X3M...world of difference. Suspension is stiffer, but somehow more liveable on the same roads. Although I have 21" wheels, I do look forward to getting the 20's on. M40i was much better on 20" than 21" wheels, and I'm hoping that the half-inch of sidewall does a great job of damping some road undulations.
Appreciate 0