BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #1
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
I guess I was lucky to get to drive my new car for 3 weeks before sliding off road on black ice..

OVER $30,000 damage!

Now it'll be 4 MONTHS until I can see her again...
Several parts back ordered from Germany and are 4-6 weeks out!
They certainly don't mention that on the test drive...:
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

damn... unlucky. I hope you got a nice replacement car. they should give you an M8.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowMeaWay View Post
I guess I was lucky to get to drive my new car for 3 weeks before sliding off road on black ice..

OVER $22,000 damage!

Now it'll be 2 MONTHS until I can see her again...
Several parts back ordered from Germany and are 4-6 weeks out!
They certainly don't mention that on the test drive...:
BMW hardly stocks any new parts (even parts that are made in the US) in North America. They have been that way for a while. All due to tax reasons.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 02:58 PM   #4
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Just found out my X4M won't be fixed until December 31st! Many parts don't arrive until mid December. Now am I the only one that feels incredibly cheated? I leased a $83k car for 1300 a month and my car is at the body shop for 2 months! 3 weeks in...! The minute this claim is complete I am going with Chubb Insurance, as State Farm has been a nightmare (had all policies with for 24 years) yet they put refurbished parts on my brand new car! And refuses to pay for the "gig" which is critical in proper repair! Not sure what's worse, the fact that BMW did not inform me that driving in -40 degrees on hp summer tires was not recommended, (especially when they were quite aware that I was driving 160 miles to have snow tires put on) or that they are doing nothing to make it right! 2 full months at $2,640 yet no car to show for it!
$1300 dude you got hosed sorry to hear
Unless you were lined up day one that these were released you got proverbially fcked by your dealership
Appreciate 1
gatorfast4991.50
      11-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #5
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Quote:
Just found out my X4M won't be fixed until December 31st! Many parts don't arrive until mid December. Now am I the only one that feels incredibly cheated? I leased a $83k car for 1300 a month and my car is at the body shop for 2 months! 3 weeks in...! The minute this claim is complete I am going with Chubb Insurance, as State Farm has been a nightmare (had all policies with for 24 years) yet they put refurbished parts on my brand new car! And refuses to pay for the "gig" which is critical in proper repair! Not sure what's worse, the fact that BMW did not inform me that driving in -40 degrees on hp summer tires was not recommended, (especially when they were quite aware that I was driving 160 miles to have snow tires put on) or that they are doing nothing to make it right! 2 full months at $2,640 yet no car to show for it!
Unless you were lined up day one that these were released you got proverbially fcked by your dealership
I'm sorry that was the only part you got from that.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:16 PM   #6
knepsterd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 BSM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
Quote:
I'm sorry that was the only part you got from that.
Feel bad for your parts plight in all honesty good luck
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
It's a bummer that the parts are going to take so long, but you can't really blame the accident on anything other than the cause, if no one else was involved then that's down to you, less than 40F and summer tyres + 510hp needs care, surely that's a given.
      11-18-2019, 09:39 PM   #8
Fast Intentions
RELAPSED MOD ADDICT
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 F80 *202 F97*

Jesus 1300 a month!???? Thank god I do leasing and pay in the high 7's that's insane !!! Sorry to hear about your car. You definitely convinced me to buy wintered a day ago.
Mods: Evolution Racewerkes Downpipes / Maximum PSI Front Mount Intakes / Active Autowerkes Mid Pipe / JB4 Stage 3 (Bluetooth) / BMS Meth Kit / AKRAPOVIC CF Tips / VORSTEINER VFF101 Wrapped in Hankook Ventus V12.2's / BMS 12/15MM Spacers Mode Carbon Spoiler / M Performance CF Lip / RW DTM CF Diffuser / RW CF Mirrors / RW CF Fender Inserts / RW CF Grills
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Sounds right just ordered some parts from Germany took just under 1 month.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:50 PM   #10
DETSGTSTARSKY
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

You needed BMW to tell you not to drive in under 45 degree temps with summer tires on?
Appreciate 4
Kief4426.50
Macanakey138.50
      11-19-2019, 12:50 AM   #11
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post
You needed BMW to tell you not to drive in under 45 degree temps with summer tires on?
No I feel that my dealership failed to inform me of the possible dangers. Even after asking the person who confirmed my appt the previous evening about the conditions and if she thought I'd be alright on the drive early next morning. Was told that "as long as it didn't snow that night I'd be okay!" No snow, no chains required... and no mention of temperature..

I was driving very cautiously, I have a non comp. so 470hp. In the m4wd (traction mode)! Figured I had to get down to get the tires or I'd be stranded for the season without snow tires!

Never a traction problem ever with previous 6 BMW's, 3 of which were not x drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
No I feel that my dealership failed to inform me of the possible dangers. Even after asking the person who confirmed my appt the previous evening about the conditions and if she thought I'd be alright on the drive early next morning. Was told that "as long as it didn't snow that night I'd be okay!" No snow, no chains required... and no mention of temperature..

I was driving very cautiously, I have a non comp. so 470hp. In the m4wd (traction mode)! Figured I had to get down to get the tires or I'd be stranded for the season without snow tires!

Never a traction problem ever with previous 6 BMW's, 3 of which were not x drive.
Honestly, most sales and service advisers know next to nothing about the cars they sell let alone the specifics of tire categories and benefits/risks associated with them. When it comes to cars you always need to do your own research as a well informed consumer will know more than the sales adviser 95% of the time. Forums such as this one are a great way to learn all of the intricate details about a particular model and also general car knowledge such as tire choices.

Sorry not trying to rub salt in an open wound (I feel for you) but based on my experience with car dealerships, I think your expectation of the woman confirming your appointment to be a knowledgeable source of tire safety was misguided.
Appreciate 2
      11-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

Honestly, most sales and service advisers know next to nothing about the cars they sell let alone the specifics of tire categories and benefits/risks associated with them. When it comes to cars you always need to do your own research as a well informed consumer will know more than the sales adviser 95% of the time. Forums such as this one are a great way to learn all of the intricate details about a particular model and also general car knowledge such as tire choices.

Sorry not trying to rub salt in an open wound (I feel for you) but based on my experience with car dealerships, I think your expectation of the woman confirming your appointment to be a knowledgeable source of tire safety was misguided.
Am super grateful that the dealership finally came through for me! A profound gesture has been made that will make the next 2 months/ holidays and rental car fiasco go far smoother then it was headed. Already has renewed my faith and love for BMWs!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

Am super grateful that the dealership finally came through for me! A profound gesture has been made that will make the next 2 months/ holidays and rental car fiasco go far smoother then it was headed. Already has renewed my faith and love for BMWs!
Well do tell, what did they do...buy you winter tires for when you finally get your car back?
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 1
Dimitri314.50
      11-19-2019, 05:14 PM   #15
SM2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Audi S6 | 2017 BMW M2 | 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETSGTSTARSKY View Post

Don't listen to car dealership people unless they 're a car person. I remember one of the comments from a sales person, "tires don't make a difference". Yeah, ok bud. 😂
Appreciate 3
      11-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #16
j080808
USA
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i, 440i

I feel your pain, just waited 29 days for an 02 sensor on a car with 80 miles on it....They are assembled 900 miles from my house.

I could have ordered and had 3 cars delivered in that time.
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #17
X4MforME
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X4M  [0.00]
Make that 4 months!

Just got word that yet again (6-7th time) the wrong part was sent from Germany, and now my expected completion date is Feb. 14th!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:50 PM   #18
Hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991TT, F90 M5C, R230 SL55 AMG

Quote:
... the fact that BMW did not inform me that driving in -40 degrees on hp summer tires was not recommended...
Sorry to say, but this is 100% your fault. That is common sense.
Appreciate 3
Wills28647.00
to_riffic3023.50
2sporty243.50
      02-03-2020, 01:29 AM   #19
2sporty
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Just got word that yet again (6-7th time) the wrong part was sent from Germany, and now my expected completion date is Feb. 14th!
I'll alert the media.
Appreciate 2
Wills28647.00
Dimitri314.50
      02-03-2020, 06:38 AM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I would recommend getting a set of winter tires and wheels.

I was back and forth debating if I should but I’m glad I did.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 01:47 PM   #21
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowMeaAway View Post
... the fact that BMW did not inform me that driving in -40 degrees on hp summer tires was not recommended....
Actually, this is in the manual....

"Winter Tires

General Information

Winter tires are recommended for operating on winter roads.

Although so-called all-season M+S tires provide better winter traction than summer tires, they usually do not provide the same level of performance as winter tires."

10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2020, 09:22 PM   #22
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Well I am sorry to say that you sir are 100% wrong! The liability falls on the dealership, which is why they have covered the lease payments while we are waiting for yet another back ordered part from Germany. It will be a 4 month repair! Got the car Oct.22nd, at which point they did not have the scorpion winter's available, hence my return 7 days later...
UK and Europe do not have the legal standards that are common here. Especially California. I do believe you guys even have to pay for your maintenance services!
But would love to hear your argument how I am responsible?
And this all occurred on Nov 1st. No where is winter tires required in October.
1. The dealer isn't liable if they don't have tires available... they aren't negligent, you are (negligence of driving in -17* weather with summer tires or driving in poor road conditions). This is like saying that the dealer didn't have replacement brake pads and you drove your car away then the car didn't stop and you hit a tree.... how is the dealer liable for not having a part? You're the negligent one waiting to replace brake pads way too late.
2. I don't know what maint. has to do with this.
3. Winter tires aren't required in Florida in October.... you live in Colorado and easily has snowfall in October, despite when winter really starts...
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0