BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-25-2020, 07:03 AM   #23
TTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: m3 f80, X3M, Huracan perf, 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrocks4u View Post
Hi all

Currently driving 19 M4CS and had 17 M3 ZCP prior to that. With growing family needs considering the X4M. Love the X6M but definitely over my budget.

Anyone made a move from M3 M4 to X3M/X4M? If so, how has your experience been?

Thanks.
I have m3 and x3m, different cars, hard to compare. U can't compare SUV with normal car.

X3m - perfect daily driver, very comfortable, 1 week ago i did 2k km in 24 hours and was super comfort.

Also on st1 - x3m is crazy fast and u have 4 wheel drive.

X3 - perfect car for everyday, but this is not fun car like m3/m4. M3 give you more pleasure on the road and you can go much faster on corners.

I would suggest to keep both.
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      03-28-2020, 10:09 PM   #24
KennyM340ISouthFLA.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4MC

How is theX4M power compared to the M4 ? figuring both are stock.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #25
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4CSFla. View Post
How is the power compared to the M4 ? figuring both are stock.
I used to have an F82. My X3MC is definitely faster, also because of the excellent M XDrive. Acceleration in M4 felt a bit more visceral, probably because you sit so low. Overall, I am extremely pleased with my X3. The best sedan-like SUV you can buy. Speed and cornering will definitely surprise you.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #26
KennyM340ISouthFLA.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

@ AlexFLi have a X4M comp on hold at Bmw alpine white/Ivory interior. they are closed for 45 days due to Covid . I'm actually giving up my F90 comp for this car. want to make sure I'm making the right decision. i took a good hit in biz over this pandemic . but my deal on m5 is 1100.00 month on a comp sick deal . Im actually in South florida as well Fort Lauderdale
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:46 PM   #27
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
@ AlexFLi have a X4M comp on hold at Bmw alpine white/Ivory interior. they are closed for 45 days due to Covid . I'm actually giving up my F90 comp for this car. want to make sure I'm making the right decision. i took a good hit in biz over this pandemic . but my deal on m5 is 1100.00 month on a comp sick deal . Im actually in South florida as well Fort Lauderdale
Sorry to hear about the hit your business took due to this effing covid! X4M comp is a really good, fast car. Naturally, it will not be as fast as the F90 comp. The good news is that the S58 is a great engine to tune. Simple Stage 1 BM3 flash with pump gas will give you 660 hp.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:50 PM   #28
KennyM340ISouthFLA.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you for the concern. the offing Covid is absolutely horrible!!!!!! But Wow thats good to know. having a hard time giving up the m5 but i think i will be happy with a tuned X4MC BM3 is a great tune i will just go stage 1 good enough for me. Where in South Fla are you from?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 10:57 PM   #29
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the concern. the offing Covid is absolutely horrible!!!!!! But Wow thats good to know. having a hard time giving up the m5 but i think i will be happy with a tuned X4MC BM3 is a great tune i will just go stage 1 good enough for me. Where in South Fla are you from?
I live more north, in the Treasure Coast region, and work in Jupiter. There are many other guys here who live in the Boca/Lauderdale area.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 08:46 AM   #30
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

I'm in a somewhat similar boat as well. Absolutely love, LOVE my M3cs but with a 4 and 6 year old, it has kind of gotten tiresome either taking my wife's car (Honda Clarity) or our beater (2013 Tiguan).

Selfishly, I'd like to keep the M3cs, but consolidating that and the Tiguan in to an X3Mc is also attractive.
      03-29-2020, 01:28 PM   #31
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkme323 View Post
I'm in a somewhat similar boat as well. Absolutely love, LOVE my M3cs but with a 4 and 6 year old, it has kind of gotten tiresome either taking my wife's car (Honda Clarity) or our beater (2013 Tiguan).

Selfishly, I'd like to keep the M3cs, but consolidating that and the Tiguan in to an X3Mc is also attractive.
I doubt the X3M has that much more interior room than your M3. I think the M3 transports kids just fine, especially older ones like yours (i have kids similar in age).
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2020, 11:19 PM   #32
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

I doubt the X3M has that much more interior room than your M3. I think the M3 transports kids just fine, especially older ones like yours (i have kids similar in age).
You do have a point there... That said, It's also the prospect of consolidating vehicles and also peace of mind (ie not having to worry about clearance, etc.)
      03-30-2020, 12:55 AM   #33
Caomei
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Fuel consumption

I've just switched from an 2018 M4 to a 2020 X3MC last week. I agree with most of the things mentioned above. I did happen to notice something interesting about the fuel consumption, and really curious to find out why.
I traveled 8 hours in the M4 and came back with the X3MC. In the M4, I could get 30mpg on pure highway. In the X3MC, I only got around 21mpg. I had Shell's V power in the M4, and BP's 93 octane in the X3MC. (Assuming both fuel contain ethanol) I didn't think there would be such a big difference in mpg on pure highway. A few factors in mind that could cause this:
1. S55 vs. S58. Similar engines, didn't think would generate this much difference in mpg, especially at high speeds.
2. Weight of the cars, didn't think would be a big factor at high speeds
3. Would think ZF8 is more efficient than the DCT.
4. Aerodynamic. I def think the M4 has better aero, as I picked up loads of bugs on the windshields of the X3MC, and almost none on the M4.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
Appreciate 1
aliu074.00
      03-30-2020, 10:29 AM   #34
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:

I went from an f30 to the x3m and there is a noticeable and meaningful difference in interior space. The x3m is much better, not even considering the trunk.
      03-30-2020, 10:52 AM   #35
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caomei View Post
I've just switched from an 2018 M4 to a 2020 X3MC last week. I agree with most of the things mentioned above. I did happen to notice something interesting about the fuel consumption, and really curious to find out why.
I traveled 8 hours in the M4 and came back with the X3MC. In the M4, I could get 30mpg on pure highway. In the X3MC, I only got around 21mpg. I had Shell's V power in the M4, and BP's 93 octane in the X3MC. (Assuming both fuel contain ethanol) I didn't think there would be such a big difference in mpg on pure highway. A few factors in mind that could cause this:
1. S55 vs. S58. Similar engines, didn't think would generate this much difference in mpg, especially at high speeds.
2. Weight of the cars, didn't think would be a big factor at high speeds
3. Would think ZF8 is more efficient than the DCT.
4. Aerodynamic. I def think the M4 has better aero, as I picked up loads of bugs on the windshields of the X3MC, and almost none on the M4.

What do you guys think?

Cheers
1. Weight
2. Aerodynamics
3. Low compression engine

all 3 = loss of 9mpg?? Seems like it.
      03-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #36
M2CLBB437M
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

I went M2 Comp (S55) to X3M Comp. Curiously the X doesn’t feel as fast, and of course is nothing like as nimble, but I have to confess it doesn’t feel special in the way that all other M cars I’ve had do. Feels like a safe, sensible family bus with little sensation of speed. I don’t love it but it’s fine as a day to day work hack. If it’s your only car, you might be disappointed. Luckily I have a manual 911 for the weekends.
Appreciate 2
AlexFL7833.00
G80BSM282.50
      03-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #37
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2CLBB437M View Post
I went M2 Comp (S55) to X3M Comp. Curiously the X doesn’t feel as fast, and of course is nothing like as nimble, but I have to confess it doesn’t feel special in the way that all other M cars I’ve had do. Feels like a safe, sensible family bus with little sensation of speed. I don’t love it but it’s fine as a day to day work hack. If it’s your only car, you might be disappointed. Luckily I have a manual 911 for the weekends.
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. It just shows how different the individual perception can be. For example, I test drove the M2C and it felt like a cheap, detuned budget M car that pretends to be fast but barely moves. Maybe i felt it that way because I was comparing it to my M4.
Appreciate 2
new2the3377.50
G80BSM282.50
      04-01-2020, 01:29 AM   #38
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Thanks for sharing your first impressions. It just shows how different the individual perception can be. For example, I test drove the M2C and it felt like a cheap, detuned budget M car that pretends to be fast but barely moves. Maybe i felt it that way because I was comparing it to my M4.
I’m really curious. Was that M2 Competition you test drove detuned to 250 HP by any chance and had a 230i badge? Don’t get me wrong, the X3MC is quick but the M2C is not slow either and it certainly does not “pretend to be fast” in any case. It’s pretty quick! Yes, the interior might be cheap-er compared to the X3MC. I’m thinking about getting an X3MC my self because it’s a better daily than my M2C but certainly not because it’s faster..

For your viewing pleasure:

Last edited by G80BSM; 04-01-2020 at 01:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00
      04-01-2020, 03:17 AM   #39
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.111 View Post
I’m really curious. Was that M2 Competition you test drove detuned to 250 HP by any chance and had a 230i badge? Don’t get me wrong, the X3MC is quick but the M2C is not slow either and it certainly does not “pretend to be fast” in any case. It’s pretty quick! Yes, the interior might be cheap-er compared to the X3MC. I’m thinking about getting an X3MC my self because it’s a better daily than my M2C but certainly not because it’s faster..
Hey, thanks for reaching out. That carwow video in rain was indeed fun to watch. The one I test drove was the non-comp M2. Even the M2C is not quick by any means by today’s standards, mostly because it lacks the absolutely crucial M xDrive. Let’s not mix up “nimble” with “quick”. According to C&D, my heavy X3 “truck” is 0.7 sec faster 0-60 than the M2C. However, M2 must be extremely fun to drive /drift. Glad to hear you are considering an X3MC. Not only it’s very practical, but it’s also seriously quick and very fun to drive for an SUV. Thus, it’s the perfect interpretation of an M SUV, imo.
Appreciate 1
G80BSM282.50
      04-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #40
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey, thanks for reaching out. That carwow video in rain was indeed fun to watch. The one I test drove was the non-comp M2. Even the M2C is not quick by any means by today’s standards, mostly because it lacks the absolutely crucial M xDrive. Let’s not mix up “nimble” with “quick”. According to C&D, my heavy X3 “truck” is 0.7 sec faster 0-60 than the M2C. However, M2 must be extremely fun to drive /drift. Glad to hear you are considering an X3MC. Not only it’s very practical, but it’s also seriously quick and very fun to drive for an SUV. Thus, it’s the perfect interpretation of an M SUV, imo.
Ahh - The 0-60 times! I was not comparing the "nimbleness" with the "quickness" but at the same time, I did not just have the 0-60 times in my mind. Yes, the "truck" is pretty quick. I have no doubt about that. I don't launch my car most of the time and that's why I also had what comes after 60mph in my mind when saying that an M4/M2C is not slow. If you look at the times posted by Autotopnl (not saying that they are 100 % accurate but they do use Dragy and apparently it's pretty accurate) the M4 and the M2C did actually achieve a slightly better 0-200 Km/hr time. So, IMHO, it's not slow. I'm not saying that your "truck" is not quick. I'm just saying that M4's and M2C's are not slow either.. Anyhoo, I'm still going to transfer my M2C for an X3M. That being said, I have an M2CS on order for the "nimbleness" and which is why I'm going for the "truck."
Thanks and stay safe my friend!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 10:14 PM   #41
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Ahh - The 0-60 times! I was not comparing the "nimbleness" with the "quickness" but at the same time, I did not just have the 0-60 times in my mind. Yes, the "truck" is pretty quick. I have no doubt about that. I don't launch my car most of the time and that's why I also had what comes after 60mph in my mind when saying that an M4/M2C is not slow. If you look at the times posted by Autotopnl (not saying that they are 100 % accurate but they do use Dragy and apparently it's pretty accurate) the M4 and the M2C did actually achieve a slightly better 0-200 Km/hr time. So, IMHO, it's not slow. I'm not saying that your "truck" is not quick. I'm just saying that M4's and M2C's are not slow either.. Anyhoo, I'm still going to transfer my M2C for an X3M. That being said, I have an M2CS on order for the "nimbleness" and which is why I'm going for the "truck."
Thanks and stay safe my friend!
Thanks for reaching out, my friend. Attached are the C/D test results for my truck and your toy vehicle. Stats on the left belong to my truck. Have a great day!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:04 AM   #42
G80BSM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reaching out, my friend. Attached are the C/D test results for my truck and your toy vehicle. Stats on the left belong to my truck. Have a great day!
I appreciate the response but I must agree to disagree. I am attaching the results for motor trend's testing below and according to that my "toy" was 0.1 slower to the quarter-mile. So I will still remain firm on the fact that your truck is definitely Fast, but an M2 Competiton that is detuned compared to an M4, is behind with a 0.1 difference. In any case, I hope you enjoy your 'Truck'. But, by being 0.1 sec slower, I don't think it is appropriate to state that it barely moves. Enjoy your truck in good health, my friend. I'm out and this will be my last post regarding this so cheers!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyo...mparison-test/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...d-cons-review/

P.S: I'm not that great with charts and editing so you might have to scroll down a bit to see the results. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 12:18 AM   #43
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I appreciate the response but I must agree to disagree. I am attaching the results for motor trend's testing below and according to that my "toy" was 0.1 slower to the quarter-mile. So I will still remain firm on the fact that your truck is definitely Fast, but an M2 Competiton that is detuned compared to an M4, is behind with a 0.1 difference. In any case, I hope you enjoy your 'Truck'. But, by being 0.1 sec slower, I don't think it is appropriate to state that it barely moves. Enjoy your truck in good health, my friend. I'm out and this will be my last post regarding this so cheers!

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/toyo...mparison-test/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/bmw/...d-cons-review/

P.S: I'm not that great with charts and editing so you might have to scroll down a bit to see the results. Thanks!
C/D is the industry standard for car acceleration tests. That Motortrend 1/4 mile time for my truck is incorrect. I can show you countless dragy results from me, and other guys who own this truck, that show 11.x sec for the 1/4 mile. Some of the magazines haven’t yet figured out how to properly engage the launch control on this truck. Once properly launched, my X3MC will beat your M2C... no matter whether it’s 0-60, 1/4 mile, or 100-200 kmh. Having said that, enjoy your M2 and good luck with the M2 CS! Hope to see you back here on the forum!

P.S.: Here is an interesting thread for some advanced reading!
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444613

Best regards,

Alex

Last edited by AlexFL; 04-17-2020 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2020, 08:19 AM   #44
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
C/D is the industry standard for car acceleration tests. That Motortrend 1/4 mile time for my truck is incorrect. I can show you countless dragy results from me, and other guys who own this truck, that show 11.x sec for the 1/4 mile. Some of the magazines haven’t yet figured out how to properly engage the launch control on this truck. Once properly launched, my huge truck will eat your tiny toy pretender alive... no matter whether it’s 0-60, 1/4 mile, or 100-200 kmh. Having said that, enjoy your M2 and good luck with the M2 CS! Hope to see you back here on the forum!

P.S.: Here is an interesting thread for some advanced reading!
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1444613

Best regards,

Alex
Motortrend and Motorweek Launch with a quick stab of the fuel at the start and do not engage Launch Control. Launch Control, used correctly, leaves with 10psi of boost.

As an example, my wife, yesterday had a full tank of fuel, heavy winter tires and me in the passenger seat......cut back to back 3.60 zero to 60mph passes. LC ftw !
Appreciate 1
AlexFL7833.00