BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-19-2022, 06:17 AM   #67
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockDM View Post
First track day in the books!

My current setup:
- F80 Paul Stage 1 E60
- RK Tunes front mount intakes
- 21' BC Forged RZ01's with 265/295 Michelin PS4S
- Passenger and rear seats pulled out

Excellent images and runs!

Did you by chance weigh the seats while you had them out? (would be helpful to have as reference in the 1/4 thread)
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      05-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #68
BrockDM
Captain
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Hey Brock, given the challenge of launching with the extra power, have you considered an M5 / X5M caliper upgrade?

A few of us on here have done it. If you get the right calipers (X5M) it's a bolt on job which can be done in an hour, you can swing it for less than $2000 USD too.

I bought slightly used calipers with virtually new pads and its worked a treat.
I track my X3M at the race circuit so also added ducts. The combination has worked brilliantly here (where I have to brake from 220kph to around 80kph) and it def helps hold the car when launching too.

If you do some searches the various posts on the subject will come up.

Just a note on tyre pressures too.
I have only done 3 x 1/4 mile runs with my car after the PJ tune and managed 60ft times of 1.62, 1.61 and 1.66.
All runs were done on the street using between 30 and 32 psi with the same tyre combo as you - MP4S 265 front and 295 rear.

Just some food for thought given the higher pressures you ran.
I actually did look into the X5M brake upgrade! I saw Kevin_The_Clean1 created a thread about it but I didn't realize people had them up and running already. It is certainly something I have my eye on at some point. I don't have immediate plans on pulling the trigger so I figured just a pad upgrade would serve me well for now. I love that I don't have to fork over $4k for Brembo's like I did on my S4 haha!

As for tire pressures, I do agree with you. As you mentioned, those work great on the street and I always air down to achieve my best runs. I haven't had a chance to launch the 265/295 combo on the street just yet so I'll report back when I can.

The same tire pressures don't really translate to a prepped track though. Nearly every time I dropped that low in an AWD car with a "brake boost" style launch control it never can hold the car back. Which is what led me to experimenting with upping the PSI. It may work for some instances but most of the time, from my personal experiences, I always have to air up with street tires at the track.
      05-19-2022, 09:09 AM   #69
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Excellent images and runs!

Did you by chance weigh the seats while you had them out? (would be helpful to have as reference in the 1/4 thread)
I did! I totally meant to include those in the post. I'll actually update it to reflect them. I haven't weighed the spare tire and jack/tools just yet but that's next on the list. I also plan to weigh the entire car without the seats next time I pull them.

Here ya go!
- Passenger seat: 56lbs
- Rear seat backs: 55lbs
- Rear bench cushion: 14lbs
      05-19-2022, 10:41 AM   #70
goldfz8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Bmw 135

Abit over 100lbs....What front and rear seat options do you have? vented heated etc.

Quote:
I did! I totally meant to include those in the post. I'll actually update it to reflect them. I haven't weighed the spare tire and jack/tools just yet but that's next on the list. I also plan to weigh the entire car without the seats next time I pull them.

Here ya go!
- Passenger seat: 56lbs
- Rear seat backs: 55lbs
- Rear bench cushion: 14lbs
2016 BMW X6
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:57 AM   #71
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfz8 View Post
Abit over 100lbs....What front and rear seat options do you have? vented heated etc.
Fronts are heated and ventilated, the rears are heated.

I was quite surprised, I thought the passenger seat would be much heavier than it was. My old Audi S4 seats were like 80lbs and not even ventilated ha. They did have massage functions tho
      05-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #72
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
I actually did look into the X5M brake upgrade! I saw Kevin_The_Clean1 created a thread about it but I didn't realize people had them up and running already. It is certainly something I have my eye on at some point. I don't have immediate plans on pulling the trigger so I figured just a pad upgrade would serve me well for now. I love that I don't have to fork over $4k for Brembo's like I did on my S4 haha!

As for tire pressures, I do agree with you. As you mentioned, those work great on the street and I always air down to achieve my best runs. I haven't had a chance to launch the 265/295 combo on the street just yet so I'll report back when I can.

The same tire pressures don't really translate to a prepped track though. Nearly every time I dropped that low in an AWD car with a "brake boost" style launch control it never can hold the car back. Which is what led me to experimenting with upping the PSI. It may work for some instances but most of the time, from my personal experiences, I always have to air up with street tires at the track.
Cheers for the explanation, that is very interesting re road and strip differences for air pressures.
If you do decide to update the brakes, just make sure you get either the x5m brakes or the M5 calipers with the right adaptor.

Mine arrived perfectly ready to go, so I was obviously lucky having the right brackets, Kevin was unlucky and had a lot more trouble.

Btw, I have reached out to PJ about the tune update, will see if he thinks its worthwhile.
Appreciate 3
BrockDM2036.00
Nippa16.50
      05-20-2022, 09:06 AM   #73
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
Cheers for the explanation, that is very interesting re road and strip differences for air pressures.
If you do decide to update the brakes, just make sure you get either the x5m brakes or the M5 calipers with the right adaptor.

Mine arrived perfectly ready to go, so I was obviously lucky having the right brackets, Kevin was unlucky and had a lot more trouble.

Btw, I have reached out to PJ about the tune update, will see if he thinks its worthwhile.
I will likely reach out to you guys when the time comes so I know for sure haha.

Keep us posted on the tune updates!
      05-29-2022, 04:41 PM   #74
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

G8X Engine Cover Retrofit / RK Tunes Intakes / Blackline Engine Caps

Next on the mod list was a little project I wanted to tackle for quite a few weeks now.

I installed a set of RK Tunes front mount intakes. I won't go into too much detail because these are pretty popular around here and the install was a breeze. However, I added a little twist. I wasn't a fan of the colored air filters so I picked up a set of aFe pro dry filters which have a white media. It flows much better with the color scheme that I have going on.

It doesn't stop there though. I didn't fancy the look of having no engine cover and I don't care for the big air box lid either. So I picked up a G8X M3 engine cover and modded it a little bit to fit.

I removed the back most and front most vertical edges to allow the cover to slide under the rain deck and I cut the front M logo off to allow plenty of clearance to the intake cross over pipe. Using a dremel and plastic cutting wheel it was a breeze.

The two passenger side mounting posts should like up perfectly and then I relocated one of the drive side posts, closest to the windshield into a pre drilled hole. It appears some manifolds come with them and some don't. Mine did and I was able to line up 3 out of the 4 OE mounting posts. I simply zip tied the driver side front corner of the cover and it's held in place nice and secure! I also removed the oil tube extension since it's not needed anymore. It just unbolts and the engine cap fits back on. Tossed on some Blackline billet caps and the bay is coming together nicely!

RK Tunes Intakes with aFe Filters

G8X Engine Cover Retrofit

Finished Product

Last edited by BrockDM; 03-13-2023 at 06:26 PM..
Appreciate 4
r33_RGSport12803.00
dooo97.00
R0ot.Us3r219.50
      06-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #75
The1EyedPigF97
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC F97

Love the build man!

I have a random request for you, if you dont mind and when you have time.

Can you do a data log in 4th from 2500rpm to redline and post it? mostly I am curious to see the Vanos request vs actual for inlet and exhaust side.

I am not sure if Bootmod3 allows you to log this.

I would appreciate it if you do this. I am chasing a gremlin with my exhaust vanos req vs actual having high deviation.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #76
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1EyedPigF97 View Post
Love the build man!

I have a random request for you, if you dont mind and when you have time.

Can you do a data log in 4th from 2500rpm to redline and post it? mostly I am curious to see the Vanos request vs actual for inlet and exhaust side.

I am not sure if Bootmod3 allows you to log this.

I would appreciate it if you do this. I am chasing a gremlin with my exhaust vanos req vs actual having high deviation.
Unfortunately there isn't a parameter for that within BM3
      06-01-2022, 03:47 PM   #77
The1EyedPigF97
Private
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3MC F97

Quote:
Unfortunately there isn't a parameter for that within BM3
ah well thats unfortunate.

But thanks anyway!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      06-08-2022, 03:44 PM   #78
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

New Personal Best!

Last week I ventured out to my somewhat "home track" US 41 for my first time in the X3M.

The DA was a little lower than my first track day though not by much. It was roughly 81F and 2300 DA when I got there and cooled off throughout the night.

My first run was the only one worth writing home about but mannn was it worth it! I laid down a new personal best of 10.41 at 132.2mph! To the best of my knowledge and research, this is the fastest X3M / X4M pass recorded on a drag strip. Yes, I know there is faster on dragy, in the middle of winter.

My tires were very toasty after an hour long drive to get to the track. I recall them being somewhere in the 100F territory which ultimately led to my killer 60' of 1.57 on street tires. After that pass, the car cooled off for quite a while, my tires cooled down and so did the track. I struggled with traction issues for the remainder of the night as the track prep wore off so no other times worthy of sharing.

I grabbed a clip of the run and recorded an in-car Dragy video so enjoy and til next time!

06-08-2022, 08:39 PM   #79
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
10.41 at 132.2mph! …60' of 1.57 on street tires.
jfc those are some ridiculous numbers…. congrats!!!
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
///minh564.00
BrockDM2036.00
      06-09-2022, 03:12 AM   #80
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

That a damn good 1/4 mile time Brock.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2022, 08:56 AM   #81
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
jfc those are some ridiculous numbers…. congrats!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
That a damn good 1/4 mile time Brock.
Thanks fellas! This platform continues to amaze me time and time again. I think I'm approaching the grip limits for street tires at this power level. Not sure I want to go the radial route but that may be the next step.
      06-09-2022, 11:48 AM   #82
Neophyte
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp

Amazing time and trap speed. Any reason you haven't done downpipes or any exhaust mod?

Also, do you think a custom 93 map is worth it?
      06-09-2022, 01:20 PM   #83
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neophyte View Post
Amazing time and trap speed. Any reason you haven't done downpipes or any exhaust mod?

Also, do you think a custom 93 map is worth it?
The county I live in is subject to emissions testing 4 years after the build date so I'm hesitant to go catless and have to pull them back off in a couple years. I don't think the performance is huge though it will benefit a little bit. I'm waiting for Active Autowerke to release their midpipe and axel back and I will likely run that.

As for 93, I've never ran a custom map for that octane so I'm not sure what the benefits are if any. My assumption though is you become octane limited before anything else and it seems BM3 has done a great job with their OTS files so I don't see much room to gain there. Since the BM3 license includes one file I used that on their 93 and it felt really good.
      07-13-2022, 10:34 AM   #84
izjamest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (2022)

First of all, amazing car and mods!!!!
Second, can't believe you beat that Audi R8 with the V10, I wish I could see the driver's face.
Third, I love that look of the dual air intakes, keeps it aggressive and fierce. Stupid question for you though: Does it become an issue when there is heavy rain and water splashing into the front of the car?

Subscribed to this thread and looking forward to more amazing pictures!!!
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2036.00
      07-13-2022, 10:35 AM   #85
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Active Autowerke 3.5" Single Midpipe!

I was hoping AA would make an exhaust suite for the X3M so I was pretty excited when I saw this release. They have a great understanding of BMW's and tailoring exhaust notes which had them high on my list.

When the box arrived, everything was packed very well. These units appear to be very well made and the overall quality seems top notch. The welds are very nice, nothing looks out of place, no dents or dings etc. Very pleased with the unboxing experience and product itself.

Install:
I tackled the install alone in my garage and it was very manageable. I would say a 2/5 in terms of difficulty. I used wheel cribs to prop the rear of vehicle a little higher to give me some extra room. Being lowered almost 2" on coilvers didn't help this one ha.

- The whole process is very straight forward. You need to remove the two plastic shrouds located just in front of each rear wheel. There were a dozen or so 8mm bolts, 2 of which are in the wheel well and a single 10mm plastic nut holding the plastic shroud to a fabric one.
- With those out of the way, you can access the aluminum chassis brace which also needs to be removed. There are another dozen 13mm bolts holding this on. You will need to remove them all to drop it out of the way.
- Now with full access to the mid section you can start cutting. There is a single dimple just after the resonator on each side. This is where you will cut. You can reference my photos below and see but it's pretty easy to locate and identify. I chose to use an exhaust pipe cutter given the limited space and ease of use. It took maybe 2-3 mins of rotation but it came off very ease and very clean. I would recommend buying a new one before tackling since these dull out after the first couple uses and become much harder to cut.
- After both sides are cut you can start unbolting the exhaust. 4 nuts attached to the downpipe and 1 on a hanger near the downpipe flange. I used a jack to hold the rear section of the midpipe up while I unbolted the front. It came right out with no fuss.

Installing the AA pipe in the reverse order required nothing special. I attached the two short pipes with a little play in them so I could maneuver them as needed. Make sure you tuck the midpipe up as high as you can so you have plenty of clearance from the chassis brace. Tighten everything down and you're good to go. Fitment was spot on and I had no issues aligning anything up. Nothing needed excessive force or adjusting, it literally pushed up into place with ease.

Before lowering the car down I started it and checked all connections for leaks. Once I confirmed none I buttoned the brace and panels back up and took it for a spin.

Sound Impressions:
Valves closed-
I noticed right away that with the valves closed on start up it's only marginally louder than stock which is perfect. I want quiet starts in the morning so my neighbors don't hate me. Driving around town in Efficient with the valves closed is very tamed. Marginally louder than stock when accelerating under normal conditions but once it's under WOT you can start to tell it sounds different. The note sounds very OEM just enhanced. It doesn't sound raspy and has a slightly deeper tone but very OEM. Took it on the highway for a short drive and I didn't hear any drone at all. Like literally zero. This is probably the best part of this whole kit. I hate modifying exhausts that sound great when you want them to but suck when you want things quite. This isn't that.

Valves open-
Going into Sport Plus you can instantly hear the growl and rumble. It has a nice deep tone with many of the characteristics of the OEM exhaust still present and yet again enhanced and amplified. Under 3500rpm the car is still tamed but has a known presence vs stock. It isn't obnoxious but it's also not quiet. A very nice balance of sound is the best way to describe it.

Under WOT this thing sounds rowdy hahah! It really starts to sing but it doesn't get raspy at all. It has the signature characteristics of a straight 6 exhaust note with a pitch that gets higher as the revs climb but it's not a tin can raspy sound. I would say this is probably boarder line as loud as you can get without introducing rasp with the factory exhaust. You can sorta tell it's right at the cusp of getting raspy but falls short.

Crackles on revs and deceleration are very pronounced. I had the OTS 93 tune flashed from BM3 with the OTS burbles and it crackles like crazy haha. They are deep and aggressive sounding even with the stock downpipes. A little much for me but luckily I can adjust them. The downshifts are intoxicating and I find myself driving in manual much more often now ha. There is an aggressive crack on upshifts too, more pronounced than before. You'll hear them in the video below.

Overall I'm very pleased with this one. It brings you noise, with no drone, and mitigates any rasp. Hard to really ask for much else.

This unit also sheds 12lbs from the factory midpipe setup.

See below for a before and after video. I'm running stock downpipes and stock rear muffler.

Last edited by BrockDM; 07-13-2022 at 01:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
      07-13-2022, 10:56 AM   #86
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjamest View Post
First of all, amazing car and mods!!!!
Second, can't believe you beat that Audi R8 with the V10, I wish I could see the driver's face.
Third, I love that look of the dual air intakes, keeps it aggressive and fierce. Stupid question for you though: Does it become an issue when there is heavy rain and water splashing into the front of the car?

Subscribed to this thread and looking forward to more amazing pictures!!!
Thanks a ton! I haven't had any issues with the front mount intakes. I just got back from a 2700 mile road trip down to Florida and got stuck in half a dozen down pours and it didn't skip a beat. As long as you aren't WOT through standing water or crazy rain you won't have any issues. You shouldnt be doin that anyways tho hahah
      07-13-2022, 04:03 PM   #87
izjamest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (2022)

Quote:
Thanks a ton! I haven't had any issues with the front mount intakes. I just got back from a 2700 mile road trip down to Florida and got stuck in half a dozen down pours and it didn't skip a beat. As long as you aren't WOT through standing water or crazy rain you won't have any issues. You shouldnt be doin that anyways tho hahah
I see. Cool.
Another question for you, I just got my M40i a month ago. Been dying to wrap those V-Braces. How hard is it? You have any good videos to share? From what I understand the only thing we need to remove is the Kidney grille?

I love the carbon trim steering wheel. But that task is out of my skill level!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 05:10 PM   #88
BrockDM
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izjamest View Post
I see. Cool.
Another question for you, I just got my M40i a month ago. Been dying to wrap those V-Braces. How hard is it? You have any good videos to share? From what I understand the only thing we need to remove is the Kidney grille?

I love the carbon trim steering wheel. But that task is out of my skill level!
The V brace was super easy. Pull the kidney grills out and just slap vinyl on it. It took me like 30 mins start to finish.

The steering wheel trim wasn't bad either. There are a bunch of good youtube guides from IND on how to remove it.