BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-15-2022, 03:11 PM   #1
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3m

Uk LCI owners, adaptive headlights ?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Picked up my X3m comp on Saturday. Loving it so far, will get some pictures up shortly.

I have been out for the first time tonight in the dark and I don’t feel that the headlights are adaptive when cornering.

I have the standard led headlights not the laser lights. They are still listed as cornering lights when turning the wheel, as per my 2019 X3m when lasers weren’t an option.

I have just looked online and the config still shows adaptive headlights as standard. Can anybody shed some light ( excuse the pun ) on this?

If I knew the lights weren’t adaptive when Corning I would have ticked laser lights.

Also while I’m creating a post, has anybody got a mobility kit in the boot? I have the foam box for it but no kit, this was also an issue back in 2019 when they were missing
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:03 PM   #2
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky401 View Post
Picked up my X3m comp on Saturday. Loving it so far, will get some pictures up shortly.

I have been out for the first time tonight in the dark and I don’t feel that the headlights are adaptive when cornering.

I have the standard led headlights not the laser lights. They are still listed as cornering lights when turning the wheel, as per my 2019 X3m when lasers weren’t an option.

I have just looked online and the config still shows adaptive headlights as standard. Can anybody shed some light ( excuse the pun ) on this?

If I knew the lights weren’t adaptive when Corning I would have ticked laser lights.

Also while I’m creating a post, has anybody got a mobility kit in the boot? I have the foam box for it but no kit, this was also an issue back in 2019 when they were missing
Have you got two buttons in the left indicator stalk? If yes, the bottom one is the adaptive headlights button. You should have them as standard.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:46 PM   #3
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Moff, brilliant thanks for your reply. I do have two, no idea what the bottom one does. I thought I had read somewhere about high beam assist but couldn’t be sure

I will pop out tomorrow night and give it a try, hopefully you have just solved my issue.

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 01:39 AM   #4
kzg1969
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp / M3 E93

pretty sure the bottom one is HBA - little light should come on when pressed (IIRC)

cant you just aim the car at a wall and turn the steering wheel - pattern should change
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 01:48 AM   #5
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzg1969 View Post
pretty sure the bottom one is HBA - little light should come on when pressed (IIRC)

cant you just aim the car at a wall and turn the steering wheel - pattern should change
That’s the issue I don’t think the pattern changes

Will give pressing that button a try later
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 11:13 AM   #6
HoJoRo
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mustang Bullitt

kzg is correct .. the lower button on the left stalk is for turning on and off high beam assist.
Adaptive headlight functionality is managed by your primary light switch, set to auto (12 o'clock). The are many factors that determine how both HBA and Adaptivity behave, such as speed, location ( rural or city) outside ambient lighting.
A good place to start Tricky is your BMW Connected App drivers guide , where you can access a wealth of information and the X3MC Owners manual.
Great to see your X3MC has arrived , looking forward to your pics
Gone: 2018 F32 440i MSport+ - Alpine White
Gone: 2018 F87 M2 - Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #7
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoJoRo View Post
kzg is correct .. the lower button on the left stalk is for turning on and off high beam assist.
Adaptive headlight functionality is managed by your primary light switch, set to auto (12 o'clock). The are many factors that determine how both HBA and Adaptivity behave, such as speed, location ( rural or city) outside ambient lighting.
A good place to start Tricky is your BMW Connected App drivers guide , where you can access a wealth of information and the X3MC Owners manual.
Great to see your X3MC has arrived , looking forward to your pics
Thanks for the reply. Well it definitely didn’t work last night on my way home with a mix of roads and speeds. My 2019 x3m was adaptive all the time regardless of those things.

I will have to try again later and see what happens. I will be pretty gutted if it’s not adaptive after all of this
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 12:10 PM   #8
HoJoRo
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Well it definitely didn’t work last night on my way home with a mix of roads and speeds. My 2019 x3m was adaptive all the time regardless of those things.

I will have to try again later and see what happens. I will be pretty gutted if it’s not adaptive after all of this

Hi mate does your build sheet show "552 Adaptive LED Headlights" ,, they are standard on the X3MC UK

I am wondering if there is something in ID7 that needs to be ticked ...??
Attached Images

Last edited by HoJoRo; 03-16-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
Max Well4716.00
      03-16-2022, 03:19 PM   #9
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yep my spec on vin decoder shows adaptive led headlights

I have just been out and tried it at different speeds and out in the sticks, HBA works great however the lights still do not turn when Cornering
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 03:53 PM   #10
JB20DGM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

My understanding was that the LCI lights don't swivel like the pre-LCI models with a mechanical system, and that hardware was removed from the setup. The LCI ones are reliant on the matrix led technology for the adaptive portion/local dimming.

Though the actual (side?) cornering lights for tight turns (think pulling into a parking space or driveway) are still present. There were a few other posts about this here at some point.
Appreciate 2
Max Well4716.00
HoJoRo315.50
      03-16-2022, 04:27 PM   #11
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB20DGM View Post
My understanding was that the LCI lights don't swivel like the pre-LCI models with a mechanical system, and that hardware was removed from the setup. The LCI ones are reliant on the matrix led technology for the adaptive portion/local dimming.

Though the actual (side?) cornering lights for tight turns (think pulling into a parking space or driveway) are still present. There were a few other posts about this here at some point.
Ah if that’s correct then thats really frustrating as I would have upgraded to laser headlights to get the movement. The bmw website states headlights that move with the steering wheel so surely this means they should move like the old ones?

Can somebody with an LCI clarify if theirs move or not with the wheel? Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 04:35 PM   #12
JonD999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Ah if that’s correct then thats really frustrating as I would have upgraded to laser headlights to get the movement. The bmw website states headlights that move with the steering wheel so surely this means they should move like the old ones?

Can somebody with an LCI clarify if theirs move or not with the wheel? Many thanks
You’re correct, according to the configurator ‘In addition, they include Adaptive Headlights that follow the steering angle of the front wheels

I’d take it up with your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:

I'm not in the UK, Tricky401, but I can indeed confirm that the LCI's headlamps 'rotate the light beam' in the direction of travel to better illuminate a turn. Getting into a bit of semantics here as it isn't a 'mechanical turning' of the actual light apparatus, but as was discussed in a thread somewhere (I can search if needed), I believe Tim@codemybimmer explained the matrix technology in detail. Makes sense that they'd wish to move away from moving parts which can break down, to an LED algorithm which can switch on beams aiming to the side without that mechanical component.

Just this morning I followed my wife into work in the dark and with every turn her intended pathway was widened by the matrix algorithm.

Edit 547PM: found the discussion in my Delivery thread, posts 181, 183 and 184: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852603

Last edited by Max Well; 03-16-2022 at 04:48 PM.. Reason: Added the link to the discussion of the matrix technology
Appreciate 1
HoJoRo315.50
      03-16-2022, 04:51 PM   #14
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

JonD and Maxwell, many thanks for clarifying that for me. I will fire the dealer an message to see what they think. I have had adaptive lights on my last 4 cars so would pick it without hesitation if it wasn’t standard spec.

Maxwell, or any UK owners can you confirm if the lights “turn” when turning the wheel while stationary?

Appreciate everybody’s input on this so far
Appreciate 2
Max Well4716.00
JonD99995.00
      03-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #15
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
JonD and Maxwell, many thanks for clarifying that for me. I will fire the dealer an message to see what they think. I have had adaptive lights on my last 4 cars so would pick it without hesitation if it wasn’t standard spec.

Maxwell, or any UK owners can you confirm if the lights “turn” when turning the wheel while stationary?

Appreciate everybody’s input on this so far
Still light over here, Tricky401, but I'll make a note to check in the morning if Jon doesn't reply sooner.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 05:49 AM   #16
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

I can confirm the following:

Matrix 'cornering' lighting turns on with a 180 degree turn of the steering wheel to light the intended direction of travel (doesn't turn on with only 90 degrees of rotation). This occurs whether in Park, Reverse, or Drive. As the conditions were near perfect with fog and a full moon I took some images. When I get a chance to prep them I'll add to my Delivery comparison thread as I also took some of my pre-LCI as well.

Last edited by Max Well; 03-17-2022 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #17
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Max Well thanks very much for confirming this. Hoping that US spec standard fit adaptive are the same as UK spec

I have contacted the dealer now so will await a response.

Not sure what the outcome can actually be if the description is wrong on the config. Already waited 7 months for the car to arrive in my perfect spec/ colour combo. Doubt I could wait again
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 07:58 AM   #18
JonD999
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Max Well thanks very much for confirming this. Hoping that US spec standard fit adaptive are the same as UK spec

I have contacted the dealer now so will await a response.

Not sure what the outcome can actually be if the description is wrong on the config. Already waited 7 months for the car to arrive in my perfect spec/ colour combo. Doubt I could wait again
Hopefully it’s something that can be resolved, what spec/combo did you go for.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 12:02 PM   #19
HoJoRo
First Lieutenant
Rep

I'll check my lights out tonight , upon a visual inspection i can see the cornering matrix element located in the inner most section of the headlight housing closest to the "M" grill

That said the LCI lights are the best and brightest of anything I have run with in recent years (BMW specific) and ever in reality.
I elected not to run with the Lasers, as all the reviews of both options showed little difference between the two in terms of functionality and performance
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2022, 04:41 PM   #20
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for all the replies guys. Still waiting to hear back from the dealer. Either mega busy, annoyed with another email from me or actually looking into it as it’s not clear enough online

JonD, my spec is marina bay blue, sakhir orange inside ( superman spec), red brakes, 892 wheels, tech pack, pan roof and tow bar

Over the moon with how the car looks. Just this headlight and one other small issue currently to sort out
Appreciate 1
JonD99995.00
      03-23-2022, 08:32 AM   #21
Tricky401
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Small update on this. The supplying dealer told me they should move when Corning, the dealer it’s in for warranty work can’t find any issues

They also couldn’t find anything wrong with part of the seat leather that’s damaged until I explained it for the 3rd time

Don’t know what to think now
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #22
PAS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i LCI BG

This is from the UK Configurator
Attached Images

Appreciate 0