BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-11-2019, 01:57 PM   #23
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Did your poll differentiate the trunk opening due to faulty sensor vs. inadvertent key fob pressing? My impression after reading most of the posts is that the faulty sensor is a lot less common vs 'butt dialing' the key fob.
No, it did not get into that level of detail because I think in a lot of cases it was not at all clear what caused the trunk to open. Accidental key fob presses certainly seem like a more likely culprit and several have reported no further issues after adding a fob cover. I would agree that is probably responsible for the majority of the 30% reported problems.

However, there is clearly also an issue that is not related to the key fob. Given that I live in a very rainy area, coupled with my intent to use automated car washes, that is what is giving me reason to think about a proactive workaround rather than hoping I don't encounter the problem.

Personally I have no interest in using the kick-to-open feature so I might just ask for that to be disabled as a low-impact preventative measure. I guess I may also add a key fob cover just for safety, although I'd rather not add the bulk that comes with that.

HoustonEaDo I tend to agree with you that forums will attract more folks who are looking to troubleshoot a problem, but I also feel like this forum attracts a lot of enthusiasts interested in getting the most from their existing car and researching options for their next one. That is why I'm here for example. I still feel like that 30% reported failure rate is probably not too far from the truth.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

My opinion, but for the poll to be meaningful, I think you'd have to include model year, production week, kick to open sensor, etc...again, just an opinion.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 11:59 PM   #25
wannax3?
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i in future

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
No, it did not get into that level of detail because I think in a lot of cases it was not at all clear what caused the trunk to open. Accidental key fob presses certainly seem like a more likely culprit and several have reported no further issues after adding a fob cover. I would agree that is probably responsible for the majority of the 30% reported problems.

However, there is clearly also an issue that is not related to the key fob. Given that I live in a very rainy area, coupled with my intent to use automated car washes, that is what is giving me reason to think about a proactive workaround rather than hoping I don't encounter the problem.

Personally I have no interest in using the kick-to-open feature so I might just ask for that to be disabled as a low-impact preventative measure. I guess I may also add a key fob cover just for safety, although I'd rather not add the bulk that comes with that.

HoustonEaDo I tend to agree with you that forums will attract more folks who are looking to troubleshoot a problem, but I also feel like this forum attracts a lot of enthusiasts interested in getting the most from their existing car and researching options for their next one. That is why I'm here for example. I still feel like that 30% reported failure rate is probably not too far from the truth.
Just to note that I live in the same rainy, slushy area, have the kick-to-open feature, which I use a lot, and also have gone thru at least a dozen car washes, and have never had an inadvertent trunk opening. So, at least one case of the feature working without trouble. Also, I use it far more than I expected to.

For the OP, hope our friends at Bellevue BMW get it sorted out.

Max
Appreciate 1
XGoober295.00
      03-12-2019, 12:02 AM   #26
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannax3? View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post

Just to note that I live in the same rainy, slushy area, have the kick-to-open feature, which I use a lot, and also have gone thru at least a dozen car washes, and have never had an inadvertent trunk opening. So, at least one case of the feature working without trouble. Also, I use it far more than I expected to.

For the OP, hope our friends at Bellevue BMW get it sorted out.

Max
Good to hear. Thanks Max.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #27
maximumeffort
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x3 M40i

Crap. I had this happen 2x since buying the car a week ago.

Walked into my office and a coworker told me my trunk was open.
It was closed when I walked in. The car WAS wet after a small snow/wet drive.

Another time the trunk was open at home in my garage as I walked out. (don't recall weather conditions before coming home)

Definitely not an issue with me pressing the keyfob.

That's all I need. Another car with electrical gremlins (Just finished a Jaguar F-Pace S, Lemon Law BuyBack before buying the M40i.).
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #28
Dan_80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Good follow up OP. I recall that when my rear trunk opened in the highway, I also just drove through a very wet road and even heard the water splashed to the bottom of the car. Maybe there is something wrong with the wet condition.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:32 AM   #29
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

I washed my car yesterday and while I was spraying water around the rear driver side bumper, the trunk opened up. It happened twice. Both times my feet were no where near the underbody sensors.

The key was in my pocket, but I have a case so no way it could have accidentally been pressed
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #30
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
I washed my car yesterday and while I was spraying water around the rear driver side bumper, the trunk opened up. It happened twice. Both times my feet were no where near the underbody sensors.

The key was in my pocket, but I have a case so no way it could have accidentally been pressed
Can the sensor mistaken the motion of the water and activated the trunk? It's been known that car washing with key fob nearby could be bad if you have comfort access... :
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 11:46 AM   #31
bmath
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I just had a trunk issue today but my only guess is that it was a sensitive FOB. I have the tow package so I DONT have the kick trunk.

I was in the car, in drive, and had JUST stopped at a red light when all of the sudden 'thunk...' and the trunk opened. I had to put it in park and rush out and shut it.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #32
Speedbird1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3 2023 F44 220i

Couldn't you have closed the trunk / boot using the switch on the door rather than having to get out ? I've had this issue 3 times but don't have comfort access. For me it appears I must have been inadvertently operating the fob as it stopped happening immediately after buying a key-fob cover and hasn't happened since.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #33
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmath View Post
I just had a trunk issue today but my only guess is that it was a sensitive FOB. I have the tow package so I DONT have the kick trunk.

I was in the car, in drive, and had JUST stopped at a red light when all of the sudden 'thunk...' and the trunk opened. I had to put it in park and rush out and shut it.
You could have used the trunk open/close button on the driver's door.
This random trunk opening behaviour is perturbing.

A few days ago I went to a touchless car wash for the 1st time with my X3 and, although I have never had any unintended trunk opening, I was very concerned that the water spray would open it (the car has comfort access + kick sensor). In order to minimize a disaster - in case the lid would open - not only I kept my hands close to the trunk lid button by driver's door, I also set the minimum trunk lid opening level on iDrive. After all, the lid didn't open but I'm still worried about this issue affecting so many folks.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 12:45 PM   #34
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMooseMan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmath View Post

You could have used the trunk open/close button on the driver's door.
This random trunk opening behaviour is perturbing.

A few days ago I went to a touchless car wash for the 1st time with my X3 and, although I have never had any unintended trunk opening, I was very concerned that the water spray would open it (the car has comfort access + kick sensor). In order to minimize a disaster - in case the lid would open - not only I kept my hands close to the trunk lid button by driver's door, I also set the minimum trunk lid opening level on iDrive. After all, the lid didn't open but I'm still worried about this issue affecting so many folks.
Count me as one of the lucky ones whom has had no issues with any car washes including the traditional ones using rotating brushes and hanging rags.

Just a general caution to all - when I first put in the OEM X3 trunk mat, the mat can slide around due to its slick bottom (it was later fixed by some strong adhesive-backed Velcro hook pieces). A few times, the trunk failed to close properly due to the mat getting in the way after I unloaded grocery and stuffs from trunk. The trunk lid would lower, but as soon as it hit the mat, it would 'rebound' back up a bit (a good safety feature to prevent children from getting squeezed), but no audible warning. However, if I did not pay attention to this and drive the car away with the trunk lid ajar, it would have opened while The car was moving. So, just always make sure trunk is closed tightly before driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:16 PM   #35
DHA-uk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

We had a big storm today in the south of the UK with a lot of rain. I drove on very wet roads (perhaps driving through deep water couldn't do that in my M3). once parked up the boot opened when I locked the car (via comfort access), I would press the button on the boot lid to close, but it kept re-opening. Probably happened about 5 times. I forced it closed and used the lock button on my key and that kept it shut.

I had previously had a phantom boot open when the car was in a petrol station and I was refuelling, again very wet roads.

My key on both occasions was in a pocket in my jacket so could not have been pressed, there seems to me a link between significant water under the car and the kick sensor thinking a foot is under the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 01:26 PM   #36
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

What we’re missing in many of these reports is an attempt to move the key far away from the car so that it’s out of range of comfort access.

I think there are situations where the buttons aciidentally get pressed. Easy enough to prove or disprove that with a fob cover or just leave the fob buttons undisturbed.

There are situations where the kick-to-open feature is accidentally triggered somehow (water?). In only a few cases have I seen someone report they moved the key out of range. In others the key is still in range. I remember one case where it happened over and over but the person made no effort to move the key out of range, so no wonder it kept happening. We could get some very important data if someone moves the key out of range when these problems occur. If the hatch stops the open and close cycle when the key is out of range, that strongly suggests it’s an issue with kick-to-open and comfort access.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      03-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #37
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
We could get some very important data if someone moves the key out of range when these problems occur. If the hatch stops the open and close cycle when the key is out of range, that strongly suggests it’s an issue with kick-to-open and comfort access.
In my case, the problem fixes itself after an unpredictable number of trunk open/close cycles even when I am standing next to the vehicle with the key. Because it randomly fixes itself, I believe we can't correlate key location to cause, at least in my case.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 05:36 PM   #38
noweyout
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

It has happened to me at least a handful of times. This usually happens when I am behind the car for a few minutes tying my shoes or loading the bike rack. I have had the key in my pocket and on the floor of the driveway. Weather conditions were all dry and haven't been in any recent rains or car washes. Twice it opened onto my loaded hitch bike rack. Not sure what is causing this issue for me as I don't have that kick to open feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 03:08 AM   #39
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by noweyout View Post
It has happened to me at least a handful of times. This usually happens when I am behind the car for a few minutes tying my shoes or loading the bike rack. I have had the key in my pocket and on the floor of the driveway. Weather conditions were all dry and haven't been in any recent rains or car washes. Twice it opened onto my loaded hitch bike rack. Not sure what is causing this issue for me as I don't have that kick to open feature.
It just dawned on me to correlate an experience about a month back whilst at an Asda self wash. I was spraying the car with jet wash and the bloody boot opened (like others). I only caught out of the corner of my eye but not before it got a shit load of water in it. Key was in the car so no accidental press, however I can only imagine that the water pipe was under the car at the time and it flicking around triggered it.

I won't be doing that again ...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:41 AM   #40
MyBMWX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

This has happened to me several times. And every time, I've not been near the rear of my vehicle. This morning, with Key Fob in hand, I went out to leave for work, locked my front door, turned around, and the boot was opening. I was about 30' from my car. And I couldn't get it to close from my Key Fob, I literally had to hit the close button on the boot, before it would close. My car hasn't been wet anytime that this has happened. We do live out in the country, so I'm wondering if an animal is walking under my car, and activating it?? Is there anyway I can have this deactivated? Thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 06:53 AM   #41
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

It hasn’t happened to me at all since have my keyfob in a case.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #42
GoCubs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X4 M40i

It's happened to me twice since owning the car for less than a month.

First time was the day after I bought it on a sunny day while sitting at a red light. Incidentally a minute before at the same light the car let out a siren and had a red car displayed in the dash. I'm not sure if it was driving assistance warning me for something that didn't exist or if my elbow resting on my leg pushed the panic botton on the fob that was in my pocket maybe in the same area. Likewise again to open the back. I looked like an idiot when I had to get out and shut the back while the light had already turned green.

Second time, last weekend, I had just parked and was waiting for for friends to also park when it opened. Sunny day. This time I'm 80% sure it was the elbow resting on leg on top of fob in pocket scenario. I ordered a fob case yesterday to help confirm my theory.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:38 AM   #43
djrobx
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X4 m40i Flamenco Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Did your poll differentiate the trunk opening due to faulty sensor vs. inadvertent key fob pressing? My impression after reading most of the posts is that the faulty sensor is a lot less common vs 'butt dialing' the key fob.
Yeah I've "butt dialed" the fob a few times. Usually it's when the key is in my pocket, and I squat to something up. And a couple times it's opened when my dog walked under the rear of the car while I'm standing near it. But no completely unexplained technical malfunctions like in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #44
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I had my dealer disable the kick-to-open sensor before I took delivery as a precautionary measure. Might be worth considering for anyone having this problem. For me, I never used the kick-to-open on any of my previous cars so it was no loss to have it disabled.

Of course the dealer had never ever ever seen anyone have this problem before, yadda yadda. Perhaps no-one comes to them because they know they will get a less than useless response, lol.
Appreciate 0