BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2024, 06:32 PM   #2861
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Does anyone know if a 2019 X4 with the iDrive 6, can you connect your iPhone via cable to the connector up front and play music or is it bluetooth connection only?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2024, 09:49 PM   #2862
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyde View Post
Stupid question, not sure if I'm imagining or if it was another 40i like 440i or not but wasn't X3 m40i supposed to come with blue M striped seat belts? Mine are just regular black seat belts.

Appreciate 2
      03-29-2024, 11:28 PM   #2863
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Did you buy those?
      04-02-2024, 06:40 AM   #2864
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Variable steering is a mechanical feature, cannot be altered:

If we talk about Driver mode (Comfort, Sport), the only difference is how much of force you need to provide to turn the steering wheel. Sport mode will make you feel it's stiffer.
Pepperidge farm remembers cars without any power steering. The only salvation used to be a rear engined car, but I remember many front engined car. The steering wheel was immobilised when stationary. Our fathers didn't need to go to gym.
Appreciate 2
ASAP10161.00
hyde555.50
      04-02-2024, 08:08 AM   #2865
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouchy View Post

If we talk about Driver mode (Comfort, Sport), the only difference is how much of force you need to provide to turn the steering wheel. Sport mode will make you feel it's stiffer.
Pepperidge farm remembers cars without any power steering. The only salvation used to be a rear engined car, but I remember many front engined car. The steering wheel was immobilised when stationary. Our fathers didn't need to go to gym.
this is how i always understood it...
      04-02-2024, 09:05 AM   #2866
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Trying to figure out the BMW marketing language v technical language, which may explain some of the contradictions.

The two primary components appear to be:

1) The integrated, driving speed-dependent steering assistance (Servotronic);

2) Variable Sport Steering (VSS) rack (option 2VL), which is a mechanical variable gear geometry steering rack, replacing the basic EPS constant gear geometry steering rack. The VSS isn't driving speed dependent as it's mechanically preset to vary the steering gear ratio based on steering angle.

The Servotronic assistance (steering input effort ?) changes with speed and/or driving mode (Sport, Comfort etc?), whilst the VSS doesn't, it changes the steering rack ratio based on the steering wheel input angle as shown below.

Hence, the "feeling" between the driver experience modes is due to the Servotronic system ?

Work from last image up LOL
Attached Images

Last edited by avi66; 04-02-2024 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2024, 09:08 AM   #2867
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjcJ...Px0FRu&index=4
I couldn't feel the difference until I was about to get out of a parking lot that required complete U. I think you notice the variable steering coming out of a tight spot with a very wide turn slowly. Then I realized I didn't have to do hand over hand to get out.
However it's very minimal on highway or normal driving conditions since you don't really have to turn wheel that much.
Regarding your picture, if it's mechanical, how is BMW supposed to have speed dependent variable steering? That part is still confusing me.
      04-02-2024, 10:54 PM   #2868
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Did you buy those?
Yep, to retrofit in good old usa where we don't get this option on g01.

Fucking bmw

Appreciate 4
ocdx30.00
lfdal541034.50
TXGrey1284.00
      04-02-2024, 11:10 PM   #2869
bouchy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 (G01)

Quote:
Regarding your picture, if it's mechanical, how is BMW supposed to have speed dependent variable steering? That part is still confusing me.
I think it's all about variable power steering effect (higher speed = more force needed to turn the wheel).

Quote:
...whilst the VSS doesn't, it changes the steering rack ratio based on the steering wheel input angle as shown below.
It's defined by what you have configured in your G01's order.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 12:14 AM   #2870
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Is it just me or does G01 m40i steering wheel doesn't heat up as much as my older x5. My x5 used to get so hot it would bother me and I would turn it off, but my m40i steering wheel doesn't get that hot, I had to double check of heat was on.
      04-03-2024, 03:10 AM   #2871
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I
See my post #2866 above, I think it’s the BMW Servotronic assistance that is speed/mode dependent, but the VSS just a mechanical rack with a variable steering geometry. Two different bits off the EPS system.

Hence, why imo some info appears contradictory when uses both non speed dependent (as in VSS) and speed dependent (as in Servotronic) terminology.
Appreciate 1
hyde555.50
      04-03-2024, 04:01 AM   #2872
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
...whilst the VSS doesn't, it changes the steering rack ratio based on the steering wheel input angle as shown below.

It's defined by what you have configured in your G01's order.
Not sure I follow.

I don’t know about other markets but you don’t get to configure the 2VL VSS option on the M40 in the UK, it’s standard fit.

It appears VSS isn’t optional on XLine models here, but is included on all M Sport models from 20i.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:07 AM   #2873
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Is it just me or does G01 m40i steering wheel doesn't heat up as much as my older x5. My x5 used to get so hot it would bother me and I would turn it off, but my m40i steering wheel doesn't get that hot, I had to double check of heat was on.
you can more than likely code it in to be higher with bimmercode or the dealer can turn the temp up for you... i remember seeing a few settings for temp back in the day on the coding app
      04-03-2024, 08:23 AM   #2874
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Granddaughter lost 'most favoured plastic ring' down the Isofix hole, so had to remove the back seat squab to retrieve it and avoid a meltdown.

Trouble is, I'm damned if I can get the sodding thing back in properly - the holes to feed the seatbelt anchors back through are comically small, and while I can get the two outer ones in and the seat relocated properly, the centre seat anchor won't feed through as the hole is too narrow to fit both it and the fixed RH outer through at the same time.

Has anyone encountered the same issue, and if so, how did you manage to get the centre anchor through?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 09:33 AM   #2875
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Build sheet says: 1YX 20" M Double-spoke perf RF
My M40i came with 21 inch summers… my preferences for winter options:

1. Hit the forums and buy a used 19 inch square setup with winter or AS tires already on them. Great way to save money on a full setup.

2. Buy a nice 19-inch aftermarket setup (same options as above) that is on close-out… you can save a ton that way as well.

3. Buy a full price after market setup… costs ya, but way less than OEM.

4. Pay the full price of dealer OEM winter package. Definitely costly.

I’m running an aftermarket (TireRack closeout special) 19 inch All-Seasons (square setup) for my winter tires, mainly because here in N TX, it can be 73 one day in January, then 25 degrees literally one day later. Sometimes light snow… sometimes light ice. You just never know.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:54 PM   #2876
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
My M40i came with 21 inch summers… my preferences for winter options:

1. Hit the forums and buy a used 19 inch square setup with winter or AS tires already on them. Great way to save money on a full setup.

2. Buy a nice 19-inch aftermarket setup (same options as above) that is on close-out… you can save a ton that way as well.

3. Buy a full price after market setup… costs ya, but way less than OEM.

4. Pay the full price of dealer OEM winter package. Definitely costly.

I’m running an aftermarket (TireRack closeout special) 19 inch All-Seasons (square setup) for my winter tires, mainly because here in N TX, it can be 73 one day in January, then 25 degrees literally one day later. Sometimes light snow… sometimes light ice. You just never know.

Good luck!
Thanks. I will start shopping before end of summer but is it possible to just get all season tires on these staggered setup, so I can stay with 20s for winter with all season tires instead of winter only. Our winters in NY go very dry an cold. I figure winter tires excel in snow and bad weather not in cold dry winter. I am just not sure if it's OK to use these wheels in winter.
      04-03-2024, 07:56 PM   #2877
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
you can more than likely code it in to be higher with bimmercode or the dealer can turn the temp up for you... i remember seeing a few settings for temp back in the day on the coding app
I will need to setup by to get my inspection at dealer so I'll mention this so I hope they can increase the heat.
Other problem is I don't think there is heating element on inner sides where the stitches are. It feels pretty cold around there and the little humps on M steering wheel.
      04-03-2024, 08:21 PM   #2878
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Thanks. I will start shopping before end of summer but is it possible to just get all season tires on these staggered setup, so I can stay with 20s for winter with all season tires instead of winter only. Our winters in NY go very dry an cold. I figure winter tires excel in snow and bad weather not in cold dry winter. I am just not sure if it's OK to use these wheels in winter.

My apologies if I already posted the following.

Another factor: winter potholes.

Nineteen inch wheels would be better, all else equal, over twenty inch wheels, in terms of being less likely to bend or crack in case of a pothole or other bad
pavement experience.

At least you don’t have the 21” wheels.

As for your tires and rims:

Tire Rack does list standard fitment all-seasons for those rims.

All-season tires will be a huge improvement in the winter over summer-only. Winter tires will be even better.

Narrower tires are better in the snow than wider ones, again all else equal. I’m especially thinking about the wide rear tires.

I’m honestly not sure whether winter or all-season tires are better on dry sub-freezing roads.
      04-04-2024, 12:29 AM   #2879
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbiker View Post
My apologies if I already posted the following.

Another factor: winter potholes.

Nineteen inch wheels would be better, all else equal, over twenty inch wheels, in terms of being less likely to bend or crack in case of a pothole or other bad
pavement experience.

At least you don’t have the 21” wheels.

As for your tires and rims:

Tire Rack does list standard fitment all-seasons for those rims.

All-season tires will be a huge improvement in the winter over summer-only. Winter tires will be even better.

Narrower tires are better in the snow than wider ones, again all else equal. I’m especially thinking about the wide rear tires.

I’m honestly not sure whether winter or all-season tires are better on dry sub-freezing roads.
You are right, I think 21s are big gamble in pothole roads, even 20s are harsh but I see what you are saying. I will consider both options, I just need to study how to match 19s with proper tires. Could you let me know your rim/tire combination (so I have one example on hand) and bolt pattern required for new rims?
      04-04-2024, 01:09 AM   #2880
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
You are right, I think 21s are big gamble in pothole roads, even 20s are harsh but I see what you are saying. I will consider both options, I just need to study how to match 19s with proper tires. Could you let me know your rim/tire combination (so I have one example on hand) and bolt pattern required for new rims?
My rims are the stock 19” BMW rims with the stock 245/50R19 all-season Pirelli P7 run-flat tires that came with the car.

I bought my car late enough in the season that I decided to hold off on buying snow tires until autumn. I’ve encountered very little snow this season.

I bought (18”) aftermarket rims and snow tires for my previous BMW car. Those rims were a mistake. Those rims cracked and leaked multiple times, despite not hitting any potholes. I was very disappointed with them.

In comparison, I did hit a substantial pothole in the first week of ownership of that car. It bent the BMW wheel, but the tire held air until I got it replaced. Ditto with the pothole that I hit at full speed on the highway, that totaled the car but the tire on the bent BMW rim held its pressure.

I haven’t decided yet what to do this fall. Possibilities include:
  • Put snow tires on these rims for the winter, then switch back to the all-seasons for the spring, etc.
  • Buy a BMW set of 19” rims and winter tires.
  • Put snow tires on these rims, and buy the black 20” rims like you have for summer (probably with performance all-seasons).

I won’t buy aftermarket rims again. Once burned, twice shy.

I hope this helps.
      04-04-2024, 09:55 PM   #2881
Cometgrl
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Is it normal for the exhaust to make a weird noise when shifting in a fast acceleration in sport mode? M40i?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2024, 10:02 PM   #2882
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometgrl View Post
Is it normal for the exhaust to make a weird noise when shifting in a fast acceleration in sport mode? M40i?
Noise? Yes. Weird? No.
Do you mean like a pop and gurgle after you let your foot off the gas or when it shifts up? That's what I hear too and I think it's how the exhaust behaves but I think there is also some pumped in audio, pros here correct me if I'm wrong.