BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-22-2022, 12:55 AM   #1
IcEWoLF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340 XDrive

Best wheel lock system?

My 2022 X3M didn't come with a wheel lock, I know it doesn't do much, but it's better than nothing. Is the oem option the best option or third party? If so any suggestions?

Lastly, would adding a motion sensor to the car be something that can help deter wheel thieves?

In my town there has been a recent uptick in wheel theft, this is not something I thought about it before, but I am now.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2123.00
      09-22-2022, 04:05 AM   #2
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

The BMW alarm system installed has tilt sensors that will trigger the alarm. This is designed to signal the alarm if the car is lifted onto a flatbed, or if the car is jacked to remove the wheels.

I am now living back in the UK, but I am sure from my time driving BMW's in the USA that the spec is the same, at least on M models.

This won't stop them trying though and the potential damage they may cause before the alarm is triggered. A motion sesnor based alarm could prove to be a useful deterrent. I don't know if extra sensors can be wired into the existing alarm? Potential warranty or insurance issues if you mess with it?

James.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 05:36 AM   #3
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcEWoLF View Post
My 2022 X3M didn't come with a wheel lock, I know it doesn't do much, but it's better than nothing. Is the oem option the best option or third party? If so any suggestions?

Lastly, would adding a motion sensor to the car be something that can help deter wheel thieves?

In my town there has been a recent uptick in wheel theft, this is not something I thought about it before, but I am now.
Here you go:

https://www.getbmwparts.com/oem-part...MtMGwtbDYtZ2Fz

As for motion detection I'd say no, seems like more trouble than what it's worth
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 09:46 AM   #4
Edgar_FriendlyX3M
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M  [10.00]
These are the ones I went with (suggested by another member BrockDM). They are longer than stock since I have wheel spacers.

https://www.otisincla.com/collection.../products/7396
Appreciate 1
BrockDM2040.50
      09-22-2022, 10:00 AM   #5
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

This is not meant in any bad way, but none. More times than not they are a headache for the owner and if a thief really wants your wheels, they'll get them with a lock on or not.

Dash cam with parking mode capability if it helps, but otherwise lower your comprehensive insurance premium. It's cheap and covers a multitude of issues, including theft. Comp claims don't increase insurance rates, unless you switch carriers often.

I've personally just had bad experiences with locks, so again, sorry as I don't mean to come off cross and just offering an opinion to consider.
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2022, 06:33 PM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

This.
Attached Images

Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 7
dmanb2b2123.00
pluckydks621.50
IcEWoLF301.00
BrockDM2040.50
      09-23-2022, 04:08 AM   #7
IcEWoLF
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
This is not meant in any bad way, but none. More times than not they are a headache for the owner and if a thief really wants your wheels, they'll get them with a lock on or not.

Dash cam with parking mode capability if it helps, but otherwise lower your comprehensive insurance premium. It's cheap and covers a multitude of issues, including theft. Comp claims don't increase insurance rates, unless you switch carriers often.

I've personally just had bad experiences with locks, so again, sorry as I don't mean to come off cross and just offering an opinion to consider.
I have State Farm $0 comprehensive deductible. With that said these wheels are pretty much on back order everywhere, so I'd like to avoid such situation in case this happened to me.

r33_RGSport trust me, every wheel thief deserves a shot up their $$$ - too bad the laws are not on your side if you wish to fire upon them unless they start threatening you directly.
Appreciate 3
dmanb2b2123.00
gapband238.50
r33_RGSport12915.50
      09-23-2022, 06:07 AM   #8
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
This.
My thoughts exactly!
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12915.50
      09-23-2022, 07:50 AM   #9
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
I have State Farm $0 comprehensive deductible. With that said these wheels are pretty much on back order everywhere, so I'd like to avoid such situation in case this happened to me.
Good and understood.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12915.50
IcEWoLF301.00
      09-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Quote:

r33_RGSport trust me, every wheel thief deserves a shot up their $$$ - too bad the laws are not on your side if you wish to fire upon them unless they start threatening you directly.
Really? I would've thought that only apply in my area, where you can't even scream at the thieves because they will come back and sue you for mental trauma.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 4
Oldgixxer1889.00
IcEWoLF301.00
dmanb2b2123.00
      09-23-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
Chubbiejones
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Really? I would've thought that only apply in my area, where you can't even scream at the thieves because they will come back and sue you for mental trauma.
Scary to think where society will be in the next 20yrs
Appreciate 3