BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-15-2021, 03:46 PM   #23
tarmactrr
Private
Rep
Drives: Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
Is that a bell motorcycle helmet? I didn't know you could do trackdays in that.
Yes. It's Snell 2010 approved which is why it's allowed.

Would not be allowed for SCCA racing though, as that needs to be Snell SA approved and this helmet is Snell M approved.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:49 PM   #24
tarmactrr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest View Post
As I never tried, but assume you have - is it more fun to drive the X3M or SUV in general on a track versus something like a dedicated sports car such as anything from BRZ to Caymant to Radical?

I am trying to understand what is the point in general, as my assumption is any sports car will run rings around it and it will be more fun - but may be I am wrong? Is it actually more fun to drive a massive car with heavy weight and higher center of gravity at speed, through corners etc?
All depends. I brought my Mr2 out there that day as well. While I would say that car is much more fun to drive it produced slower lap times. A modern sport oriented vehicle with AWD will be very easy to run quick lap times, but it will be less "rewarding" if what you're looking for is the thrill of the drive.
Appreciate 1
Tallest1307.00
      09-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #25
tarmactrr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulkBen View Post
My X3M is already faster than my modded Alfa 4C and my heavily modified Mini Cooper S around the track. It's close, but its ahead in lap times.

Typical sports cars do not run rings around these. You will absolutely blow away MX5's, BRZ's, most WRX's etc if you know how to drive and you are properly pushing the limits.

I am heading out in a few weeks and I know there will be some Cayman's and even a Lambo there. I expect to lap faster than them, mostly as they are driven by "Gentlemen".

These SUVs are VERY fast, particularly if modded, on an open track they are even better, my home track is quite tight.

If however you are up against a light, fast sports car AND the guy knows how to drive, well that will be a different story. In my experience that's quite rare at a track day.

The next question, are they fun?
Honestly, I was absolutely terrified driving mine the first time on the track. So much power (mine has over 700hp), while firm on the street it feels like a wallowing whale at times on the track.

If you put that aside and consider you are defying the laws of physics, and breaking lots of hearts, well that's how I get my kicks. If you are looking for a simple easy to drive car you can get in and drive all day, obviously its not for you.

I found the balance of getting the power down, managing under-steer and overheating brakes very taxing mentally, but that part of the challenge. Ultimately its a car you take to the track every few months, its never going to replace a proper track car for those who go out at monthly (or more regular) intervals.
Those alfa's are sneaky fast. There was a guy at that track day running 1.25's on a lightly modded (was track prepped with suspension/brakes/tires) 4c with Continental slicks on it. Granted probably 2-3 seconds of that time was due to the tires.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #26
tarmactrr
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
All good points but that doesn't take away from the fact that stock for stock, the X3M/X4M are quite capable on track in the hands of a capable driver.

Bringing up an example again, I witnessed first hand how good the X3M/X4M are at a BMW Performance Center autocross (big and open for an autocross course but not a full racetrack).
Experienced drivers with track prepped and even caged e36/e46 M3s and M Coupes were running mid to high 80s per run. My personal best in a stock M2C is 89 seconds. Mike Renner in an X4M with 3 passengers was running consistent 82s!!!!!!!! Oh, and with chicanes here and there, max speeds were 90 something for the fastest cars so it wasn't just a power/top end advantage.
Just to put into reference, a stock F80 M3 on PIR will run around a 1.31-1.32 with a capable driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #27
MRichmond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR, e60 M5, e36 IP

The most comprehensive and comparable track lap time tests are done by Car & Driver in its Lightning Lap series at VIR. Here is the full list:https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

They use VIR's rarely used Grand Course configuration because it offers the most complete combination of technical sections, high speed sections, elevation transitions, braking demands, etc. And because it is just beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 11:07 PM   #28
BulkBen
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, Mini x 2, Lotus x 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRichmond View Post
The most comprehensive and comparable track lap time tests are done by Car & Driver in its Lightning Lap series at VIR. Here is the full list:https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...storical-data/

They use VIR's rarely used Grand Course configuration because it offers the most complete combination of technical sections, high speed sections, elevation transitions, braking demands, etc. And because it is just beautiful.
You beat me to it.

Using the Cayenne Turbo as the benchmark doing 2.59.2 (as the Urus is a bit too exotic) we can see a not too dissimilar SUV beats these notable cars:

2021 F Type Jaguar - 2.59.5
2019 M2 Competition - 2.59.7
2014 Cayman S - 3.02.6
2021 Subaru STI - 3.03.4
2018 Civic Type R - 3.03.9
2019 Chev Camaro Turbo 1LE - 3.05.6

Perhaps an even better comparison would be the GLC63 which has lapped at 3.01.7, I believe the X3M is faster than the GLC around a track though as evidenced by another head to head video.
Appreciate 0