BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-15-2022, 04:40 PM   #45
Gonatas23
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefboyarj View Post
Same here. I've noticed nothing w wind noise. If anything it's quieter than my Q5.
Yeah my 2022 M40i seems really quiet compared to my Audi. If your having issues I imagine its something fixable.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #46
botan22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isawelvis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBMW1 View Post
Anyone have the dealer replace the front 2 windows to be acoustic glass?

I just checked and safelight is offering the acoustic glass for the front 2 windows installed for $890.
I have 2021X3I and replaced the driver and passenger windows with acoustic glass. I ordered the glass from dealer parts department and had a bodyshop install them. Cant remember the price but sure it was around 600 but that was with a local body shop not the dealer.

As for sound difference, Im not a good judge, I am retired military aviator with over 5600 jet time and cant hear for Sh--t in my left ear.
Do you mind sharing part numbers? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:53 AM   #47
ShadowM40
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40

Honestly, if it was the mirrors and/or the windows, this would've been a post within the past few years with the X3M which has had the M mirrors. Not downplaying your sound issue, but for reference I don't have any excessive wind noise issues with my 2022 M40, recently transitioning from a 2014 X3 too. BMW made a lot of advancements with sealing up the cracks between hood and panels on the exterior of the car as well. The car is under warranty, take it up with the dealer service dept and have it documented at a minimum. Also, thank you for your service!
Appreciate 1
misterdom332.00
      01-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #48
Pete17
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0i M Sport

I had trouble with my 18 model it had the standard mirrors and no autistic front side windows, when I hit 50 mph I got a whistling sound on the drivers side only. Dealer looked at it and said the mirror was not seated properly even though I could not tell it was not seated correctly. Any way problem solved. I am driving my partners Toyota Yaris while waiting for my new X3 and I can say the X3 is silent compared to the Yaris.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:25 PM   #49
PMB
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonatas23 View Post
Yeah my 2022 M40i seems really quiet compared to my Audi. If your having issues I imagine its something fixable.
I am the opposite. I drove a 2013 Q5 premium plus (3.0L V6 supercharged) for 8 years and it was very quiet. Traded it this July past for a 2021 X3 M40i and one of the first things I noticed was how noisy the X3 was, especially from the driver side window area.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 06:42 PM   #50
marseille82
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
I also hear the wind noise at around 60mph (22 M40i). Just picked it last week. I will see if dealer can address it.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:27 AM   #51
ppophil
RANGER FAN
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30i

2022 x3, yes I'm constantly pulling up on the window switches to see if the windows are closed all the way.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2022, 07:10 PM   #52
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

Yup, drivers window area. Not sure what is causing it. Have not seen any suggestions as to a fix. I played with rolling a paper towel about 1/8 inch wide and putting it between the rubber on the door. Saw no difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 03:39 AM   #53
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW m40i Individual 2022

I also have this issue. It's driving me crazy !
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:34 AM   #54
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navypilot View Post
I feel like I am hearing excessive wind noise from the driver window above 50 mph. I have rolled the window up and down and it does not help.

Anyone else have this issue?

Any potential solutions?
Mine had the same problem- it was the adjustment of the side exterior rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 06:35 AM   #55
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavich View Post
I think it was a batch of mirrors- had the same issue and when the mirror was replaced- it fixed it and sound was gone.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:29 AM   #56
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK479 View Post
Quote:
I feel like I am hearing excessive wind noise from the driver window above 50 mph. I have rolled the window up and down and it does not help.

Any potential solutions?
Mine had the same problem- it was the adjustment of the side exterior rear view mirror.
How did you fix/adjust it?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:31 AM   #57
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I think it was a batch of mirrors- had the same issue and when the mirror was replaced- it fixed it and sound was gone.
Is something known by the dealers? I'm not sure they will replace it just like that. Thank for the info
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 12:16 PM   #58
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Any potential solutions?
How did you fix/adjust it?
Once a service tech was able to identity- they ordered, installed and it worked. I was very skeptical as I thought it was the glass or seals. Nope- I was way off
Appreciate 1
CatSpare188.00
      08-30-2022, 12:19 PM   #59
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is something known by the dealers? I'm not sure they will replace it just like that. Thank for the info
Master Service tech's know this happens on many models- perhaps as for one and look into this- maybe yours is a seal and I'm completely wrong. But if I'm right- the assembly is making the noise.

It's not all the parts like the actual mirror- but research with a body shop what all the parts are. BMW sells only assemblies to us- but to their shop and body shops ALL the part can be sub'd. I think within the housing- air is either being caught.
Appreciate 1
Bavich169.50
      08-30-2022, 07:47 PM   #60
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

I had this issue… and had it fixed successfully.

2019 though.
It may sound like it coming from the drivers side, but it is really hard to tell where the noises are really coming from.

The fix:
There is a SIB for the air box where it enters through the firewall inside the engine bay. Apparently this isn’t sealed very well from factory and can cause wind noises. They fix it by putting tape around the box to seal it better.
I had an excessive loud pitched whistling that was just obnoxious.
Also had my pano roof seal between the actual movable sunroof and the fixed glass portion. This seal shrinks over time once again causing wind noise.

These are KNOWN issues… search this forum. You will find my post and many others.
This forum helped me find the SIB number to give to my dealer for the air box
The pano roof seal they replaced on their own.

If your dealer can’t fix it correctly, request the service tech or shop manager ride in the car WITH you to have them verify the same noise.

It took my dealer 2 tries, but they were very good about it, provided a loaner, and also replace the crap gloss black lower portion of the rear spoiler that fades over time.
The first time they insisted it was my aftermarket m style mirrors, which DO make a noise, but not one I mind or notice. After putting OEM mirrors back on and still having the wind noise they were more willing to dig deeper into it.

Other people have had window and door seals go bad, which can also cause noise… but after doing a ton of research and on this when I had my issue, it seems the SIB and pano roof and more common issues than the window/door seals.

The g series is Very quiet vehicle so the noises are really noticeable on these cars.
Good luck.

Last edited by AllBlackBimmer; 08-30-2022 at 07:54 PM..
Appreciate 3
509er589.50
Bavich169.50
CatSpare188.00
      08-31-2022, 08:25 PM   #61
Bavich
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBlackBimmer View Post
I had this issue… and had it fixed successfully.

2019 though.
It may sound like it coming from the drivers side, but it is really hard to tell where the noises are really coming from.

The fix:
There is a SIB for the air box where it enters through the firewall inside the engine bay. Apparently this isn’t sealed very well from factory and can cause wind noises. They fix it by putting tape around the box to seal it better.
I had an excessive loud pitched whistling that was just obnoxious.
Also had my pano roof seal between the actual movable sunroof and the fixed glass portion. This seal shrinks over time once again causing wind noise.

These are KNOWN issues… search this forum. You will find my post and many others.
This forum helped me find the SIB number to give to my dealer for the air box
The pano roof seal they replaced on their own.

If your dealer can’t fix it correctly, request the service tech or shop manager ride in the car WITH you to have them verify the same noise.

It took my dealer 2 tries, but they were very good about it, provided a loaner, and also replace the crap gloss black lower portion of the rear spoiler that fades over time.
The first time they insisted it was my aftermarket m style mirrors, which DO make a noise, but not one I mind or notice. After putting OEM mirrors back on and still having the wind noise they were more willing to dig deeper into it.

Other people have had window and door seals go bad, which can also cause noise… but after doing a ton of research and on this when I had my issue, it seems the SIB and pano roof and more common issues than the window/door seals.

The g series is Very quiet vehicle so the noises are really noticeable on these cars.
Good luck.
Thank you so much for all those details.
Yesterday I fed a first attempt worth the stop and went for a short ride on the highway.
Their conclusion…. This is normal.
My previous 30i was better in that sense.
We'll see. It's still an open case at the shop.
I'll keep you post it.
Thank you again
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #62
AllBlackBimmer
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 m40i

Quote:
Thank you so much for all those details.
Yesterday I fed a first attempt worth the stop and went for a short ride on the highway.
Their conclusion…. This is normal.
My previous 30i was better in that sense.
We'll see. It's still an open case at the shop.
I'll keep you post it.
Thank you again
Not "normal"...
They think it's normal because the airbox at the firewall design is the same on all these cars, so they all make the noise to a various degree.

When I had my m40i in, they gave me a 2021 30i as a loaner...
I get on the highway, and the loaner starts making the faintest, hard to hear noise, but it was there - so, it may be "normal" to a point, but it is fixable as well.

With that said, these cars ride very quiet - so wind noise is much more noticeable, but not zero. So, its a double edge sword really.
I am happy with my m40i, where when I was having the wind noise issues I was really having regrets and wondering if I made a bad choice - not the case any longer.
Good luck.
      09-02-2022, 05:47 PM   #63
JJ 911SC
Crusty Old Navy Chief
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 1983 911SC

Garage List
This must be it but the site does not list any 2022 yet but the 2021 is.

https://www.carproblemzoo.com/tsb/bm...021-bmw-x3.php
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
CatSpare188.00
      09-24-2022, 09:29 AM   #64
MyFirstBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

BMW X3 M40i Wind Noise - Me too

This is my first BMW and I just took my X3 to the dealer for the wind noise at 50 mph and above. I've only driven it 358 miles. They indicated that the service procedure is to tape the mirrors and if the noise goes away then it's normal. The noise did go away so this is normal for the X3 and it is what it is. Really? I find it hard to believe that a car that cost almost $70K has been approved by BMW to have wind noise at normal driving speeds. The service rep also indicated that if enough complaints were raised then BMW might issue a recall but he wasn't optimistic. I'm not happy that I have to live with such a defect nor with shelling out another $800 for acoustic windows on a new car.

Any thoughts on how to get BMW to address this design flaw?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 10:52 AM   #65
Navypilot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i

Where did they put the tape on your mirrors?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #66
Gritty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFirstBMW View Post
This is my first BMW and I just took my X3 to the dealer for the wind noise at 50 mph and above. I've only driven it 358 miles. They indicated that the service procedure is to tape the mirrors and if the noise goes away then it's normal. The noise did go away so this is normal for the X3 and it is what it is. Really? I find it hard to believe that a car that cost almost $70K has been approved by BMW to have wind noise at normal driving speeds. The service rep also indicated that if enough complaints were raised then BMW might issue a recall but he wasn't optimistic. I'm not happy that I have to live with such a defect nor with shelling out another $800 for acoustic windows on a new car.

Any thoughts on how to get BMW to address this design flaw?
That's concerning to hear. Is that on a 22 or 23? Are these the same mirrors as on the XM comp cars? Did they complain about wind noise?
Appreciate 0