BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-04-2020, 12:24 AM   #1
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Force Competition Exhaust Fully Open?

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to force the competition variable exhaust to stay in the fully open position.

BMW Feature Request (If you're reading):
Allow the exhaust button in the center console to have three modes.
1) Off (ASD + Exhaust Flaps)
2) Dynamic (which is what we have now when the exhaust button is lit green)
3) A new Fully Open mode where the exhaust flaps are fully open regardless of throttle level (maybe a red light instead).

I mean.. why not?!?! 3 lines of code in the ECU?

I don't need a louder exhaust, I just need this one to do its job and make me happy. Have you guys ever heard an upshift on full open throttle in a tunnel with the engine in sport plus and transmission in mode 3? It sounds like being hit with a bolt of lightning.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 05:35 AM   #2
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Rev the car in Sports Plus while in neutral to open the valves.

Turn off the car and unplug the valve controller.

Works on the F80, though I am yet to try this on the X3M.

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #3
ThumperMCS
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, MINI Cooper JCW GP

Hate to be that guy....but how hard is it to just press the Sport Plus button? Program one of the M buttons if you want to make it even easier. You can even tap them as you get into the car, and the valves will be open from before the moment you start it...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #4
ckrieg
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

I think the issue is that you're in sport plus. I agree spucktacular, I don't want to always drive around at 3k rpm to have the louder exhaust, would be great if the exhaust had another full open level.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:40 AM   #5
fangel111
Enlisted Member
Russia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Just start engine, put it on sport plus and remove fuse 203 in trunk section of fuses. Valves will be opened forever.

Also you can remove 218 to turn off ASD (active sound).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
Mikiee1129
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckrieg View Post
I think the issue is that you're in sport plus. I agree spucktacular, I don't want to always drive around at 3k rpm to have the louder exhaust, would be great if the exhaust had another full open level.
another data point/user configuration...

Ive got my M1 programmed for sport plus/sport/sport and drive-logic set to position two for around town driving. Great throttle response and quick transmission shifts. Sport Plus engine selection provides max exhaust sound all the time. On longer trips I'll generally keep the M1 settings and only change the drive-logic to position one for lower rpms when cruising. Drive-logic position two seems to lockout eighth gear at my normal cruising speeds (less than 80-mph) and drive logic three keeps the revs at 3K or so minimum and this only gets used on rare occasions. M2 is configured for launch control.
Appreciate 1
ckrieg49.00
      08-05-2020, 12:06 PM   #7
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangel111 View Post
Just start engine, put it on sport plus and remove fuse 203 in trunk section of fuses. Valves will be opened forever.

Also you can remove 218 to turn off ASD (active sound).
This. One tip though -- visually inspect the left-most tail pipe before you pull the fuse. Even in Sport Plus, sometimes it is closed. You can easily see the little flap and its position.

There is a post detailing how to do the fuse stuff on the other X3 forum, along with pictures etc. Note that it may throw a code if you take it in for service with the fuses removed, so I recommend putting them back any time you take it in for service. More details on the other threads on this topic.
Appreciate 1
evo-mike686.50
      08-05-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS View Post
Hate to be that guy....but how hard is it to just press the Sport Plus button? Program one of the M buttons if you want to make it even easier. You can even tap them as you get into the car, and the valves will be open from before the moment you start it...
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say is that even in sport plus, the valve isn't fully open until you go full throttle. It's got a variable exhaust that is directly tied to the amount of gas you give er, independent of the engine driving mode.

Works great, no complaints... but it'd just be nice to force it open (on demand, not all the time with that fuse pulling business, this is my daily).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:56 PM   #9
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
See below. The engine technical document states that the m sport exhaust (std the comp, opt on the normal x3/4m) has intermediate valve positions.

I just don't agree that it's fully open in sports mode having owned the car for a few months. It's bat shit crazy loud when I drive like an asshole, even in the same engine modes.

Why would BMW invest in developing a cool active valve exhaust system that's only active in efficient mode? Maybe someone with bootmod3 can watch the valve position values in real time and tell us more?!?

Last edited by spucktacular; 12-20-2023 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #10
Mikiee1129
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 M5 F97 X3MC

it appears that I should pay more attention when reading the manual. I did not realize there were intermediate positions wrt the exhaust valve. thanks for the info
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
robopp
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
I bought and installed a valve controller made by Cete for my RS3. It plugged into the CAN bus and you could set the valves to always open, always closed or stock programming using the ESC button. Made a huge difference. I have to assume that something similar is certainly possibly for the X3M. Also, all the tunes could control the exhaust flaps too so I'd have to imagine the same is true for the X3M too.

Here's a link to the product. You could email them and tell them you're interested in a X3M version.

https://www.active-sound.eu/en/audi/...-valve-control
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #12
ThumperMCS
Private
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp, MINI Cooper JCW GP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spucktacular View Post
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant to say is that even in sport plus, the valve isn't fully open until you go full throttle. It's got a variable exhaust that is directly tied to the amount of gas you give er, independent of the engine driving mode.

Works great, no complaints... but it'd just be nice to force it open (on demand, not all the time with that fuse pulling business, this is my daily).
No worries....wasn't aware of that. On my Comp, to my ears it sounds to me like they are fully open at all times with Sport Plus

I always have habit of putting it in Sport Plus on start up cuz I like how loud it is haha, neighbors who live above my garage must love me
Appreciate 0