BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-31-2020, 07:41 AM   #1
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X35D M Sport (F25)

Newbie with 35d and spare wheel options

Hello, to you all!

Stumbled across this forum as about to pick up a 2012 35d M sport this weekend which I'm v excited about.

I'm not new to BMW ownership having owned E36/46 models and currently an X5 (E70) that's making way for the X3 (plus an 1999 e46 318 for daily duties).

As I have done with the X5, I plan on getting a full size spare wheel for long distance work (as I tow a caravan on holiday), and the X3 I'm getting looks to have a staggered 19" set up.

I'd be keen to get your thoughts on what I can run as an all round spare, should I get one that's the same size as the front (8.5j) as apposed to the 9.5 rear?
      07-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemisty View Post
Hello, to you all!

Stumbled across this forum as about to pick up a 2012 35d M sport this weekend which I'm v excited about.

I'm not new to BMW ownership having owned E36/46 models and currently an X5 (E70) that's making way for the X3 (plus an 1999 e46 318 for daily duties).

As I have done with the X5, I plan on getting a full size spare wheel for long distance work (as I tow a caravan on holiday), and the X3 I'm getting looks to have a staggered 19" set up.

I'd be keen to get your thoughts on what I can run as an all round spare, should I get one that's the same size as the front (8.5j) as apposed to the 9.5 rear?
Its not the width that really matters, its the circumference so all your wheels turn at the same rate. Not sure where you will be storing it, maybe in your caravan? but the wider you go, the harder it is to find places to store it. If it were me, I'd go with the same size as you have on the front. An alternative idea is to simply get a skinny tire that is the same circumference to minimize storage space. After all, its just a spare tire that is used on a temporary basis. Have you seen the optional spare tire that comes with a new X3 or X5? Is a compact spare but it serves the purpose.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:08 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

If you end up getting a full size spare, it must be the same size as the front. Even with a staggered setup, front to back has approximately the same rolling diameter. However it's unlikely the wide rear tires will actually fit up front without rubbing due to the width. Also be aware that running a wheel sized for the front in back should be treated as temporary and a proper one should be placed there as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 03:20 PM   #4
6MT_Addict
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 135i M Sport 6MT, 15 X3 35i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [10.00]
This ^^^

Also check wheel size and offset.

For example if you have the M sport package with upgraded front brakes the smallest wheel size you can fit is 18". A 17" wheel will bind on the larger caliper.

Handy link: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/bmw/x3/

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 03:37 PM   #5
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks chaps - this is great advice. Picked the car up today, what a machine! Drives more like my old E46 M sport touring than my X5 E70!).

Anyhow on the wheels, got home and popped them all off, greased the flanges (as all were binding a little and not easy to tease off) and tried a front wheel on the rear. Good news is the flange is the same size, hence my plan is to get a full size 19" the same as the front (as you suggest) and use it as a spare for long journeys, if it will stand up in the boot next to the dog cage I'm sorted.

Also great to see the scissor jack I carried for my E70 (from a MkI X5) works perfectly on the X3 too, hence with a spare wheel I'll be sorted.
      08-01-2020, 04:50 PM   #6
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks chaps - this is great advice. Picked the car up today, what a machine! Drives more like my old E46 M sport touring than my X5 E70!).

Anyhow on the wheels, got home and popped them all off, greased the flanges (as all were binding a little and not easy to tease off) and tried a front wheel on the rear. Good news is the flange is the same size, hence my plan is to get a full size 19" the same as the front (as you suggest) and use it as a spare for long journeys, if it will stand up in the boot next to the dog cage I'm sorted.

Also great to see the scissor jack I carried for my E70 (from a MkI X5) works perfectly on the X3 too, hence with a spare wheel I'll be sorted.
Good deal, that ought to work out for you. I also grease my flanges, when I take the wheels off in the garage, I have all sorts of tools but if I had to do it while away, on the road, I wouldn't want to fight to get them off. I used to live in Maidstone, know it?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Good news is the flange is the same size, hence my plan is to get a full size 19" the same as the front (as you suggest) and use it as a spare for long journeys, if it will stand up in the boot next to the dog cage I'm sorted.
Make sure you're able to secure the spare in the boot with something sturdy enough so that it doesn't become a deadly projectile in an accident. My friend is a first responded and he's seen things lighter than a wheel break though the rear seat backs and hit the passengers up front causing near deadly damage to them. That's why they're secured with a large fastener.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2020, 02:37 PM   #8
Alchemisty
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks Pungo - that's a good tip which I'll follow. Even considering making a dedicated board for it and clamping it to the roof bars.

Marty - yes - not far from me! A good friend lives in a village just outside it
      08-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #9
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Pungo - that's a good tip which I'll follow. Even considering making a dedicated board for it and clamping it to the roof bars.

Marty - yes - not far from me! A good friend lives in a village just outside it
Loved it there. There's a pretty good sausage deli in Beckenham on High St called villagers fine sausages (used to have a diff name when I lived there) and an interesting Indian restaurant in Bromley called Tamasha's. We went there frequently.
Appreciate 0