BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-20-2020, 10:40 PM   #67
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibof View Post
These are all dealer repaints from shipping damage. Factory would never let them out like this.
And you know this how?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:50 AM   #68
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBell91 View Post
So, I hate to inform that after my paint repair, my spoiler is beginning to peel.... again. Not sure yet how I’m going to handle this.
Likely the paint shop didn't prep properly as the original paint peeled because of contamination so painting over top without totally decontaminating the spoiler is a recipe for more peeling paint.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #69
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Likely the paint shop didn't prep properly as the original paint peeled because of contamination so painting over top without totally decontaminating the spoiler is a recipe for more peeling paint.
It doesn’t look like that though. The way it’s peeling makes it look like something is rubbing, or vibration causing this issue. Ignore how dirty my car is in this pic, as it’s been storming where I live recently.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 10:32 AM   #70
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
And you know this how?
Every X3M on my dealerships lot has the same issue mine does. Their Toronto Red one is even worse than mine was to begin with. My service advisor and I have been friends for over 7 years and she ensured me this is not the case and pulled up all history on the car and internal history on the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 11:15 AM   #71
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
Every X3M on my dealerships lot has the same issue mine does. Their Toronto Red one is even worse than mine was to begin with. My service advisor and I have been friends for over 7 years and she ensured me this is not the case and pulled up all history on the car and internal history on the car.
You misunderstood my comment.

I too have paint peeling like others. What I was questioning on that persons post was their suggestion that all of this was shipping damage and BMW would never let them leave the factory. For a first post on forum and no facts to support that statement was what I am questioning!

His comment: "These are all dealer repaints from shipping damage. Factory would never let them out like this"
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #72
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
You misunderstood my comment.

I too have paint peeling like others. What I was questioning on that persons post was their suggestion that all of this was shipping damage and BMW would never let them leave the factory. For a first post on forum and no facts to support that statement was what I am questioning!

His comment: "These are all dealer repaints from shipping damage. Factory would never let them out like this"

I was agreeing with you. I meant to quote his comment. Lol. My bad. I’m waiting on BMW now to see what we are doing to try and fix this. I’ve only had my car for 3 weeks and it’s already starting to do it again.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 04:44 PM   #73
forza1976
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3X  [10.00]
Quote:
I was agreeing with you. I meant to quote his comment. Lol. My bad. I’m waiting on BMW now to see what we are doing to try and fix this. I’ve only had my car for 3 weeks and it’s already starting to do it again.
Cool
I sent pictures to my SA and CA and they asked I bring it in for warranty claim and to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #74
AMTUP1991
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Cool
I sent pictures to my SA and CA and they asked I bring it in for warranty claim and to fix it.
I’m curious as to what they are going to do to fix yours. I’m a little frustrated bc in my opinion repainting my car again isn’t going to fix the issue. But... we shall see.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #75
ckrieg
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Donnington with the same problem. Paint peeling under rear bumper on passenger side. Brought it to the attention of my dealer this morning after picking up the car yesterday.

Thanks to this tread or I wouldn't have noticed until it got a lot worse!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #76
RedX3MC
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X3 M Competition

I have the same issue on the spoiler. Mines Toronto Red. If they take longer than 30 days while its in the shop to fix it you probably have a lemon law case in your state. 30 days doesn't have to be in a row. Just warranty work related. Sure its going to take 5-6 months, but in the end your made whole and not stuck with a $85,000 car with paint peeling off. No, I didn't pay MSRP
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #77
Jayf97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Same issue here peeling at the rear bumper but as of right now it’s not visible unless your under the car. I reached out to the dealer and was told to bring it in for inspection which I did Friday morning.
I spoke to the service advisor and explained it was discovered by the ceramic pro installer and something would have be done about them having it coated again.
I got a call back today and he told me they will be taking care of it and the service Dept can do the ceramic pro also.

I have 2 questions
One is if they paint the bumper can they do ceramic pro right away?

Second question

He asked if I needed a loaner and I told him I did, I also told him I didn’t want a regular X3 since I felt it was a major downgrade. So I want to know what should I tell him I’m willing to accept? I’m thinking just tell him I’m fine with any M vehicle? I’m new to BMW and the loaners.

Thanks for the help
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #78
evo-mike
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 435i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf97 View Post
Same issue here peeling at the rear bumper but as of right now it's not visible unless your under the car. I reached out to the dealer and was told to bring it in for inspection which I did Friday morning.
I spoke to the service advisor and explained it was discovered by the ceramic pro installer and something would have be done about them having it coated again.
I got a call back today and he told me they will be taking care of it and the service Dept can do the ceramic pro also.

I have 2 questions

Second question

He asked if I needed a loaner and I told him I did, I also told him I didn't want a regular X3 since I felt it was a major downgrade. So I want to know what should I tell him I'm willing to accept? I'm thinking just tell him I'm fine with any M vehicle? I'm new to BMW and the loaners.

Thanks for the help
Doubt they have m loaners, but it's possible. I've gotten an x5 the last two times and they're nice. They have heated doors and armrests.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 07:52 PM   #79
strohw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 Versys 1000, 20 KTM 690 SMC

The dealership I go to gives me X7s. Though my wife likes them better than the X3M. Every time she asks why didn't I get one of these.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 08:06 PM   #80
KHATTI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1991 E30 M3

Garage List
1991 BMW M3  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayf97 View Post
Same issue here peeling at the rear bumper but as of right now it's not visible unless your under the car. I reached out to the dealer and was told to bring it in for inspection which I did Friday morning.

I have 2 questions

Second question

He asked if I needed a loaner and I told him I did, I also told him I didn't want a regular X3 since I felt it was a major downgrade. So I want to know what should I tell him I'm willing to accept? I'm thinking just tell him I'm fine with any M vehicle? I'm new to BMW and the loaners.

Thanks for the help
Doubt they have m loaners, but it's possible. I've gotten an x5 the last two times and they're nice. They have heated doors and armrests.
BMW of West Houston actually has an X3M as a loaner. Or at least they did.....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 10:02 PM   #81
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
The dealership I go to gives me X7s. Though my wife likes them better than the X3M. Every time she asks why didn't I get one of these.
Go to the bmwna.com web page
"Build It" and select the Alpina B7
Once you get to the "Options" page, ask her to come over and review one of the options, keeping in mind the "Subtotal so far" is displayed on the page.
A)If she balks at the price, you're off the hook.
B)If she's all for it, you have a blank check.
Win-win.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:58 AM   #82
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobuff View Post
Looking at peel off of other cars i can certainly tell ceramic coating is not good for car paint protection. I've been reading alot on Reactive polymer coating by this brand called Permagard, has anyone tried on?
What do you mean ceramic coating isn't good for paint protection? No coating is going to prevent paint that's not bonded to the plastic surfaces from peeling. The issue here is something happened with the paint or prepping stage and the paint is not bonding properly to the plastic pieces. You could spray another layer of clear coat on top of these and they would still peel as nothing placed over the top of the paint will prevent this.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 03:35 AM   #83
RustyBitz
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I have some slight peeling, it has started to flake off when washing the car with a mitt.
Attached Images

[url=https://www.deutschespeed.com/threads/the-bimmerpost-refugee-thread.561/]Car[/url]
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #84
Jayf97
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo-mike View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by strohw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHATTI View Post
BMW of West Houston actually has an X3M as a loaner. Or at least they did.....

Well I’m suppose to drop off my car on Monday and the dealer just called to see if I would be ok with a rental from enterprise!!

I told him I wouldn’t be ok with that and also said if I go on Monday and am not happy with the loaner they give me I would not leave my car and put in a complaint with BMW NA
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #85
Bobby54n
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3m Comp

Just dropped my AW for paint peeling from bottom of the spoiler. Didn't get much feedback from the service advisor, just was told it would take a couple days to fix. When I asked if it was a common issue, they said it was their first case. Seems common though with others having similar issues. Car is barely a month old, hopefully I get it back soon! just did break in service as well
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #86
ckrieg
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Dealer had my rear bumper repainted under warranty
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2020, 04:25 PM   #87
LloydP
Private
Rep
Drives: 22 X5MC, 991.2 GT3

Joined the peeling club. Went to the dealer for an exhaust rattle (cracked bracket) and the paint issue on Aug 14. As of 8/21/20, a BMW field tech is coming to inspect before painting. Loaner is a new x3 sdrive30i, which is about as fun as a Jetta. Sorry for the picture quality.... pre-wash when I noticed it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2020, 02:38 PM   #88
RoWoX3M
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby54n View Post
Just dropped my AW for paint peeling from bottom of the spoiler. Didn't get much feedback from the service advisor, just was told it would take a couple days to fix. When I asked if it was a common issue, they said it was their first case. Seems common though with others having similar issues. Car is barely a month old, hopefully I get it back soon! just did break in service as well
Another victim of the amazing quality control that is BMW NA. Paint peeling under the rear spoiler
Attached Images

Appreciate 0