BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #23
Jats
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0SD

tankalf & saeidhosseini,
did you manage the problem ?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 07:17 AM   #24
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive20d SE (2011)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natban View Post
Great video BMW DIY Guy. I bought one of these after watching. Unfortunately, I'm having a few problems, the biggest seems to be that my unit is always powered on as soon as I plug the Avin Harness in. I have drawn out the wiring of the Avin harness. I would love to compare this with the harness' that others have received from Avin.
Attachment 1922334

There are a few other wires heading up to the screen that I haven't drawn, namely the aux input from the factory harness to the screen which is not in use for this installation (not to be mixed up with the audio output of the Android screen to the Aux input of the Business CD Player).

The information I used for pins 1 through 16 is based on this diagram.
Attachment 1922342

Is anyone else able to have their Android screen dim with their interior lights? My screen doesn't seem to dim at night and is way too bright to be driving around with.

I would love to hear input from other users.
@Natban - Did you manage to fix this issue? I am trying to stop the unit from dimming by 25% with the lights switched ON or AUTO - realise this is the reverse of your problem. But hoping you might be able to advise?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 03:03 AM   #25
kalinkamaen
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
So if you are having the power problem, reach out to Avin ASAP. I talked with them about this yesterday from the comments here, and a couple of comments on my YouTube video.

As it turns out, the android 7.1 systems may have a wiring harness where the constant 12v and switched 12v are swapped. Ping them asap, and I am sure they will get you hooked up properly.
So what is the socalled Power problem?

I have measured my cables and I only have constant 12V cable up to my android screen. Non of my cables are switched. I cant understand then what is turning my android unit on and off? Is it can system? My unit swithces off after 10 secounds of ignition off.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:17 AM   #26
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinkamaen View Post
So what is the socalled Power problem?

I have measured my cables and I only have constant 12V cable up to my android screen. Non of my cables are switched. I cant understand then what is turning my android unit on and off? Is it can system? My unit swithces off after 10 secounds of ignition off.
So I have an old unit and harness that I've deconstructed to get an idea of what's what.

On this harness (Mekede) the YELLOW cable (Pin 15) is 12v battery constant.

Underneath that, I have a BROWN cable (Pin 16) which is ACC+, a switched 12v pin.

Above them both is the BMW Illumination cable (Pin 14).

On mine, the YELLOW battery cable is spilt up into two cables (presumably to power the AM reverse camera etc?).

The issue described in this thread is that the 12v B+ and ACC+ are switched in some 7.1 wiring harness units, hence not dimming with headlights ON or AUTO etc.

I have ordered some pin tools and am going to try to remove various cablea until I get a result!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #27
kalinkamaen
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorebigideas View Post
So I have an old unit and harness that I've deconstructed to get an idea of what's what.

On this harness (Mekede) the YELLOW cable (Pin 15) is 12v battery constant.

Underneath that, I have a BROWN cable (Pin 16) which is ACC+, a switched 12v pin.

Above them both is the BMW Illumination cable (Pin 14).

On mine, the YELLOW battery cable is spilt up into two cables (presumably to power the AM reverse camera etc?).

The issue described in this thread is that the 12v B+ and ACC+ are switched in some 7.1 wiring harness units, hence not dimming with headlights ON or AUTO etc.

I have ordered some pin tools and am going to try to remove various cablea until I get a result!

Thank you for your answear. I will look again for the brown cable. I could not find the switched 12 volt when measuring yesterday. I also have Mekede 7.1 unit PX3.

If we have a 12 volt switched cable to the android unit controlling power on and off, i recon it is possible to route this to a nother connection where the 12 volt turns on when unlocking car as the bmw original unit does? So it doesnt turn on and off that fast?

Edit:

I have looked again and no brown cable at all. Where you are describing a brown cable, mine is empty. Mine is a E91 ccc unit.
See picture attached.

Last edited by kalinkamaen; 03-06-2019 at 05:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:16 AM   #28
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your answear. I will look again for the brown cable. I could not find the switched 12 volt when measuring yesterday. I also have Mekede 7.1 unit PX3.

If we have a 12 volt switched cable to the android unit controlling power on and off, i recon it is possible to route this to a nother connection where the 12 volt turns on when unlocking car as the bmw original unit does? So it doesnt turn on and off that fast?

Edit:

I have looked again and no brown cable at all. Where you are describing a brown cable, mine is empty. Mine is a E91 ccc unit.
See picture attached.

So I have an X3 F25 CIC - similar pinnout to the previous page imahe. Posted by Natban. There has to be a 12v signal being sent to the HU that confirms when the lights are on or off. Once my tools arrive today I will investigate.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 05:20 AM   #29
kalinkamaen
Private
Rep

Quote:
So I have an X3 F25 CIC - similar pinnout to the previous page imahe. Posted by Natban. There has to be a 12v signal being sent to the HU that confirms when the lights are on or off. Once my tools arrive today I will investigate.
Why cant this be controled by the CAN system? Both Illumination and power on and off sending signal to MCU unit?
The CAN system is connected to it and is showing allot of info in android unit.

Natban has no acc 12 volt cable going to android unit in his drawing.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:08 AM   #30
nomorebigideas
Private
Rep

Quote:
Why cant this be controled by the CAN system? Both Illumination and power on and off sending signal to MCU unit?
The CAN system is connected to it and is showing allot of info in android unit.

Natban has no acc 12 volt cable going to android unit in his drawing.
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?757492-E39-Illumination-wire

Yes I can see that, but what I'm suggesting is on the AVIN harness (or whatever brand we're using) Pins 15 + 16 are swapped, so @natban is getting switched powered and not constant, so the the presumable 12v signal isn't coming through when his lights are on/off.

But you're right, perhaps can lines are controlling it... The only way is to test it one by one by removing the cables and trying to get it to work... Unless you're handy with programming and MCU.

At the back of my headlight module I have three wires - orange, grey/red stripe and X other (can't remember right now). From the link above, it seems like grey/red is Illumination (12v variable) whereas orange is switched 12v... But I will need to investigate to be certain...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 05:24 AM   #31
BelyOpinko
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 E83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankalf View Post
Here I am...

Today I tried to play with my new Avin unit, but... big problem

I don't have an AUX plug, because I have the damn CD Changer!!
So, what can I do now?

I don't need to keep the CD changer, I can also leave it, but how can I have a AUX input?
Hello tankalf!

Did you get the unit to work?
My original screen just died, and i'm looking to replace it with a android one, but since i have a original gps navigation system i can't seem to find a suitable product.

Please let me know if you found a workaround

tks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 10:08 PM   #32
dundundun
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelyOpinko View Post
Hello tankalf!

Did you get the unit to work?
My original screen just died, and i'm looking to replace it with a android one, but since i have a original gps navigation system i can't seem to find a suitable product.

Please let me know if you found a workaround

tks
Hi BelyOpinko,

Are you still looking for an upgraded navigation display? I bought a 10.25" X3 navigation display from HiFiMax.net a couple of months ago (unit I purchased is here: https://www.hifimax.net/10-25-autora...m-32g-rom.html) but I decided to keep my stock navigation display. Willing to sell it for a good price if you're still looking .
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #33
money2bills
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

I installed the AVIN USA 10.25" display into my 2007 and 2005 BMW X3. In addition to the display I also installed the optional I-drive controller.

I was wondering if anyone here has also installed the I-drive controller with the display and can tell me if you have a backlight on your I-drive controller?

I find it hard to believe that there is no backlight for the controller. Thanks for any help.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 03:01 PM   #34
garmeraz
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X3

Avinusa 10.25 into my 2006 X3

What do I do if my radio won't turn on? I checked fuses.
I tried to install Avinusa 10.25 into my 2006 X3.
Do I need to program the radio? I hope not. I wish I had an installer for the Avin unit. Thanks, Gar
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #35
garmeraz
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X3

2006 X3 radio won't turn on

After taking out the radio to install the 10.25 unit I realized my radio had no power. I checked the fuses but now have most of my stuff just hanging out where the radio parts should be. I wish I had an installer help. Is it common to not have power? the center counsel part works and the unit works but without the radio it won't work like it needs to. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2019, 04:53 PM   #36
Magic Llama
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 e83

Does anyone have the full set of steering wheel controls working with this unit on an X3? I have volume working but not the phone button or the track advance/back buttons.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #37
trambulin
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (e83) 2004

I'm wondering if anybody here would have some experience in installing an android 10.25-inch touch screen car PC to their X3 (e83, 2004) WITH original navigation?

I have just received one that I installed and for some reason, it doesn't power off when there's no ignition. It just stays always on.

There's sound, the AUX wiring seems to be fine, even the Apple CarPlay is working well. But anything CAN bus related doesn't seem to be working like the iDrive button came with the package or the RPM any other metrics doesn't get syncronised with the android system.

I heard that there's no switched 12V on the radio's harness in X3s even the factory radio switches off/on using CAN bus signals, so something definitely should be around there...

Original system:

New system:

Android 9.0
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #38
haibn92
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi,

Someone has installed a backup camera can tell me if the PDC radar is working in camera view ? For me, it's not working at all. It seems that the head unit cannot interpret the can/i-bus signal from the car
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 01:33 AM   #39
Magic Llama
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 e83

I think this thread died. Nobody seems to have any answers about this unit or experience using it.
Appreciate 0