BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-07-2020, 07:48 PM   #331
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSurge View Post
Is this normal for the rear bottom spring under the adjuster to be this compressed?
Yes, or at least, both of mine are (sorry for the blurry pic but you get the idea)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #332
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt9999 View Post
Belmore Motor Works, near Ashfield. I'm pretty confident that they didn't read the instructions - and the supplier whom tried to talk them through the actual install has been very critical of them, and is certain himself they didn't read the instructions. But,
- the car drives well, even despite being very low and by observation of the adjusters at the lowest height setting, it is an improvement;
- the car looks a lot better sitting that much lower;
- the car does not make any noise, there are no squeaks / rattles, or anything to raise any fears;
- they didn't swap the bumpstops, but that hasn't caused any issues as yet, and from my recently acquired knowledge of bumpstops is not a life or death issue / can't affect how the springs will perform;
- actually looking at the springs they look right as compared to the photos / YouTube videos; and
- they have been really good with their time to discuss / allay any fears about the install subsequent. Their strong recommendation has been to roll on the existing set-up for two to four weeks, and then return the car for final adjustments.

I can only conclude that they were savvy enough to work out how to do a near enough to correct installation on their own. The install price was also reasonable (AU$924), but as noted in other posts, this is a minor concern relative to getting a correct job.
matt, post some pictures!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 08:22 PM   #333
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher View Post
And...just like that my plans got put on the shelf pending further diligence.

Honestly, I’m really not too hung up on the install cost as long as it’s done correctly. My biggest concerns are (1) doing this and finding minimal improvement in ride quality and thus feeling like it was a waste of time and money (again, improving ride quality is the only goal as I’m keeping ride height at stock); and/or (2) having the car settle over time lower than stock height; and/or (3) experiencing the banging, clinking, or bottoming our that others are reporting, whether it be due to installer error, lowering too much, or otherwise.
Well, I'm on my way to getting it done. Parts should be arriving next week from the UK.

I am getting a little concerned based on where this thread is headed but I'll plow ahead as there seems to be enough satisfied installs from what I gathered here. I've shared this thread with my local tuning shop and once the parts get here, I'll review further.

Any new insights into the noises even after moving the rear stops to the front would be appreciated.

Also some sound deadening, dynamat and other sound insulation added to the trunk area may be helpful. Anyone try to do that? Mine did not come with a spare as someone mentioned the spare makes the car quieter.

Last edited by JaeP; 08-07-2020 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #334
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael19887 View Post
I want to provide my experience and caution the members of this forum that it isn't always smooth sailing with the MSS springs. I picked a very well regarded and experienced installer, with highly favorable reviews that was recommended within this forum. I asked for a 1/4" drop to try and maximize comfort due to the poor ride quality. When I picked up the car, the drop was closer to 1 and 1/4 inch. There was minimal improvement to ride comfort, but new banging and clinking sounds from the front struts that was especially bad when turning the car. Folks on the forum were so helpful in pointing out an installation error that I took back in to have corrected. Once corrected, the ride was height raised, yet the springs are still making noise on the test drive. I'm currently going back to the stock set-up to ensure the long term viability of the car.
Sorry for your bad experience.
Un-experienced shop can make a good product into a bad product.
Not all experienced chef can cook good meat to become a good meal.

Quote:
Is this normal for the rear bottom spring under the adjuster to be this compressed?
That is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Yes, it's a helper spring so it's only there to keep tension on the main spring when fully extended.
It is a tender spring.
Different than helper spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
Well, I'm on my way to getting it done. Parts should be arriving next week from the UK.

I am getting a little concerned based on where this thread is headed but I'll plow ahead as there seems to be enough satisfied installs from what I gathered here. I've shared this thread with my local tuning shop and once the parts get here, I'll review further.

Any new insights into the noises even after moving the rear stops to the front would be appreciated.

Also some sound deadening, dynamat and other sound insulation added to the trunk area may be helpful. Anyone try to do that? Mine did not come with a spare as someone mentioned the spare makes the car quieter.
Dynamat won't help.
The top mount is direct to the interior.
Remember, it is an M car, BMW uses solid bushing instead of regular rubber bushing for comfort.
With that rigid bushing, all impact sound will be transferred directly since it doesn't absorb much.

Maybe you can reach out to the UK shop where you order, maybe they have better insight since you chose to purchase from there.
They must have much more knowledge than us the US reseller or distributor.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2020, 10:05 AM   #335
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: '20 X3M Competition

Does anyone have a link to the install instructions?

I wouldn’t mind pre-reading then myself.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-08-2020, 06:06 PM   #336
matt9999
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisiX View Post
Does anyone have a link to the install instructions?

I wouldn’t mind pre-reading then myself.
If you PM me your email address - I can email them to you.
Appreciate 1
elisiX687.00
      08-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #337
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

drove my car about 100 miles after i bought my car in the 2nd time for them to follow MSS instructions. i have a slight clunk/creaking sound when the rear goes over uneven roads, do you guys think its related to the install? prior to the install it did not make the sound
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:10 PM   #338
sys64738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
drove my car about 100 miles after i bought my car in the 2nd time for them to follow MSS instructions. i have a slight clunk/creaking sound when the rear goes over uneven roads, do you guys think its related to the install? prior to the install it did not make the sound
Does your car have the spare tire? Since a lot of trim in the back has to be removed to access the back springs, its possible they didn't tighten something back up when they put everything back together. I might open up the back trunk area and see if there is anything loose back there.

I have had the MSS springs installed for a week or two now and have no unexpected noises.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 12:13 PM   #339
JaeP
Private
Rep
Drives: '21 X3 x30i Dinan Sport gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Maybe you can reach out to the UK shop where you order, maybe they have better insight since you chose to purchase from there.
My local tuner ordered it from his supplier who said it is coming from the UK. I don't think he has a direct line other than MSS itself.

Last edited by JaeP; 08-09-2020 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2020, 01:34 PM   #340
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sys64738 View Post
Does your car have the spare tire? Since a lot of trim in the back has to be removed to access the back springs, its possible they didn't tighten something back up when they put everything back together. I might open up the back trunk area and see if there is anything loose back there.

I have had the MSS springs installed for a week or two now and have no unexpected noises.
i do have a spare, that was my first assumption but when i took a look at it nothing seemed loose, lots of foam padding around
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #341
EpicSurge
Enlisted Member
Rep

took it to my installer and they re torqued everything, still makes the clunk sound only on the driver rear side, he told me to drive it some more and come back in a week and if the sound is still there, he will redo the rear over

this is giving me a headache, my wife keeps complaining about the sound and i dont blame her
Appreciate 1
Max Well4734.50
      08-11-2020, 03:52 AM   #342
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

Quote:

That is normal.

It is a tender spring.

Dynamat won't help.
Remember, it is an M car, BMW uses solid bushing instead of regular rubber bushing for comfort.
With that rigid bushing, all impact sound will be transferred directly since it doesn't absorb much.

Has anyone added spacers without the MSS kit (i.e. stock)? Any considerations or reasons this may not work or look good? I may just proceed with those for now. This MSS kit sounds like it’s more than I can handle right now. Any pictures of the above described setup would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #343
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That is normal.

It is a tender spring.

Dynamat won't help.

Has anyone added spacers without the MSS kit (i.e. stock)? Any considerations or reasons this may not work or look good? I may just proceed with those for now. This MSS kit sounds like it’s more than I can handle right now. Any pictures of the above described setup would be greatly appreciated.
Go check out my build thread, or search for wheel spacer.
I have made a comparison in 2 different spacer sizes at stock height.
It was 11 or 12mm on one side and 15mm on the other side.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2020, 07:25 PM   #344
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Here is a post from my build thread with 12mm spacers on otherwise completely stock suspension.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=32

The spacers have been great and I would continue to use them without a doubt for as long as I am using the stock wheels. Once I get my wheels for my X3MC, the spacers will end up on my wife's X2.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12967.50
      08-12-2020, 12:40 AM   #345
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Hmmm.. I think the 15mm i've ordered are going to be too aggressive lol

2020 BMW X3M Competition ///M - ALPINE WHITE / SAKHIR ORANGE

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #346
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm.. I think the 15mm i've ordered are going to be too aggressive lol
Not if you are lowered.
My HRE wheel setup is similar to stock wheel with 15mm spacer.
It annoys the heck out of me before lowering, but after lowering, it is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 12:56 AM   #347
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

Good, as I am doing my MSS and spacers at the same time.

I had the same line of thinking as you, that once lowered it wouldn't matter.

The only other consideration is the stock Conti's, as PS4S might poke with 15mm?

Past: 18' BMW M3CS | 18' BMW X5M | '17 BMW M3 Competition | '16 Mercedes GLC250 | '16 BMW X5M | '15 BMW X5 M50d | '14 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:48 AM   #348
gallagher
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Not if you are lowered.
My HRE wheel setup is similar to stock wheel with 15mm spacer.
It annoys the heck out of me before lowering, but after lowering, it is perfect.
So this is sort of what I was getting at earlier. What exactly is it that annoyed you with the spacers before you lowered it? I think those pictures of your car at stock height with the spacers look great but wanna make sure I’m not missing something.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #349
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Good, as I am doing my MSS and spacers at the same time.

I had the same line of thinking as you, that once lowered it wouldn't matter.

The only other consideration is the stock Conti's, as PS4S might poke with 15mm?
No, they are about the same.
The tire sizes on stock wheel are a little to narrow.
Should've been 265 on the front and 295 on the rear for better meaty looks.

Quote:
So this is sort of what I was getting at earlier. What exactly is it that annoyed you with the spacers before you lowered it? I think those pictures of your car at stock height with the spacers look great but wanna make sure I'm not missing something.
With 15mm spacer, it is a little aggressive.
With that much wheel gap and wheel poking out, it gives illusion that the wheel is sticking out a lot. But in actuality, it is right on the fender.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 08:38 PM   #350
itsmabs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: TT RS, A6 allroad

Finally got mine installed, reading this thread had me double checking what parts came back to me. what's the easiest way to tell which bump stops should be leftover after install?

Thanks for the parts Ben!
Name:  IMG_20200813_173557.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  600.6 KB
Appreciate 4
AlexFL7836.00
r33_RGSport12967.50
Max Well4734.50
      08-13-2020, 09:22 PM   #351
elisiX
Major
Australia
Rep

I posted about this in another thread, but those looking into buying this kit should also check their tyre pressure before making a decision based on comfort alone.

My X3M has been crashy, banging on each bump on the stock suspension straight from delivery 2 weeks ago. I checked my delivery tyre pressure and it was 44/47 F/R!

I finally had some time this morning and I dropped to 35/35 (which came up as 38/38 as they weren't quite cold). The difference is night and day. It's like a new car!

Still, going with MSS next week to drop a little and improve the ride further but I am just blown away by just how much better it is already dropping the tyre pressure.

What tyre pressure is everyone running on their 21" wheels?

Appreciate 1
dazzapb1050.00
      08-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #352
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmabs View Post
Finally got mine installed, reading this thread had me double checking what parts came back to me. what's the easiest way to tell which bump stops should be leftover after install?

Thanks for the parts Ben!
Attachment 2388344
Looks good.
I'll take a picture on the stock front bump stop and measure the length.
Appreciate 1
itsmabs180.00