BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-30-2019, 02:28 AM   #1
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, F25 X3

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
frequent low windshield washer fluid

Hi all, owner x3 for 2yrs. the car runs great so far. But I ran into a weird problem. The windshield washer fluid alert will come on from time to time. I live in NorCal. There is not much chance to use it in summer. But the alert will come on fairly fast since the previous fill up. dealer torn the reservoir but found nothing. Also when I make sharp turn, the alert comes up too.

feels like the fluids just go away by itself too fast. wondering if anyone ran into the same issue?

btw, if I was to top it off myself, what should I buy.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #2
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

You don't say whether your fluid is actually low, or whether it's just the low level warning coming on no matter how much fluid. Assuming the fluid is actually low, you don't say how long it takes from the time you fill it until the light comes on again. The system holds about exactly a gallon. If you are losing a gallon of fluid every couple weeks or so, and your dealer could not find a leak that big, then you need a new dealer. As for filling it, just go buy the same blue stuff for any car for a couple bucks at the auto parts store. There is nothing special about washer fluid even if BMW tries to convince you that there is. Then keep track of how long it takes for your light to come on, and how much you actually used it. The fluid does not just evaporate.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opie55 View Post
You don't say whether your fluid is actually low, or whether it's just the low level warning coming on no matter how much fluid. Assuming the fluid is actually low, you don't say how long it takes from the time you fill it until the light comes on again. The system holds about exactly a gallon. If you are losing a gallon of fluid every couple weeks or so, and your dealer could not find a leak that big, then you need a new dealer. As for filling it, just go buy the same blue stuff for any car for a couple bucks at the auto parts store. There is nothing special about washer fluid even if BMW tries to convince you that there is. Then keep track of how long it takes for your light to come on, and how much you actually used it. The fluid does not just evaporate.
sorry for not making it clear. I would say both.

first one is the fluid will really go low after a refill without being used.

also from time to time, it is not really low, but the car will "think" it is low after a sharp/hard turn. I guess this is just the fluids shifting around in the tank and the sensor misread.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #4
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

I had that. Turned to be cracked tank or seal leaking around pump. Dealer did not bother to figure it out and just replaced tank with pumps under CPO.
I personally think it should be anything too complex to fix.
The tank is right above right wheel behind fender.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
I had that. Turned to be cracked tank or seal leaking around pump. Dealer did not bother to figure it out and just replaced tank with pumps under CPO.
Thanks! I will drop off the car and tell them to look down there too. I think they took some of it apart and found nothing. But I want to have it fixed before factory warranty goes out for sure.
Appreciate 1
      09-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #6
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
+1,000,000
Had same issue. Rubber grommet of the washer pump bit the dust. Changed it and no more issues.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 10:30 AM   #7
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Just to follow this up, has anyone got a guide on how to remove the washer tank? Does it involve removing both pieces of the arch liner?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 12:40 PM   #8
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Just to follow this up, has anyone got a guide on how to remove the washer tank? Does it involve removing both pieces of the arch liner?
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tem/1VnYFoig3B

Try this
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #9
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by romero1990 View Post
Thanks. So it looks like the complete liners have to come off. The instructions mention to replace the fixings around the arch trim. Did you do this? I presume they are one time use only which is why they need replacing?

I have a big leak and I suspect its coming from the washer pump or its seal.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 03:14 PM   #10
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Hi all, owner x3 for 2yrs. the car runs great so far. But I ran into a weird problem. The windshield washer fluid alert will come on from time to time. I live in NorCal. There is not much chance to use it in summer. But the alert will come on fairly fast since the previous fill up. dealer torn the reservoir but found nothing. Also when I make sharp turn, the alert comes up too.

feels like the fluids just go away by itself too fast. wondering if anyone ran into the same issue? btw, if I was to top it off myself, what should I buy.

thanks
I'm sure your issue is not the same as mine was but if you are going to disconnect things to remove your reservoir, be careful when reinstalling it as the connection from the reservoir to the black fill neck can leak.

Mine had a slow leak, I would only notice it in the morning when getting in to the car to go to work. There would be a blue puddle near the front passenger tire. Turned out to be a bad connection between the filler tube and the reservoir. I was under warranty at the time and the dealer was right next to where I worked so I would drive it to the dealer in the morning and pick it up after work. Took three visits before they finally got it to stop leaking. BTW, it would only leak when the reservoir was full. They used silicone to seal the connection, been good now for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2020, 08:35 PM   #11
romero1990
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 X3  [0.00]
2009 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty in NY View Post
Quote:

feels like the fluids just go away by itself too fast. wondering if anyone ran into the same issue? btw, if I was to top it off myself, what should I buy.

thanks
I'm sure your issue is not the same as mine was but if you are going to disconnect things to remove your reservoir, be careful when reinstalling it as the connection from the reservoir to the black fill neck can leak.

Mine had a slow leak, I would only notice it in the morning when getting in to the car to go to work. There would be a blue puddle near the front passenger tire. Turned out to be a bad connection between the filler tube and the reservoir. I was under warranty at the time and the dealer was right next to where I worked so I would drive it to the dealer in the morning and pick it up after work. Took three visits before they finally got it to stop leaking. BTW, it would only leak when the reservoir was full. They used silicone to seal the connection, been good now for years.
Quote:
Quote:

thanks

After a few drips to the stealership I bought 2 gallons of blues from autozone and filled it up myself. It looks ok so far. I suspect they never filled it and the cap was probably not closed properly.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Interesting point. I have the same problem as there is a patch near the tyre.

I presume its the washer pump and/or the seal leaking, didnt think about the filler tube.

But then again, I dont think it can be that because mine leaks from full to almost empty.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #13
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60525d View Post
Interesting point. I have the same problem as there is a patch near the tyre.

I presume its the washer pump and/or the seal leaking, didnt think about the filler tube.

But then again, I dont think it can be that because mine leaks from full to almost empty.
Right, the key to understanding the issue I had was that it only leaked when I filled it completely and the fluid was all the way up to the cap. Anyway, get yourself a little mirror on a telescopic wand and a flashlight and poke around, you might find the issue without having to pull the inner fender out.
Appreciate 0