BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-14-2021, 09:34 PM   #1
denniss
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

NFC card

Should 2022 x4mc come with one ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 09:43 PM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Per the deletion and order threads, the 2022 MY G01/02 and F97/98 have 32Z - Deletion of Digital Key, which removes the NFC reader in the centre console and door handle, as well as disabling the Digital Key functionality. This is applicable worldwide for this particular model.

There has not been any further update currently, whether BMW will remove the deletion in future builds currently.

This does not affect the iX3 (Europe and Asia only) however. This is also the only model not built in South Carolina.
Appreciate 1
denniss397.00
      11-15-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
Per the deletion and order threads, the 2022 MY G01/02 and F97/98 have 32Z - Deletion of Digital Key, which removes the NFC reader in the centre console and door handle, as well as disabling the Digital Key functionality. This is applicable worldwide for this particular model.

There has not been any further update currently, whether BMW will remove the deletion in future builds currently.

This does not affect the iX3 (Europe and Asia only) however. This is also the only model not built in South Carolina.
hows that retrofit going? 👀
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #4
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Its possible, I checked in the console and the wiring harnesses are all there or can be hooked up. So whoever has the will can def do it when the parts become available.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #5
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have bought the wireless charger and NFC pad, just need the replacement cupholder and wiring (if the 6 pin connector is not there). I didnt get the replacement driver's side door handle with NFC yet however, since I'm not sure if its missing a wire or not on ours with 32Z (they added an additional wire for the NFC on the door handle)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
Its possible, I checked in the console and the wiring harnesses are all there or can be hooked up. So whoever has the will can def do it when the parts become available.
Is there a 6 pin connector in the console just hanging there or is it just the normal wiring loom there. If its the latter, likely will have to splice the connectors for power, ground and KCAN.

Do keep in mind the one caveat we may have, and that would be activating digital keys. While we can get NFC cards potentially, they would likely have to be paired with the car having a valid ConnectedDrive connection to "validate" the NFC chip prior to use.

So while we can install the hardware in our cars, the authentication process may not work as a result of the ConnectedDrive servers not seeing the vehicle capable of it.

Therefore unless we know someone on the server side who can "remove" the deletion on their side, we may be stuck.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 09:35 PM   #6
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have bought the wireless charger and NFC pad, just need the replacement cupholder and wiring (if the 6 pin connector is not there). I didnt get the replacement driver's side door handle with NFC yet however, since I'm not sure if its missing a wire or not on ours with 32Z (they added an additional wire for the NFC on the door handle)

Is there a 6 pin connector in the console just hanging there or is it just the normal wiring loom there. If its the latter, likely will have to splice the connectors for power, ground and KCAN.

Do keep in mind the one caveat we may have, and that would be activating digital keys. While we can get NFC cards potentially, they would likely have to be paired with the car having a valid ConnectedDrive connection to "validate" the NFC chip prior to use.

So while we can install the hardware in our cars, the authentication process may not work as a result of the ConnectedDrive servers not seeing the vehicle capable of it.

Therefore unless we know someone on the server side who can "remove" the deletion on their side, we may be stuck.
It is not pigtailed so I'm guessing you need a new harness from the canbus of where ever it comes from. The wireless charger is stubbed out next to USB cable, they just deleted the pad itself. I will be tearing mine apart next week to really check things out, if NFC is possible, I'm sure theres a way to code it in since its an exact mimic of the other systems in 3 series that have it. Just going to take a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 10:04 PM   #7
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It is not pigtailed so I'm guessing you need a new harness from the canbus of where ever it comes from. The wireless charger is stubbed out next to USB cable, they just deleted the pad itself. I will be tearing mine apart next week to really check things out, if NFC is possible, I'm sure theres a way to code it in since its an exact mimic of the other systems in 3 series that have it. Just going to take a lot of work.
Yeah wiring wise, its the same as the Pre-LCI if it isn't optioned with 6NW - Wireless Charging. Someone had posted about retrofitting the OEM Wireless Charging on their Pre-LCI G01 X3, which I had studied the wiring diagrams, are the exact same as the NFC pad as they all use power, ground (can use the power outlet in the centre console) and K-CAN7 (BDC in the passenger footwell)

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1599217

However as mentioned, it will not be as simple as only hardware for the NFC Pad and Door Handle, and then removing 32Z - Deletion of Digital Key and coding in the modules in conjunction with Comfort Access.

The Digital Key likely requires authentication from the ConnectedDrive server to do an initial activation for both the NFC card and iPhone/Android to authenticate the NFC chip to paired for one car only (NFC Card) or multiple cars (iPhone/Android.)

I doubt BMW will allow an activation of an NFC Card without a ConnectedDrive server authentication prior, for security and exploit purposes. However if we're able to get their servers to "allow" the activation of Digital Key again, whether it'd be automatic or whether we need to speak with someone at ConnectedDrive that has the authority to reactivate the functionality for vehicles deactivated with them.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
mild bump. ever get a chance to work on this?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 03:39 PM   #9
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
mild bump. ever get a chance to work on this?
Hit a wall with the software, I have no way of "turning it on" in the BMW software. Was hoping someone would pick this up who is a little more attuned to diving into the cars systems. Everything hooks up fine, but car doesn't recognize or do anything once it is. Remote start is as good as it gets right...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:21 PM   #10
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hit a wall with the software, I have no way of "turning it on" in the BMW software. Was hoping someone would pick this up who is a little more attuned to diving into the cars systems. Everything hooks up fine, but car doesn't recognize or do anything once it is. Remote start is as good as it gets right...
Did you VO code out 32Z - Deletion of Digital Key already or you haven't programmed the car yet? (This cannot be done with Bimmercode) Otherwise if the deletion has already been coded out and nothing still shows up on the iDrive, it is likely a limitation from the ConnectedDrive back-end servers.

Also when you did the door handle replacement, did you need to fit a new harness in as well or did it just connect no problem with the extra pin? I'm also assuming for the NFC / Charging tray, you had to wire it in yourself?

I'll probably attempt this in March, after I get the dash replaced under warranty (QC issue)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 06:43 PM   #11
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Did you VO code out 32Z - Deletion of Digital Key already or you haven't programmed the car yet? (This cannot be done with Bimmercode) Otherwise if the deletion has already been coded out and nothing still shows up on the iDrive, it is likely a limitation from the ConnectedDrive back-end servers.

Also when you did the door handle replacement, did you need to fit a new harness in as well or did it just connect no problem with the extra pin? I'm also assuming for the NFC / Charging tray, you had to wire it in yourself?

I'll probably attempt this in March, after I get the dash replaced under warranty (QC issue)
I swapped parts and just connected without re pig tailing any harnesses, but it all hooked up properly and had the appropriate bits needed. I am not to versed on esys and whatnot so I didn’t want to mess anything up. I was going to get back into it when it’s not winter and I have more time to tinker.

My guess is it is server side locked out though, most of bmws functions seem to be more cloud attached.
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #12
Mike02z
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW M4 Manual

Garage List
2024 BMW M4  [10.00]
Will this allow you to not have to carry the FOB? I can open and start my car remotely via the app so I’m thinking it must be to replace the fob?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:45 PM   #13
iSpY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike02z View Post
Will this allow you to not have to carry the FOB? I can open and start my car remotely via the app so I’m thinking it must be to replace the fob?
If the Digital Key retrofit works out (which I really hope), then you should able to use your iPhone/Apple Watch to unlock and start the car (without the key fob).
Appreciate 1
X3mcesq57.00
      02-01-2022, 03:58 PM   #14
iSpY
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Just came across this post in the X3 forum and looks like Digital Key is now available. Assuming we can get the HW sorted out, I am wondering whether BMW will offer to 'enable' this function with a SW update/$ubscription.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1895984
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2022, 09:01 AM   #15
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-SpY View Post
Just came across this post in the X3 forum and looks like Digital Key is now available. Assuming we can get the HW sorted out, I am wondering whether BMW will offer to 'enable' this function with a SW update/$ubscription.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1895984
Probably non-US spec only cars for now. Looks like OP is from the UK and the iX3 models all had digital keys (LCI models of course).
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:24 AM   #16
bereic
Rep
Drives: X3 30e M

Any news here?
I ordered the NFC/WC pad, wire loom and the new cupholder.
Does someone know the part number for the door handle? Are they complete or just a part of it need to be exchanged? I guess they are not painted right? Only left driver or all of them need replacement?

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 06:53 AM   #17
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereic View Post
Any news here?
I ordered the NFC/WC pad, wire loom and the new cupholder.
Does someone know the part number for the door handle? Are they complete or just a part of it need to be exchanged? I guess they are not painted right? Only left driver or all of them need replacement?

Thank you
this will only work on MY22 btw.

ive contacted a few people who i regard as "masters" when it comes to coding and they say it simply isn't possible. i've given up all hope for a digital key retrofit on this platform.
Appreciate 1
thestimp1033.00
      03-22-2022, 08:32 AM   #18
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
this will only work on MY22 btw.

ive contacted a few people who i regard as "masters" when it comes to coding and they say it simply isn't possible. i've given up all hope for a digital key retrofit on this platform.
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 12:22 PM   #19
bereic
Rep

I know about MY22. Mine is a 22.
What is the reason that it should not be possible?
I can't think that Connected Drive has to do something with it. Within the app i am also now able to open or close the doors. Or is there something additional that NFC has to do with?
The NFC technology is from my point of view a simple "Near-Field" thing which shouldn't have to do something with connected drive?!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #20
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bereic View Post
I know about MY22. Mine is a 22.
What is the reason that it should not be possible?
I can't think that Connected Drive has to do something with it. Within the app i am also now able to open or close the doors. Or is there something additional that NFC has to do with?
The NFC technology is from my point of view a simple "Near-Field" thing which shouldn't have to do something with connected drive?!
digital key is directly connected to your VIN. the only way to activate it is through the BMW App and through ConnectedDrive services. the car can be VO coded and have all relevant hardware installed, but there is no way of getting the app changed on the server end.

Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 02:31 PM   #21
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
digital key is directly connected to your VIN. the only way to activate it is through the BMW App and through ConnectedDrive services. the car can be VO coded and have all relevant hardware installed, but there is no way of getting the app changed on the server end.
That's correct.

Unless we know someone who works in the backend who's able to change the option code for our VINs to remove 32Z - Digital Key deletion and allow the provision for the digital key as a result, there's no way for us to get Digital Key to work.

This is mainly due to ConnectedDrive acting as the authentication server to ensure, whether thru a NFC card or phone, that it's authorized to be used as a key for a particular VIN. So it acts like a credit card in that sense.

Without communication to an authentication server, there's no way for the car to "pair" the key to the car even if it's fitted with the hardware.
Appreciate 1
thestimp1033.00
      03-22-2022, 04:12 PM   #22
bereic
Rep

OK understood.
But.. in the past all changes to the VO (when coded my F07) have been adopted into the BMW Servers if coded in VCM/MSM.
I saw this with a friend who works as Master Technician at my dealer. The BMW Servers did contain the SoftClose- and SurroundView-Retrofits and they were able to update the car without errors.

So would it not be possible if updated in VCM/MSM? And that the BMW Servers would adopt it?
Appreciate 0