BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2020, 01:49 PM   #1
Mark_G
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M competition

Does the engine loosen up after break-in?

So last night my wife told me that the X3MC I got her doesn't feel as fast as our last X5 50i that we replaced.

I explained that it definitely is with 50+ hp and less weight. Maybe it doesn't feel as fast due to the torque, but if you look at the speedo, you're going faster than you realize. She countered by saying that when she goes to pass another car, it's not effortless like it was in the X5 and that she feels like she can't pass quickly. She drives in standard modes - D and no M button.

I think she's missing the wave of torque that the X5 had and probably isn't used to this engine yet. By all metrics, this one should be faster in every way, but I do know what she means as it doesn't throw you back into your seat the way the X5 did.

So...is that just something we need to get used to with this one, or will the engine loosen up significantly? We just have under 300 miles on the odometer now, and I think that's a big factor. That's probably also why it's getting like 10 miles to the gallon now. Hopefully after break-in, both of those problems will be resolved.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 01:54 PM   #2
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Not sure but what I have observed is that all the settings make a big difference. Regular D mode for the transmission is fine but you will want to be in DII. DI upshifts very early in the rev range and prevents the car from feeling fast. DII is the best setting for what I consider normal driving, DIII is too aggressive.

Next point is I only drive with the engine in sport plus. Comfort mode holds it back too much, sport is ok, but what's the point? The point of an M is power so I only drive it in sport plus engine.

If you default the m1 button to sport plus engine and d2 for the transmission your wife will probably like it much better.
BMWZ41909.50
SRHinVA36.00
Mark_G8.00
      02-02-2020, 02:09 PM   #3
Mark_G
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
Not sure but what I have observed is that all the settings make a big difference. Regular D mode for the transmission is fine but you will want to be in DII. DI upshifts very early in the rev range and prevents the car from feeling fast. DII is the best setting for what I consider normal driving, DIII is too aggressive.

Next point is I only drive with the engine in sport plus. Comfort mode holds it back too much, sport is ok, but what's the point? The point of an M is power so I only drive it in sport plus engine.

If you default the m1 button to sport plus engine and d2 for the transmission your wife will probably like it much better.
Ok thanks, I'll change the settings and see what she thinks.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Perfectly explained! Indeed, those single settings have a huge influence on driving dynamics. Like you said, avoid D1 and avoid comfort mode.
Appreciate 2
SRHinVA36.00
DAC17170.50
      02-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #5
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

The other thing to note is this engine really only starts to come alive at 3,000rpm. Below that it does feel rather mundane / ordinary. The magic happens above 3,000 and the d2 setting will help the car downshift pretty quick and seamless.
Mark_G8.00
      02-02-2020, 02:42 PM   #6
Mark_G
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
The other thing to note is this engine really only starts to come alive at 3,000rpm. Below that it does feel rather mundane / ordinary. The magic happens above 3,000 and the d2 setting will help the car downshift pretty quick and seamless.
OK thanks, I think that is the issue. The X5 had torque everywhere. She isn't used to having to wring out an engine, so I need to adjust the settings so it gets into the power band easier. And I still hope it will loosen up a bit after break-in.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:13 PM   #7
arube1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: audi s5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_G View Post
OK thanks, I think that is the issue. The X5 had torque everywhere. She isn't used to having to wring out an engine, so I need to adjust the settings so it gets into the power band easier. And I still hope it will loosen up a bit after break-in.
The more and more I read these comments I am thinking the m40i might be the way to go .
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #8
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

I was happy I hit 12 MPG only going past 3k RPM a handful of times (Almost all in town driving).

I don’t think the gas mileage will get better and I’m actually surprised the EPA allowed the ratings it did.

The little button on top of the shifter seems to hold the revs longer. Might want to give that a try.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Set M1 to D2 and Sport for the engine and she will be happier.

Moving from a big torquey V8 to an M engine that needs to be revved will be a surprise. My wife didn’t think my car was that fast when she drove it either as she changes gear at 4k (she drives a diesel Evoque).

The S58 likes to be revved and really all the fun is between 5k and 7k, starting around 3.5k rpm.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2020, 08:32 AM   #10
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
The more and more I read these comments I am thinking the m40i might be the way to go .
It definitely is if you want a cruiser with effortless but limited performance. The B58 is epic from 1200 rpm, but does not like to be revved. It's also much more softly sprung and doesn't like the corners like it's big brother.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #11
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by arube1 View Post
You want low to mid range power, M40i

You want mid range to high power, X3M
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #12
Zero71
👽
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3MC

If you mean she drives in default efficient mode then it’s really quite lacklustre because it is optimised for fuel consumption and largely ignores your right foot. My wife reckons it’s slower than her Mini Cooper by a lot, but she too refuses to press buttons. It’s never going to feel quick unless you push some buttons. I’d set M1 to Sport engine, D2 gears and comfort everything. I’d set M2 to Sport+ engine, D2 gears, and sport sus. That’ll give her a go faster button, and an even faster button. Stay away from 3 on the gears unless you go manual, it’s too choppy otherwise. With sport+ and D2, the car feels quick and responsive - totally different car from defaults. Pity we can’t change the defaults.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:27 AM   #13
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero71 View Post
If you mean she drives in default efficient mode then it’s really quite lacklustre because it is optimised for fuel consumption and largely ignores your right foot. My wife reckons it’s slower than her Mini Cooper by a lot, but she too refuses to press buttons. It’s never going to feel quick unless you push some buttons. I’d set M1 to Sport engine, D2 gears and comfort everything. I’d set M2 to Sport+ engine, D2 gears, and sport sus. That’ll give her a go faster button, and an even faster button. Stay away from 3 on the gears unless you go manual, it’s too choppy otherwise. With sport+ and D2, the car feels quick and responsive - totally different car from defaults. Pity we can’t change the defaults.
This. Most of these modern BMWs are totally different beasts depending on the drive modes. Leave it in efficient and hold throttle steady and change a mode and you’ll feel the immediate difference. It’s no different in my F80 when I forget to press my M1 button to change to sport and MDM. Throttle response is totally different. It’s both a blessing and a curse that they give you throttle, transmission and transmission mode settings (F80 is manual so less to worry about) - you can customize to your liking but you have to figure out what feels best for your use a bit more. M1 in ours is sport throttle, sport steering (too twitchy but numb in comfort) and comfort suspension with transmission in D2.
Appreciate 0