BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #23
OhMyXM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC

I absolutely love my X3MC! For those who think it is sluggish, take the damn thing out of comfort mode! Additionally, for all these "test drive" decisions on speed, the engine is programed to not let you kill it. They limit the M cars up to the 1200 mile break in service. At break-in, they take off the limiters. I can tell ya first hand, not much beats ya when the light turns green! Even when you aren't trying. As far as the Top Gear and Evo reviews... They are absolute rubbish. The only good use they have is to line a bird cage. As far as stiffness, yeah, it's a firm ride. It's a F'n M-car! It's supposed to be firm! If you want cushy, get a Camry. I'm 100% Sport+ all of the time. I don't even know what comfort mode means - never driven in it. It's totally fine as a daily driver! And since I am a stay at home dad and shuttle the kids this side of the moon all day, every day, I'd be the first to warn ya. But it's a blast to drive! Even in parking lots 😂😂. Sorry, that's got to be the dumbest comment ever.
Appreciate 8
DeeKay553.00
RustyBitz1572.50
Fuller1216.50
AlexFL7833.00
lab_rat394.50
JensM63.50
MechX3M40i1006.00
      01-09-2020, 12:22 AM   #24
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Video: X4M Competition Driving Impressions -Got my hands on a X4M Competition ... Check out the video review ...
Thanks for sharing, Imran - well done.

For us, this line (especially the larger cargo-area X3M) is the perfect blend of utility, performance, handling and luxury at a reasonable price point considering all that it offers. Yesterday I carried 800 lbs of river rock and some additional landscaping supplies, while today I get to enjoy it's handling on some country roads. Really glad M Division is offering them now.
Yeah that's pretty much the best of both worlds!
      01-09-2020, 12:29 AM   #25
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ZCP, 2020 F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMyXM View Post
I absolutely love my X3MC! For those who think it is sluggish, take the damn thing out of comfort mode! Additionally, for all these "test drive" decisions on speed, the engine is programed to not let you kill it. They limit the M cars up to the 1200 mile break in service. At break-in, they take off the limiters.
Sorry to burst your bubble but this part is wrong. There are no limits on the car, not even the lack of launch control like the F8x series had until being unlocked in DCT models during the initial RIS/Break-in Service. It’s purely recommended that you limit RPMs and top speed until 1200 and 3100 miles, but there is nothing to prevent you from doing it from mile 1.

Otherwise, I agree..it’s a great car and incredible given the weight/high center of gravity.
Appreciate 3
JTO245246.50
Swappy531.50
rich8566608.50
      01-09-2020, 12:34 AM   #26
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Love the X4! But the M version should come with an option for a carbon fiber roof or a solid metal roof without moonroof or the ridiculously heavy panoramic moonroof. I want solid something over my head in case of a rollover. This would take 45 to 70 pound Off the roof. And yes I still want working/functional mounting brackets for mounting a Thule rack. And I still don't understand why the X4 does not have interior roof grab handles for all the passengers.
You can do solid metal roof on X3M so assuming you can do the same on X4M as well. Just need to add the M Drivers package which deletes panoramic moon roof and increases speed limiter. Don’t think any on the lot have it, but for custom orders you can. See thread: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=14
Appreciate 1
JTO245246.50
      01-09-2020, 01:17 AM   #27
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexFL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Evo Magazine didn't think much of the X3 M:

"This might sound harsh, but the X3 M feels like a product of an internal department's will to have this small niche in the market filled, rather than a car engineered by people with the passion or interest to execute it properly."

https://www.evo.co.uk/bmw/x3/202087/...-wrong-package
This is probably the worst X3M review I've read so far. Completely off. Numb handling? Dull powertrain? S58 is heavily based on B58? 0-62 in 4.1 sec? outright stopping power feels a little undernourished? Transmission lacks urgency in shifts? That's just lazy and wrong. They have probably spent 30 minutes with this car.

For comparison, check out these two reviews:
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...mw-x3-m-drive/
I think the suspension and ride ruined it for them - plus they're comparing with the Stelvio and the Macan which are both fair comparisons. I'd take the Porsche tbh if I wanted a fast SUV otherwise I'll stick to cars which aren't as compromised.
Appreciate 1
Swappy531.50
      01-09-2020, 01:53 AM   #28
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhite_SJ View Post
Quote:
Love the X4! But the M version should come with an option for a carbon fiber roof or a solid metal roof without moonroof or the ridiculously heavy panoramic moonroof. I want solid something over my head in case of a rollover. This would take 45 to 70 pound Off the roof. And yes I still want working/functional mounting brackets for mounting a Thule rack. And I still don't understand why the X4 does not have interior roof grab handles for all the passengers.
You can do solid metal roof on X3M so assuming you can do the same on X4M as well. Just need to add the M Drivers package which deletes panoramic moon roof and increases speed limiter. Don't think any on the lot have it, but for custom orders you can. See thread: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=14
Like putting running shoes on a hippo ... a carbon roof on an SUV is hardly going to make a difference to the already high centre of gravity is it now?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 01:58 AM   #29
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Like putting running shoes on a hippo ... a carbon roof on an SUV is hardly going to make a difference to the already high centre of gravity is it now?
Reading comprehension - I said metal roof, not CF and yes, a metal roof can make a difference compared to the heavy ass glass and frame of a panoramic roof. Do you really think the last two generations of M3s saved a ton of weight and center of gravity effect from a CF vs steel roof? Yes? Well there you go - panoramic roof to slick top is probably just as big of a gain.

And besides, some people don’t want the sunroof and care more about rollover and reliability issues from a roof that is 2/3rds glass vs traditional metal.

We already put the running shoes on the hippo, but are they spikes or long distance waffles?
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      01-09-2020, 02:31 AM   #30
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X4M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"This might sound harsh, but the X3 M feels like a product of an internal department's will to have this small niche in the market filled, rather than a car engineered by people with the passion or interest to execute it properly."

This is probably the worst X3M review I've read so far. Completely off. Numb handling? Dull powertrain? S58 is heavily based on B58? 0-62 in 4.1 sec? outright stopping power feels a little undernourished? Transmission lacks urgency in shifts? That's just lazy and wrong. They have probably spent 30 minutes with this car.

I think the suspension and ride ruined it for them - plus they're comparing with the Stelvio and the Macan which are both fair comparisons. I'd take the Porsche tbh if I wanted a fast SUV otherwise I'll stick to cars which aren't as compromised.
There's nothing wrong with the suspension nor the ride. Think you need to drive one to judge it for yourself.

Gone: 2019 X3M Competition, Toronto Red, Adelaide Grey.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:46 AM   #31
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Reading comprehension - I said metal roof, not CF and yes, a metal roof can make a difference compared to the heavy ass glass and frame of a panoramic roof. Do you really think the last two generations of M3s saved a ton of weight and center of gravity effect from a CF vs steel roof? Yes? Well there you go - panoramic roof to slick top is probably just as big of a gain.

And besides, some people don't want the sunroof and care more about rollover and reliability issues from a roof that is 2/3rds glass vs traditional metal.

We already put the running shoes on the hippo, but are they spikes or long distance waffles?
Agree a solid roof would be lighter on any car but the M3 was genuinely lighter than its contemporaries all up and the carbon roof was standard to assist in achieving that goal (as well as it being marketing of course - not sure how many mortals could feel the difference the roof makes in the M3).

The X3 M has been unfortunately engineered to be heavier than all its contemporaries. That seems like a massive oversight to me from BMW to enter a category for the first time with a good looking SUV, proper M engineering and end up heavier than nearly everyone - even the Merc GLC63S which is equiped with more cylinders, air suspension and is more plush in general.

All that weight means needing a suspension setup to contain the mass riding up high and rather predictably that has spoiled the ride somewhat. Reducing over 2000 kg's worth of SUV by single digits removing the sunroof... like I said ... hardly worth it in reality but each to their own.
Appreciate 1
2011zx10R427.00
      01-09-2020, 03:01 AM   #32
mfurse
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's nothing wrong with the suspension nor the ride. Think you need to drive one to judge it for yourself.
Don't get me wrong - I'm keen to get behind the wheel of one mate as I've only been a passenger ride so far in one - I'm just sharing that Evo didn't like the ride.

The Porsche Macan Turbo I drove did seem to ride better as wasn't as stiffly sprung and the damping seemed more sophisticated but also the Porsche engine doesn't feel as frantic or punchy as the S58 in the X3 M.

I wish BMW would do a M3 wagon instead for those of us who don't necessarily like riding high I'm thinking an Alpina B3 Touring might be a good option to replace the F80.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:09 AM   #33
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Don't get me wrong - I'm keen to get behind the wheel of one mate as I've only been a passenger ride so far in one - I'm just sharing that Evo didn't like the ride.

The Porsche Macan Turbo I drove did seem to ride better as wasn't as stiffly sprung and the damping seemed more sophisticated but also the Porsche engine doesn't feel as frantic or punchy as the S58 in the X3 M.

I wish BMW would do a M3 wagon instead for those of us who don't necessarily like riding high I'm thinking an Alpina B3 Touring might be a good option to replace the F80.
For me the X3M is a M3 Touring. Probably not quite as focused, but once 'on it' in the X3M is epic. You can feel the weight occasionally in the twisties, but keep the engine in Sport+ and using the paddles between 4.5k and 7k rpm it's crazy fast and a huge amount of fun. It's got stopping power too with brakes from the M760i.

I'd also like a B3S Touring, but it was double the price (finance monthlies) in the UK, and the Macan Turbo S was similar.

The X3M is not perfect, but it's a very good car and I've been confused by the reviews - I've driven a stack of M and AMG cars too.

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:36 AM   #34
2011zx10R
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RS6
Appreciate 2
mfurse182.00
ali820271.50
      01-09-2020, 07:10 AM   #35
nublu2u
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS

Not just the evo review in the UK, Autocar gave the X4M 3 out 5 stars - which has got to be the lowest score for an M car that I've seen anywhere.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/x4-m
      01-09-2020, 08:02 AM   #36
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by nublu2u View Post
Not just the evo review in the UK, Autocar gave the X4M 3 out 5 stars - which has got to be the lowest score for an M car that I've seen anywhere.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/x4-m
Oh, look... carmagazine is much more positive about this car.

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/bmw/x3-m/
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 08:57 AM   #37
OhMyXM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I absolutely love my X3MC! For those who think it is sluggish, take the damn thing out of comfort mode! Additionally, for all these "test drive" decisions on speed, the engine is programed to not let you kill it. They limit the M cars up to the 1200 mile break in service. At break-in, they take off the limiters.
Sorry to burst your bubble but this part is wrong. There are no limits on the car, not even the lack of launch control like the F8x series had until being unlocked in DCT models during the initial RIS/Break-in Service. It's purely recommended that you limit RPMs and top speed until 1200 and 3100 miles, but there is nothing to prevent you from doing it from mile 1.

Otherwise, I agree..it's a great car and incredible given the weight/high center of gravity.
Huh, This is my first M-car, so just going in what I was told by BMW NA, my sales guy, service advisor and the the tech who did the work on it... Also talked to a few other M owners and they also indicated it. So is BMW just blowing smoke up our asses on this for some reason? What's you take on it? Interested to hear your insight!
I mean, mine did run "better" after he service... The exhaust got it's "pop" when shifting, etc. Mind over matter...? Perhaps, I fell for the whole "magic button" thing... Admittedly, I did drive like and "old lady" for the first 1200 as I wanted to ease her into use and scared shitless of breaking something I just wrote a very big check for... So maybe that's it too...
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:03 AM   #38
OhMyXM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011zx10R View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

RS6
Isn't the RS6 like $170,000 though? Different class all together. That'd be more along the lines of an M5 wagon. Which would be sweet! The RS6 is frick'n awesome though!! If I had the cash, I sure as hell would get one!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #39
AlexFL
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Isn't the RS6 like $170,000 though? Different class all together. That'd be more along the lines of an M5 wagon. Which would be sweet! The RS6 is frick'n awesome though!! If I had the cash, I sure as hell would get one!
No, it should start around 110k. Well equipped around 130k.
Appreciate 1
OhMyXM118.50
      01-09-2020, 10:22 AM   #40
mjrennie
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imran@Evolve View Post
Got my hands on a X4M Competition and was really interested to test the engine that will be powering the next generation M3/M4.

Check out the video review below.

Superb review. I love mine, it's car that does everything. In some style too.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 10:23 AM   #41
AlpineWhite_SJ
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Huh, This is my first M-car, so just going in what I was told by BMW NA, my sales guy, service advisor and the the tech who did the work on it... Also talked to a few other M owners and they also indicated it. So is BMW just blowing smoke up our asses on this for some reason? What's you take on it? Interested to hear your insight!
I mean, mine did run "better" after he service... The exhaust got it's "pop" when shifting, etc. Mind over matter...? Perhaps, I fell for the whole "magic button" thing... Admittedly, I did drive like and "old lady" for the first 1200 as I wanted to ease her into use and scared shitless of breaking something I just wrote a very big check for... So maybe that's it too...
It's been documented ad-nauseum in F80 and other M model forums that all they do for this service is change the engine and differential oil. The DCT models did get launch control enabled on older models, but BMW got rid of this with the X3M/X4Ms. They're blowing smoke...

Run in service doc:
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...0B00%2003%2015
Appreciate 2
OhMyXM118.50
      01-09-2020, 08:58 PM   #42
OhMyXM
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's been documented ad-nauseum in F80 and other M model forums that all they do for this service is change the engine and differential oil. The DCT models did get launch control enabled on older models, but BMW got rid of this with the X3M/X4Ms. They're blowing smoke...

Run in service doc:
https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...0B00%2003%2015
Thank you! Much appreciated!!
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2020, 04:23 AM   #43
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Quote:
You can do solid metal roof on X3M so assuming you can do the same on X4M as well. Just need to add the M Drivers package which deletes panoramic moon roof and increases speed limiter. Don’t think any on the lot have it, but for custom orders you can. See thread: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...8;postcount=14
How about in the States?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 04:47 AM   #44
moff
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree a solid roof would be lighter on any car but the M3 was genuinely lighter than its contemporaries all up and the carbon roof was standard to assist in achieving that goal (as well as it being marketing of course - not sure how many mortals could feel the difference the roof makes in the M3).

The X3 M has been unfortunately engineered to be heavier than all its contemporaries. That seems like a massive oversight to me from BMW to enter a category for the first time with a good looking SUV, proper M engineering and end up heavier than nearly everyone - even the Merc GLC63S which is equiped with more cylinders, air suspension and is more plush in general.

All that weight means needing a suspension setup to contain the mass riding up high and rather predictably that has spoiled the ride somewhat. Reducing over 2000 kg's worth of SUV by single digits removing the sunroof... like I said ... hardly worth it in reality but each to their own.
The comparison to the GLC63S is interesting for things like weight.

You can't forget that the X3M is a bigger car - it’s longer, wider and taller than the GLC so that’s where the additional weight comes from. I’ll agree that it is unusual for an M to be heavier than the comparable AMG car though.

So for M the starting position with the X3 was already heavier due to the size. A carbon roof would save weight, but would that saving really benefit this car? I’d also still spec a pano roof anyway, I love it!

Appreciate 0