BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #23
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
This. X5 45e seems have the right specs - 6 cylinder gas engine with a pretty good PHEV range.
I have the 2018 X5 40e with the 4-cyl and 14 mi real-world electric range. If I were buying another SUV, the 45e would be the ONLY one on my list. 6 cyl smoothness and an electric range that serves 100% of my local driving needs. I'd have the ICE for inter-city travel with no need for in-trip charging and about 35 MPG (if my 40e experience is typical) without in-trip charging. All for the same weight--the ICE drivetrain plus 50 mile battery probably weighs about the same as a 250 mi battery.
I just don't want another SUV with it's bouncy ride on Houston's potholes. I have a 2020 530e on order, whose 12 KWh battery and 21-24 mile EV range will serve about 90% of my local driving. And I'll have the ICE for inter-city. No data on what the 2021 LCI 5-series PHEV will have for a battery, yet. It's reportedly available with the 745e 6-cyl drivetrain, but if it still has the 12 KWh battery, I won't regret going a year early.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 10:07 AM   #24
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

I'll definitely go for one in future, maybe the iX3 (if it's affordable) but driving either PHEVS or full electric cars (and not wanting to upset our American Friends) won't make much difference unless Mr Trump and other major nations don't commit to carbon emission restrictions for their respective nations.

I suppose every little helps but if major nations don't do their bit for the environment, then it's all in vain I'm afraid.

Greta thunberg will be furious
Appreciate 2
ted99242.00
muzzalad268.50
      11-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #25
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
BMW better bring the fully electric iX3 out before Tesla brings out the Tesla Model Y.

Tesla says they're ahead of schedule, so BMW better get cracking.
Tesla is irrelevant with their shoddy build quality and unstable CEO
Tesla is relevant.

Elon is favored amongst most CEOs.

Regardless of fit and finish Tesla has created a huge domino effect.
I will never buy one because of Elon and I'm far from alone in that regard
Elon will get paid just the same with or without your approval.
I don't really care what he's paid I was simply stating a fact. Tesla fans are like a cult and I avoid that cancer.

That's fine... I have a few friends like you that have endless time to hate on Tesla...

Regards, what Tesla is doing is fantastic, and they've making the entire car industry look really stupid in the process.
I don't hate Tesla per say, only their insane fan base and obsession with Elon
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 09:21 AM   #26
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
That's fine... I have a few friends like you that have endless time to hate on Tesla...

Regards, what Tesla is doing is fantastic, and they've making the entire car industry look really stupid in the process.
Respectfully disagree....Tesla is doing well with sales and the enthusiasm generated while the "first on the block" syndrome persists. They are far from making the existing industry look "stupid" as the large number of product failures, design shortcomings, assembly and component quality lapses became apparent. Some would suggest the opposite. Their own owner body has reported enough problems for Model 3 to lose its recommendation from CR purely based on owner reports...not CR opinions. Model 3, in particular, was a nice try for an amateur, but they will need another product cycle to be a professional OEM. Don't be taken in by sales volume...unless you consider billions of McDonald's served as haute cuisine.

With Ford Mach E, Polestar 2, BMW iX3 and iX4, etc., etc., about to launch, the choices from OEMs who actually have generations of experience designing and building whole vehicles will have a significant impact. Tesla does design high performing, high-efficiency electric powertrains (although we now read about failures with some particular chip writing so much data so often, they are now failing prematurely https://insideevs.com/news/376037/te...-memory-issue/ ), but they also need to learn how to design a competent vehicle around that powertrain.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 11:59 AM   #27
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

Respectfully disagree....Tesla is doing well with sales and the enthusiasm generated while the "first on the block" syndrome persists. They are far from making the existing industry look "stupid" as the large number of product failures, design shortcomings, assembly and component quality lapses became apparent. Some would suggest the opposite. Their own owner body has reported enough problems for Model 3 to lose its recommendation from CR purely based on owner reports...not CR opinions. Model 3, in particular, was a nice try for an amateur, but they will need another product cycle to be a professional OEM. Don't be taken in by sales volume...unless you consider billions of McDonald's served as haute cuisine.

With Ford Mach E, Polestar 2, BMW iX3 and iX4, etc., etc., about to launch, the choices from OEMs who actually have generations of experience designing and building whole vehicles will have a significant impact. Tesla does design high performing, high-efficiency electric powertrains (although we now read about failures with some particular chip writing so much data so often, they are now failing prematurely https://insideevs.com/news/376037/te...-memory-issue/ ), but they also need to learn how to design a competent vehicle around that powertrain.
Please, you are clearly stuck in a reality distortion field.

Let me bring you up to reality... Tesla has two huge advantages over the rest of the slackers in the car industry.

Tesla has the rest of the car industry beat by making their own batteries, and by their worldwide supercharger network.
      11-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #28
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Let me bring you up to reality... Tesla has two huge advantages over the rest of the slackers in the car industry.

Tesla has the rest of the car industry beat by making their own batteries, and by their worldwide supercharger network.
Yes, they have a business plan advantage with batteries. I did not dispute that. But, you don't drive a battery; you drive a complete vehicle. Tesla's shortcoming is designing and building the vehicles surrounding the battery. First to market carries risk, especially for a novice, and it has shown from poor body-in-white design, assembly, interior trim, electronic failures, inability to paint, failure to design adequate interior rear door handles, and now chip failures stranding cars, etc, etc.

So-called slackers are in this for the long run and soon will provide an array of product choices based on far superior overall automotive knowledge and experience. Patience is well-advised for such an investment. Perhaps in 5-10 years, Tesla may figure out the rest of the equation beyond the battery and powertrain. For now, they offer novel, fast, efficient, exciting mediocrity.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Alias1431794.00
      11-06-2019, 01:25 PM   #29
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, they have a business plan advantage with batteries. I did not dispute that. But, you don't drive a battery; you drive a complete vehicle. Tesla's shortcoming is designing and building the vehicles surrounding the battery. First to market carries risk, especially for a novice, and it has shown from poor body-in-white design, assembly, interior trim, electronic failures, inability to paint, failure to design adequate interior rear door handles, and now chip failures stranding cars, etc, etc.

So-called slackers are in this for the long run and soon will provide an array of product choices based on far superior overall automotive knowledge and experience. Patience is well-advised for such an investment. Perhaps in 5-10 years, Tesla may figure out the rest of the equation beyond the battery and powertrain. For now, they offer novel, fast, efficient, exciting mediocrity.
We'll see...

Tesla still has a major advantage in their batteries and supercharger network.

If it wasn't for Tesla, the rest of the car industry wouldn't be doing much of anything.

Now look at them all scrabbling to catch up... They're so far behind it's absolutely ridiculous.
      11-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
We'll see...

If it wasn't for Tesla, the rest of the car industry wouldn't be doing much of anything.

Now look at them all scrabbling to catch up... They're so far behind it's absolutely ridiculous.
You are likely absolutely correct about the stimulating effect Tesla has had, and good for them for doing that. The industry has lots of catching up to do and Tesla has certain structural advantages already in place.

I think our prior conversation was about two different issues...the leading edge strategic move Elon made vs. the rest of the industry following from far behind (your point) and the quality of the first efforts for the as-built vehicles as a whole being understandably low for a first try, although there were several things even a beginner could have done better. (my point).

Depending on your acceptance of the widespread and significant design and quality stumbles they experience, we may have no disagreement at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #31
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
We'll see...

You are likely absolutely correct about the stimulating effect Tesla has had, and good for them for doing that. The industry has lots of catching up to do and Tesla has certain structural advantages already in place.

I think our prior conversation was about two different issues...the leading edge strategic move Elon made vs. the rest of the industry following from far behind (your point) and the quality of the first efforts for the as-built vehicles as a whole being understandably low for a first try, although there were several things even a beginner could have done better. (my point).

Depending on your acceptance of the widespread and significant design and quality stumbles they experience, we may have no disagreement at all.
Agreed.

My wife wants either the Polestar 2 or The Electric XC40.

I'd never except a car with some of the issue Tesla cars currently have.

However once they fix all the little things, they will dominate even more than they currently do.
      11-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #32
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

However once they fix all the little things, they will dominate even more than they currently do.
She's making good choices. I'm looking at iX3, i4, Polestar 2, or even the Mach-E, on the premise that Ford will be throwing everything they have at putting their best foot forward on their first EV. Some of this will depend on timing for next January when my current lease expires.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13119.00
ted99242.00
      11-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #33
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

She's making good choices. I'm looking at iX3, i4, Polestar 2, or even the Mach-E, on the premise that Ford will be throwing everything they have at putting their best foot forward on their first EV. Some of this will depend on timing for next January when my current lease expires.
Saw the Polestar 2 in Seattle a few months back. Scheduled to drive it in January. Polestar 2 and XC40 Recharge have the same power-train. The Polestar 2 has sports suspension w/Olhins adjustable coil overs and Brembo Brakes.

Polestar 2 is the only car close enough under your time restrictions.

Ask for a 3 month lease extension.
      11-06-2019, 10:29 PM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I thought the iX3 was launching before the end of 2020. I think that would still be my first choice, which is why I've been joining in here.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13119.00
      11-07-2019, 12:01 AM   #35
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:

I thought the iX3 was launching before the end of 2020. I think that would still be my first choice, which is why I've been joining in here.
Well definitely stick around.

The Tesla Model Y might also be out around March.

BMW has been slowing the release more than likely to get their battery supply all situated.
      11-08-2019, 06:43 AM   #36
indyrich
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 30i and 2014 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
Is this not really disappointing to anyone else? 55 km? Audi isn't that much ahead with the etron and Mercedes seems lost with another botched car launch at least in the US with the EQC...
Audi eTrons are popping up regularly in my neighborhood and they are full electrics with a 200+ mile range (not Hybrids). BMW's iX3 still seems to be 2 years away. BMW went from a leadership position to back of the pack in my mind. Rather than investing precious time and resources putting M badges on everything they make, they should be all out focusing on meeting the demand for electrics.
Appreciate 3
ted99242.00
MRCUR822.00
      11-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #37
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
I struggle with the reduction in boot capacity that the hybrid drivetrain brings. 450l is less than a 3 series saloon (sedan). I switched up to an X3 for the boot primarily.
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #38
kevlartoronto
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a4 3.2L avant 6spd

more info. 30e will be 4600 USD more than a 30i. https://www.autoblog.com/2019/12/31/...a_cCPtbDcwzwfS
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 12:09 PM   #39
IS350
IS350 to IS-F to M3 and M4
Rep
Drives: 2015 i8

Anyone else going with an X3 or X5 hybrid? I wish the X5 would launch at the same time.
Appreciate 0