BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-04-2019, 08:37 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BMW X3 xDrive30e Launches Q1 2020

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW X3 xDrive30e Launches Q1 2020
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(8).jpg
Views: 7365
Size:  1.54 MB

Cutting-edge battery cell technology enables local emissions-free driving with a range of up to 55 kilometres* – Globally popular BMW X3 model in the premium mid-range will in future be available with conventional combustion engine, plug-in hybrid system and purely electric drive.

• The following global release does not contain U.S. specific market information.
• U.S. X3 xDrive30e specifications and pricing will be released Q1 2020.
• Market launch is scheduled for Q1 2020.
• The estimated U.S. electric-only range is expected to be close to 20 miles.
• The U.S. model is SULEV-rated to allow for, pending approval, HOV lane use in certain states.

Munich, Germany- November 04, 2019... The unique combination of intelligent all-wheel drive BMW xDrive and cutting-edge BMW eDrive technology makes for sustainable driving pleasure in another BMW model. The new BMW X3 xDrive30e is already the third Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) in the brand's current model range to feature a plug-in hybrid drive and power transmission to all four wheels, offering exciting versatility and a purely electric driving experience as well as outstandingly low fuel consumption and emissions. Together, the 4-cylinder combustion engine and the electric motor of the plug-in hybrid model generate a maximum system output of 215 kW/292 hp. The unique combination of the intelligent 4-wheel drive system BMW xDrive and state-of-the-art BMW eDrive technology reduces average fuel consumption to levels between 2.4 and 2.1 litres per 100 kilometres*. The relevant CO2 emissions amount to 54 to 49 grams per kilometre*. The combined power consumption of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is between 17.2 and 16.4 kWh per 100 kilometres*. Its lithium-ion high-voltage battery equipped with the very latest battery cell technology enables purely electric mobility with a range of 51 to 55 kilometres*.

The new BMW X3 xDrive30e will be produced from December 2019 onwards at the BMW plant in Spartanburg, USA – alongside the conventionally powered model variants of the BMW X3. The worldwide market launch is due to start in spring 2020. In this way, the BMW Group is consistently pursuing not only the electrification of its drive portfolio but also a product strategy geared towards the diverse needs of its customers. The globally popular SAV model in the premium mid-range segment is the first model of the brand to be offered with both a conventional combustion engine and a plug-in hybrid system – with a purely electrically powered model variant due to be added during the course 2020.

Sports Activity Vehicle with agile handling, superior off-road performance and outstanding efficiency.
The new BMW X3 xDrive30e combines the typical qualities of a Sports Activity Vehicle with particularly efficient drive technology. The plug-in hybrid model is
likewise characterised by agile handling and sporty driving characteristics, robust versatility, a versatile interior, premium quality and advanced connectivity. Its BMW xDrive system permanently distributes the drive torque between the front and rear wheels as required – even when driving purely on electric power – so as to ensure sporty driving characteristics on the road and superior off-road performance over unsurfaced terrain. The drive power is generated by a 2.0-litre, 135 kW/184 hp 4-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and an electric motor integrated into the 8-speed Steptronic transmission with an output of 80 kW/109 hp. Together the two drive units mobilise a system output of 215 kW/292 hp. The maximum system torque of the plug-in hybrid drive is 420 Nm. This allows the new BMW X3 xDrive30e to accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in 6.1 seconds. Its top speed is 210 km/h.

Depending on the operating mode and the situation on the road, the electric motor of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e can be used either for purely electric mobility or to support the combustion engine. In MAX eDrive mode, which can be activated via the eDrive button on the centre console, the new BMW X3 xDrive30e achieves a top speed of 135 km/h with a locally emissions-free and virtually silent drive unit. In the standard Auto eDrive setting, purely electric driving is possible at speeds of up to 110 km/h. The combustion engine only switches on at higher speeds or when there are particularly high load requirements. When both drive units are active, the efficiency of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is optimised, as is its sprint capacity. When accelerating, the spontaneous power development of the electric motor is clearly noticeable, while at constant speeds its electric assist reduces fuel consumption and emissions. The support of the electric motor ensures that the combustion engine can run within an efficiencyoptimised load range as often as possible. The likewise available BATTERY CONTROL setting serves to keep the charge state of the high-voltage battery at a level determined by the driver. In this way, the power supply can be specifically reserved and used for local emissions-free driving on urban stretches of road during a lengthier trip.

High-voltage battery based on the very latest battery cell technology for maximum efficiency; large, variable luggage compartment.
The lithium-ion battery of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is located in a spacesaving position underneath the rear seat, while the fuel tank is positioned above the rear axle. This means that the transport capacity of the plug-in hybrid model is only slightly restricted. At 450 litres, the luggage compartment volume of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is on a par with those models which have a conventional engine. By folding down the rear seat with 40 : 20: 40 split, the storage space can be extended to up to 1 500 litres. Thanks to cutting-edge battery cell technology and a gross energy content of 12.0 kWh, the high-voltage battery contributes both to the outstanding efficiency and the excellent electrical range of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e. As a result, the plug-in hybrid model can be used for a great deal of day-to-day travel without locally produced emissions – even beyond the city.

The high-voltage battery can be charged at conventional household sockets using the standard-equipment charging cable. In this way, the battery can be fully charged in less than six hours. At a BMW i Wallbox, the same charging process can be completed in around three and a half hours. The charging socket is located under a separate flap on the front left side wall of the car. The electrical energy stored in the high-voltage battery is also used to supply the 12-volt vehicle electrical system.

Electric licence plate and tax benefit thanks to the considerable electrical range.
Thanks to its high electrical range the new BMW X3 xDrive30e fulfils the criteria laid down in the German Electric Mobility Act – depending on fittings – for classification as an e-vehicle, complete with special rights on public roads. It is also subject to reduced company car taxation in Germany. Only half the gross list price is used as a basis when calculating the monetary benefit from private use of the company car.

As an alternative to the basic version, the new BMW X3 xDrive 30e also comes in the model variants Advantage, xLine, Luxury and M Sport. Its standard equipment includes acoustic pedestrian protection. When driving electrically at low speeds, an unmistakeable sound designed specifically for electrified BMW models is generated to alert other road users to the approaching car without impairing the acoustic comfort of the vehicle occupants. In addition, the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is equipped with an auxiliary air conditioning system as standard. It can also be controlled remotely from a smartphone using the BMW Connected App: the driver can therefore get into a warm vehicle in winter and a pleasantly cool vehicle in summer. New digital services help make it more attractive and convenient to charge the high-voltage battery when out and about. The digital services support the driver in searching for and selecting public charging stations, enable the charging process to be controlled via remote functions and transmit information relating to charge status, electrical and combined range and individual energy consumption to the driver’s smartphone or other personal devices.

In addition, almost the entire range of optional equipment available for the conventionally powered versions of the BMW X3 is also available for the plug-in hybrid model – thereby increasing driving pleasure, comfort and individual style. This range includes an Adaptive Suspension, a Variable Sports Steering and a M Sport Brake System, the BMW Head-Up Display, Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go function, Driving Assistant Plus with steering and lane guidance assistant and also Parking Assistant Plus. Another feature included in this range of extras is a tow hitch that can be electrically swivelled out and in. The maximum towing capacity of the new BMW X3 xDrive30e is 2,000 kilograms.

Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(3).jpg
Views: 7423
Size:  2.34 MB

Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(2).jpg
Views: 7117
Size:  2.01 MB

Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(5).jpg
Views: 6282
Size:  863.8 KB

Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(7).jpg
Views: 6399
Size:  1.06 MB

Name:  PHEV_Battery_Assembly_BMW_Plant_Spartanburg.jpg
Views: 4861
Size:  990.8 KB

Name:  BMW_X3_xDrive30e_European_model_shown_(6).jpg
Views: 5462
Size:  337.8 KB

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 1
JustChris17423.00
      11-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Eric500
um...
Rep
Drives: LC500

Is this not really disappointing to anyone else? 55 km? Audi isn't that much ahead with the etron and Mercedes seems lost with another botched car launch at least in the US with the EQC...
      11-04-2019, 10:07 AM   #3
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
BMW better bring the fully electric iX3 out before Tesla brings out the Tesla Model Y.

Tesla says they're ahead of schedule, so BMW better get cracking.
      11-04-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
prolix21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
our X3 is still on order and part of me is like "ugh, should have waited" but then after reading the specs I think everyone needs a few more years to sort this stuff out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
Is this not really disappointing to anyone else? 55 km? Audi isn't that much ahead with the etron and Mercedes seems lost with another botched car launch at least in the US with the EQC...
X5 45e does almost twice this if its range you want. To me these are ahead of the competition on PHEV range.
      11-04-2019, 10:20 AM   #6
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
BMW better bring the fully electric iX3 out before Tesla brings out the Tesla Model Y.

Tesla is irrelevant with their shoddy build quality and unstable CEO
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
sahajesh2290.00
drexplode1762.00
      11-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #7
TXSchnee
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tsang View Post
X5 45e does almost twice this if its range you want. To me these are ahead of the competition on PHEV range.
Eh, I am ordering a Cayenne E Hybrid and they have 25 miles of range. It is not a lot bigger than my X3 and is way heavier. Seems as though BMW could have done a slightly larger battery pack for more range.
2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i (sold)
2015 BMW X3 xDrive28i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 12:15 PM   #8
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
Quote:

Tesla is relevant.

Elon is favored amongst most CEOs.

Regardless of fit and finish Tesla has created a huge domino effect.
      11-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #9
selaing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1

Sorry to say this, but wonder if the new Audi Q5 plug in on the USA site will have more miles.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:

BMW is not ahead like Tesla, they are late and IX3 is delayed, heard April, but it might float furter. On a positive note, I'm hearing suprising decent prices though, like the Mini EV
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      11-04-2019, 01:44 PM   #11
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Quote:

BMW is not ahead like Tesla, they are late and IX3 is delayed, heard April, but it might float furter. On a positive note, I'm hearing suprising decent prices though, like the Mini EV
And the Tesla supercharge charging network dominates.

I wonder who's going to eventually buy out Tesla.

Mercedes would be my pick if I had to guess.
      11-04-2019, 03:49 PM   #12
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
And the Tesla supercharge charging network dominates.

I wonder who's going to eventually buy out Tesla.

Mercedes would be my pick if I had to guess.
Hopefully Tesla can live on its own terms, they have done what iPhone did to the mobile industry back in 2007, now look at it.
Nothing will be the same - the Porsche Taycan, Germans "finest" is not even up To Tesla standard or tech, and they had plenty of time/resources to do something about it.
Der spigel used about the same words Elop said to Nokia back in 2010 (burning platform) addressing the German can industry, they've dropped the ball.
Seeing how the Germans are using usual ICE platform converted to EV is just embarrassing, they need to have higher ambitions than cost saving at this stage, or they will continue to loose even more.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
This. X5 45e seems have the right specs - 6 cylinder gas engine with a pretty good PHEV range.
Appreciate 3
JustChris17423.00
ted99242.00
      11-04-2019, 06:09 PM   #14
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tesla is relevant.

I will never buy one because of Elon and I'm far from alone in that regard
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #15
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tesla is relevant.

Elon will get paid just the same with or without your approval.
      11-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #16
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tesla is relevant.

I don't really care what he's paid I was simply stating a fact. Tesla fans are like a cult and I avoid that cancer.
Appreciate 2
JustChris17423.00
      11-04-2019, 08:25 PM   #17
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tesla is relevant.

I don't really care what he's paid I was simply stating a fact. Tesla fans are like a cult and I avoid that cancer.

That's fine... I have a few friends like you that have endless time to hate on Tesla...

Regards, what Tesla is doing is fantastic, and they've making the entire car industry look really stupid in the process.
      11-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #18
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
That's fine... I have a few friends like you that have endless time to hate on Tesla...

Regards, what Tesla is doing is fantastic, and they've making the entire car industry look really stupid in the process.
Soon Tesla will launch the CyberTruck, 450-500 mile range, faster than a 911 and $50K starting, nicely equipped about $69k...this is really going to make a lot of manufacturers' look foolish.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-04-2019, 10:05 PM   #19
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
Quote:

Soon Tesla will launch the CyberTruck, 450-500 mile range, faster than a 911 and $50K starting, nicely equipped about $69k...this is really going to make a lot of manufacturers' look foolish.
That's this month.

I cannot wait.

11-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #20
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

Quote:
That's this month.

I cannot wait.

Rumor has it Elon might launch it during the LA Auto Show, not at the show but to upstage the event. That guy is brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 11:24 PM   #21
///M TOWN
Rep

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContactPatch View Post
Quote:
That's this month.

I cannot wait.

Rumor has it Elon might launch it during the LA Auto Show, not at the show but to upstage the event. That guy is brilliant.
That would be very interesting.

Considering how boring the LA Auto show generally is.
      11-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #22
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by selaing View Post
Sorry to say this, but wonder if the new Audi Q5 plug in on the USA site will have more miles.
Q5 PHEV is reported to have a 14.1 KWh battery, compared to the 12 KWh of the X3 30e. That's 18% larger, but one doesn't know the Audi (or BMW) driveline efficiency or what the Audi strategy for battery charge/discharge will be. eTron reportedly reserves some capacity for battery longevity. So, one needs to wait and see. But, on the face of it, the Audi could have a few extra miles.
Appreciate 0