BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Closed Thread

02-26-2020, 03:44 PM   #45
Poodle
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Coupe, 2019 X5

Interesting info about the new aerodynamic wheels from the media:

cast aluminum wheels with inserts consisting of a plastic carrier and an aluminum visible surface
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 04:04 PM   #46
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Hydrogen seems like a likely solution. Lithium is like oil. Will eventually run out
Lithium doesn't just get used up, though. They can rip open old car batteries and run them through the same process they do to purify lithium when mining and create fresh batteries. It's a lot easier to reclaim as well since the cars are eventually traded in or worked on, there can be a market for old batteries.
No doubt, however from my limited research so far, not only is recycling/reusing lithium a tedious and costly process, there are limited facilities in place today. Sure, maybe that infrastructure will grow in time, like charging stations, but that's going to have happen quickly IMO to make electric a 100% viable & permanent "propellant"
Yes, that's possible. My interpretation was that the used lithium could just be dumped into the existing pipeline that processes mined lithium, with some minor adjustments, but perhaps that's not sufficient.
Definitely a fair assumption. As I said, my "research" is limited and I am definitely not a subject matter expert in the world of recycled rare earth products.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2020, 04:12 AM   #47
matbl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
I disagree, and with the instant power from an EV, that goes double. Besides, i'm from Norway, we need the AWD thingy
Nah. I previously owned a RWD Tesla, got the power into the ground nicely and it had a lot more power/torque than this iX3...

Well, if you do true off-road driving then sure. For everything else, 2WD (rear or front) is enough.
I went skiing in the swedish mountains last week and drove there (and around) with my RWD 5-series. worked perfectly fine...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:26 AM   #48
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Quote:
I disagree, and with the instant power from an EV, that goes double. Besides, i'm from Norway, we need the AWD thingy
Nah. I previously owned a RWD Tesla, got the power into the ground nicely and it had a lot more power/torque than this iX3...

Well, if you do true off-road driving then sure. For everything else, 2WD (rear or front) is enough.
I went skiing in the swedish mountains last week and drove there (and around) with my RWD 5-series. worked perfectly fine...
The fact of the matter is people perceive a need for AWD; and perception is often more powerful than reality.
      02-27-2020, 08:09 AM   #49
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by matbl View Post
Quote:

The fact of the matter is people perceive a need for AWD; and perception is often more powerful than reality.
This.

We don't represent the general public. And the GP thinks like this. Jane Doe is shopping for a new crossover and wants a RAV4, she requires AWD because she believes it is safer and gives her the piece of mind that all wheels will be active when in reality she has no idea that most of the time, it will be running through FWD and that snow tires will provide better traction. Its not about necessity, however, its a preference and idea of piece of mind that AWD gives.

AWD is also likely one of the reasons for the crossoverpocolypse, since outside of Subaru, many sedans weren't and still aren't available with AWD, so a RWD only iX3, will not be appealing to most of the GP outside of maybe California.

How many sDrive 30i's does BMW sell compared to xDrive?
      03-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #50
NorthBuddy
Rep
Drives: BMW

The iX3 will not come to the US.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701904
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread