BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
Johnno_Evo
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 M Sport

X3 Dealer Problems - Newbie

Hey guys,

First post on here but was reccomended to ask on this forum.

Have a few problems with my 2006 X3.

It's on 25k, already has a new rear diff fitted under warranty last month. Driving the other day and there is clunking coming from the centre car area. (Transfer box)

Booked in for warranty etc all good.

Had a call today about the car, they are saying yes its the transfer box making the noise, BUT the reason for this is that the front tires have uneven wear. Now has anyone come across this? or is there any known faults on the transfer boxe's on x3's?

I know for certain that tires cannot effect the being of the transfer box, I have been re-building transmissions on trucks for years, also had my evo transmission out many times. I'm sick of dealers thinking they can ring me up saying its the tires, then ask for £600 for two tires and then the problem will still be there.

Anyone know the next step? or anyone had this problem before?

Many thanks, Oh and hello

John
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
johndeeveer
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 2007 black full option

Garage List
mmmm, sounds like they want to grab your ankles in the hope you drop some cash out of your pockets....
maybe give a ring to BMW UK:

information on the networks of the BMW Service Centers
Tel.: 0800-325 600
Tel.: +44-870-505 01 60
Mo.-Su. 24 h
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 05:37 AM   #3
Hoady02
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: F07 535i GT

The transfer box contains a specific transmission fluid which is NOT a lifetime fluid (if there ever was such a thing). In reality it needs changing every 70,000 KMS but no where on any service requirements is it ever mentioned. No surprise then that in conditions where the transfer box is working hard (think snow, ice and regular rainfall) it's propensity to fail is going to be much higher.

The fluid itself can only be sourced from BMW (Part Number 83220397244) but the Transfer Boxes are very expensive items. Prevention as always is better than cure. If you car is anywhere near 40,00 Miles or areound 70,000 Kms have the fluid changed and at the same time have the fluid in both diffs changed as well. Cheap insurance.

The assertion that this is linked to the tyres is both creative and amusing but wrong. Cheap and nasty tyres will have an effect on the car's driveability but this usually is reflected in poor handling etc, not on the transfer box.

Sounds like the dealer is trying to spread the responsibility a bit... Perhaps a few good Anglo Saxon superlatives might help. Start off with "Bollocks" or maybe "Cobblers".

Good Luck,

Geoff
Appreciate 0