BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2019, 06:34 PM   #1
SmallDave
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i Sport Package

Looseness/Front Rattle from Sway Bar Link

Since I bought my car a few weeks ago, I noticed a slight rattle from the front left and symptoms consistent with a bad sway bar link. As it began to get worse (I live on a dirt road), I decided to order the sway bar links and get the job done.

Tonight, I swapped them both in about an hour. I had a little trouble getting the new ones tightened up with a difficult angle on the top connection. Taking it for a little test drive, I noticed the sound on the left was gone but there was a sound from the right significantly worse than what I was experiencing before

So after a little help diagnosis with my dad, we found the top clip that goes over the stud and under the nut that holds the brake line and something else was not quite in position making an awful rattle over any bumps. After re-positioning and re-tightening, it appears the sound is gone.

Perhaps the initial sound was a rattle from the left brake support to begin with?

Anyways, I just wanted to share my discovery in case similar symptoms arise for anyone else, however, I assume, once installed correctly, this issue shouldn't arise.
Appreciate 0