BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-21-2019, 12:07 PM   #45
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

I went from F80 to a Cayenne GTS and am happy with the decision but the X3M looks to be a real beast and I'm sure will satisfy many M3/M4 owners looking for increased utility with their fun.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:13 PM   #46
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I went from F80 to a Cayenne GTS and am happy with the decision but the X3M looks to be a real beast and I'm sure will satisfy may M3/M4 owners lookin for increased utility with their fun.
And these x3m owners will want to get back into a m3 by the time the lease is up and the new m3 is released. Brilliant marketing by bmw really
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:20 PM   #47
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkfastwagon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Quote:
I have e92 m3 and e84 x1(35) as my dd. My wife drives x3 m40i which is also our family car. I have entertained the thought of consolidating those 3 into x3m in the future. I am skeptical though. M40i is stupid fast for a suv and handles pretty well but I still find my old x1 more fun. The size and the lack of road feel make x3 feel less involving. It's a great car but not what I would take out just to drive. Will the full m treatment change this? Perhaps. But I think I will stick with my current combo.
Full m treatment should change it. That's the biggest complaint I had with the F39 that I don't have with the F80. It's crazy to think how much an M feels different when in and driving than a regular version of the same model.
I think in theory "do it all" cars like x3m make lot of sense. The reality however is not as appealing. it means using this $80k m car in situations far less than ideal. It will have to function as a bad weather/ winter beater (why would you get an suv other wise). Eventually you will want to get a cheap winter beater for your mental wellbeing. Then you'll think to yourself "why don't I get a more dedicated sportscar like m3 now that I have a winter beater?" You trade x3m for m3 and the cycle goes on. Just my two cents
There is other reasons for an SUV than a "weather / winter beater". Plus I don't live anywhere where there is winter. So I don't agree with your post, but it's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.

X3M will not be anywhere near as limiting as my F80.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:37 PM   #48
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have e92 m3 and e84 x1(35) as my dd. My wife drives x3 m40i which is also our family car. I have entertained the thought of consolidating those 3 into x3m in the future. I am skeptical though. M40i is stupid fast for a suv and handles pretty well but I still find my old x1 more fun. The size and the lack of road feel make x3 feel less involving. It's a great car but not what I would take out just to drive. Will the full m treatment change this? Perhaps. But I think I will stick with my current combo.
Full m treatment should change it. That's the biggest complaint I had with the F39 that I don't have with the F80. It's crazy to think how much an M feels different when in and driving than a regular version of the same model.
I think in theory "do it all" cars like x3m make lot of sense. The reality however is not as appealing. it means using this $80k m car in situations far less than ideal. It will have to function as a bad weather/ winter beater (why would you get an suv other wise). Eventually you will want to get a cheap winter beater for your mental wellbeing. Then you'll think to yourself "why don't I get a more dedicated sportscar like m3 now that I have a winter beater?" You trade x3m for m3 and the cycle goes on. Just my two cents
There is other reasons for an SUV than a "weather / winter beater". So I don't agree with your post, but it's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.
I guess if you don't mind the extra wear and tear from whatever activity suv's supposed to be better at - could be offroading or picking up in laws from airport- these do it all cars make sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 12:59 PM   #49
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There is other reasons for an SUV than a "weather / winter beater". So I don't agree with your post, but it's your opinion and nothing wrong with that.
I guess if you don't mind the extra wear and tear from whatever activity suv's supposed to be better at - could be offroading or picking up in laws from airport- these do it all cars make sense.
Nothing a ceramic coating and xpel wrap can't fix. What's the point of having cars if you care about wear and tear so much? And, again, going off road and picking up in laws are not the only two (in addition to your other reason) one needs an SUV.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Max Well4690.50
      02-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #50
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Nothing a ceramic coating and xpel wrap can't fix. What's the point of having cars if you care about wear and tear so much? And, again, going off road and picking up in laws are not the only two (in addition to your other reason) one needs an SUV.
Just to be clear, I have nothing against Suv's. In fact we have 2 (x1 and x3)! They are great at what they do and I have hard time justifying putting a stiffer suspension and lowering them for better handling. But I have no doubt x3m will be great and will defy logic and physics. Congrats in advance if you're getting one.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      02-21-2019, 01:35 PM   #51
BCMgunner
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 - MG, DCT, Steel Brakes

Quote:

The cycles is real: my progression

09’ H3 (beater) + 15’ M4 (fun) -> 16’ G63 (do it all) -> 17’ ZR2 (beater) + 18’ Manual GT3 (fun)

Now I want a “fun daily” which is different than a “beater” and different than a “fun” car. X3M vs M3 is the junction I’m at.. and for good reason. The X3M was an unexpected interesting proposition for many of us!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #52
bkfastwagon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCMgunner View Post
Quote:

The cycles is real: my progression

09’ H3 (beater) + 15’ M4 (fun) -> 16’ G63 (do it all) -> 17’ ZR2 (beater) + 18’ Manual GT3 (fun)

Now I want a “fun daily” which is different than a “beater” and different than a “fun” car. X3M vs M3 is the junction I’m at.. and for good reason. The X3M was an unexpected interesting proposition for many of us!
You are right that x3m is right at the borderline of fun and practical. Which is why I think it will steal away customers from Audi. People who wanted slightly softer and awd version of m3 can now choose x3m instead of say RS5 SB. The new m3 will have optional awd which is worrisome for audi.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 01:57 PM   #53
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
...What's the point of having cars if you care about wear and tear so much? And, again, going off road and picking up in laws are not the only two (in addition to your other reason) one needs an SUV.
Agree - our G01s don't get spoiled although we try to keep them clean and maintained. We bought them for their flexibility, comfort and performance regardless of the planned activity and they get used for sure. But a quick wash and they're ready to head to the resort. This was the last load of mulch for that morning so only loaded with 14 bags - usually run 16-17 no problems. And the X3M Comp will only add icing to this cake.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Thescout134944.00
kozzi927.00
ando1954.50
      02-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #54
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
...What's the point of having cars if you care about wear and tear so much? And, again, going off road and picking up in laws are not the only two (in addition to your other reason) one needs an SUV.
Agree - our G01s don't get spoiled although we try to keep them clean and maintained. We bought them for their flexibility, comfort and performance regardless of the planned activity and they get used for sure. But a quick wash and they're ready to head to the resort. This was the last load of mulch for that morning so only loaded with 14 bags - usually run 16-17 no problems. And the X3M Comp will only add icing to this cake.
I can't wait for 500 hp mulch runs!

No, seriously!
Appreciate 3
kozzi927.00
Max Well4690.50
      03-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #55
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Macan has suffered from heavy weight (4400-4600 lbs) with not enough power even in Turbo guise. It handles well for what it is but is expensive, poor passenger/cargo space, and it's quick but won't get your blood pumping. I'm hoping X3M solves these issues while maintaining agility that can match the Macan. Probably better dynamics (ie: lag)with the S58 as well.
Macan weight is 4250
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #56
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I was going by specs when it launched which had it heavier than Q5 but I guess that's been corrected.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #57
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdw View Post
The materials in my M3 do not match the luxury and features of my X5M which was fine with me since I bought it strictly for the performance and drive. It's also cheaper than my X5M so it's to be expected. I have the X5M also for performance but want the luxury as well since it's our main vehicle and the one we use for longer trips. I don't think the X3M will match the X5M interior level since it's based on the X3 (vs X5) but I am hoping it's nice enough. For example, I am hoping the X3M has ventilated front M sport seats like the X5M (not an option in the M3/M4 line). I know the X3 now has a ventilated seat option but it's not a sport seat.
I really doubt the X3M will have ventilated seats. But I would prefer to be wrong on this.
Beware the ventilated seats! I got those in our M 40i and regret it dearly. It's like sitting on a park bench; no side support!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:14 PM   #58
Barathon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by floating.spirit View Post
Beware the ventilated seats! I got those in our M 40i and regret it dearly. It's like sitting on a park bench; no side support!
On the X3/4 M40i, ventilated seats replaces the entire seat. On the X3/4M it isn't supposed to change the seat out, just add the feature.

Per M40i order guide;
4FH Front ventilated seats
-4FH will delete STD 100% equipment 481
-481 Sport Seats
-4FH requires ordering …(1 of 3 vernasca leather options)

Per M order guide;
-4FH requires ordering …(Extended leather interiors)
There is no mention of 4FH deleting 481 (sport seats) or 712 (M Sport Seats)

Last edited by Barathon; 04-22-2019 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:27 PM   #59
atomicdoc
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 Vert ZCP,

Trading in my M4Vert for an X3M this Fall

Then back to the new M4 In 2021 !!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:37 AM   #60
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barathon View Post
On the X3/4 M40i, ventilated seats replaces the entire seat. On the X3/4M it isn't supposed to change the seat out, just add the feature.

Per M40i order guide;
-4FH will delete STD 100% equipment 481
-481 Sport Seats
-4FH requires ordering …(1 of 3 vernasca leather options)

Per M order guide;
-4FH requires ordering …(Extended leather interiors)
There is no mention of 4FH deleting 481 (sport seats) or 712 (M Sport Seats)
the M sport seats ventilated are similar to those found in the M5 F90. Just with less adjustable settings. I found those seats to be comfy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 03:04 PM   #61
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicdoc View Post

Wow, where do you burn your money? I'd love to swing by sometime!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 05:19 AM   #62
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

im with you... i have an F25 Xline and had (just sold) an F80 M3... i am hoping to combine the best of both worlds...

The X3 is rock solid in reliability but the M3 was a POS in my opinion... too many headaches and problems starting with BMW AG not standing the behind the products they sold...

You may ask why again if the m3 was so bad.. well im hoping that it will be as good as the X3 but time will tell...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #63
MSport_Jon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 LCI /// F80 M3 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureModelsOnly View Post
What was wrong with your M3. My F80 has had zero issues at 20k miles. My X3 only has 9k miles and has already needed it's stupid active grill shutters replaced and the dash rattles like crazy.
This car was built for me... it was not a dealer inventory car. From day 0 it had vibration issues which BMW worsen the more i took it to the dealer to get that fixed. After my first year of ownership i totally lost confidence in the product. It had phantom issues (false positives) that the dealer could not fix and short from calling me crazy they blamed it to the fact it was an M model... talk about some BS.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 01:31 AM   #64
LukeM15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 G80 Comp Xdrive

On the list. My M3 lease ends Jan 2020....so by December I should be making the transition
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #65
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
And these x3m owners will want to get back into a m3 by the time the lease is up and the new m3 is released. Brilliant marketing by bmw really
Don't know about that. Once most people get used to having an SUV, they don't go back to a sedan/coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 10:38 PM   #66
floating.spirit
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3MC  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicdoc View Post

Wow, where do you burn your money? I'd love to swing by sometime!
Appreciate 0