BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-19-2019, 05:21 PM   #1
RazorX3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI + BMW G01 2019

High Beam Assist not working?

Hi guys!
Just got my X3 this week.
One of the options I wanted to test is the Adaptive headlights (I ordered the High beam assist option), however I can't seem to get it to work properly...
The beams do not turn on/off automatically with this option enabled (tried different traffic scenarios), also when high beams are on the car doesn't block the light selectively for incoming cars (dazzle-free assistance)...
However the lights do swivel when cornering or turning the steering wheel.

This is what I do to enable the high beam assistant:
I turn the headlights knob to Auto and press the High beam assist button on the left lever, the indicator of low-beams with letter A appear on the instrument.

Any help?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

That is how you turn them on, so that's correct.

I don't think the X3's come with the dazzle-free assistance, they just turn on or off when there is an oncoming car or one sensed in the distance from behind. When trying mine out, they seem to work very well, with the exception of long tight corners (had to intervene on a drive down the canyon the other night), so if yours don't seem to be shutting off properly, check their sensitivity levels (you can adjust that - see the manual) and if that doesn't work, I'd check with service.
      08-19-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Crypto2k3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 m40i

I tried mine tonight and it works doing what you described to enable it. Turns on when dark and off when a car is approaching. A big green light symbol shows up at the top of the dash when it's enabled. I have a 2019 X3 m40i.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:13 AM   #4
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorX3 View Post
Hi guys!
Just got my X3 this week.
One of the options I wanted to test is the Adaptive headlights (I ordered the High beam assist option), however I can't seem to get it to work properly...
The beams do not turn on/off automatically with this option enabled (tried different traffic scenarios), also when high beams are on the car doesn't block the light selectively for incoming cars (dazzle-free assistance)...
However the lights do swivel when cornering or turning the steering wheel.

This is what I do to enable the high beam assistant:
I turn the headlights knob to Auto and press the High beam assist button on the left lever, the indicator of low-beams with letter A appear on the instrument.

Any help?
In the US, we have to code to turn on the anti-dazzle -- do you know if you have anti-dazzle activated, or would you have to code them on also ?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:21 AM   #5
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

he probably does have anti dazzle as he is in Tunisia and they don't have the restrictive technology fearful laws the US has. it is much more subtle when the anti dazzle raises and lowers the headlights....or opens and closes tunnels of light.
Appreciate 1
VMMVMMM122.00
      08-20-2019, 08:23 AM   #6
RazorX3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI + BMW G01 2019

Yes I'm pretty sure I have the Anti dazzle, I can find it in the manual specific to my car (manual app) and in the car's onboard manual (which is also specific to the car).
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
he probably does have anti dazzle as he is in Tunisia and they don't have the restrictive technology fearful laws the US has. it is much more subtle when the anti dazzle raises and lowers the headlights....or opens and closes tunnels of light.
Ah, that is something I didn't know. It would be nice to code that into my car if it's available...
      08-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #8
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
Ah, that is something I didn't know. It would be nice to code that into my car if it's available...
These guys did mine (if you don't want to do it yourself)...

https://www.codemybimmer.ca/g-chassi...v=7516fd43adaa
Appreciate 1
VMMVMMM122.00