BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #221
garyk227
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Not the case. I have a Corvette Stingray, and had a Caddy XTS, both of which have HUDs that are fully visible with polarized glasses (Maui Jims for example). The Stingray has the latest iteration and it is very bright (adjustable) even in full sun light, with polarized sun glasses on.

The BMW is middle of the road on visibility of the HUD with polarized sun glasses on IMO, and Volvo's latest versions (at least on the XC90 and XC60) are not visible at all with polarized sun glasses on.

It is interesting that BMW added the ability to rotate the HUD image slightly on its horizontal axis (GMs does not have this capability). Perhaps this was an attempt to provide micro adjustments that might improve the legibility. You might want to experiment with that and see if it helps.
That depends upon the axis of the polarized lenses in relation to the HUD.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 08:26 PM   #222
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk227 View Post
There is a setting for this? How?
My Vehicle --> Vehicle Settings --> Steering Wheel Vibration
      07-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #223
Jen4BMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 X3 M40i

I've only had my 2019 X3 xDrive30i for about a month and I do love the performance and handling but I also have some pet peeves:
1. The radio staying on after the car is shut off
2. Intermittent pano roof rattle
3. The hit or miss kick to open tail gate (will require service as it's definitely not my kicking style)
4. The fan speed doesn't auto adjust itself when on auto mode (my single biggest pet peeve)
5. The drivers door rarely wants to stay open unless I push it all the way out which requires leaning way out of the vehicle
6. The rear passenger doors don't unlock when the vehicle is shut off in spite off being set too in My Settings
7. The rear hatch doesn't always want to open under power requiring a manual opening
8. Excessive wind noise
9. Only 1 USB
10. Rear center console charging port not working (will require service trip)
11. XLINE sensatec seats are uncomfortable and hot on road trips over 90 minutes
12. Standard radio is very ho hum for a $50K luxury vehicle

Likes: Engine, handling, transmission, gas mileage, interior space and design
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #224
BatMeoW
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen4BMW View Post
9. Only 1 USB
There are 2 USBs - one at the front of cup-holders (along side wireless charger) and another in the center armrest. + I also got a BMW branded adapter for cigarette lighter to 2 USB ports (though I have never used that).
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:58 AM   #225
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatMeoW View Post
There are 2 USBs - one at the front of cup-holders (along side wireless charger) and another in the center armrest. + I also got a BMW branded adapter for cigarette lighter to 2 USB ports (though I have never used that).
I believe only when you have opted for Wireless Charge option..
      08-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #226
garyk227
Rep

Quote:
I've only had my 2019 X3 xDrive30i for about a month and I do love the performance and handling but I also have some pet peeves:
3. The hit or miss kick to open tail gate (will require service as it's definitely not my kicking style)
4. The fan speed doesn't auto adjust itself when on auto mode (my single biggest pet peeve)
5. The drivers door rarely wants to stay open unless I push it all the way out which requires leaning way out of the vehicle
6. The rear passenger doors don't unlock when the vehicle is shut off in spite off being set too in My Settings
7. The rear hatch doesn't always want to open under power requiring a manual opening
8. Excessive wind noise
9. Only 1 USB
11. XLINE sensatec seats are uncomfortable and hot on road trips over 90 minutes

1 - Goes off as soon as you lock it
3 - I'm not familiar with this - do all X3 have it? Mine is a 2017 model
4 - Agree
5 - Agree
9 - Agree but easily dealt with through adapters

Gary
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #227
garyk227
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchd View Post
I don't see that option on my 2017 model.

Gary
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #228
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk227 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchd View Post
I don't see that option on my 2017 model.

Gary
Can be, because this thread is for G01 X3, which are build from 2018
      08-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #229
gugin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Can be, because this thread is for G01 X3, which are build from 2018
Also, isn't the vibrating steering wheel part of the Driver Assistance Package? If the car lacks that package, there will be no Steering Wheel Vibration setting in the iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #230
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

#4: It does adjust some, just remember that the fan speed you select while in auto is the maximum speed.
Appreciate 3
VMMVMMM122.00
Fuzz3D17.00
      08-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #231
vpatel867
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 F10, 19 xm40i, 24 x7

Garage List
  [10.00]
My f10 535 has better sound. I need to tweak my TUNE setting in my m40i.
      08-20-2019, 11:14 AM   #232
VMMVMMM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
#4: It does adjust some, just remember that the fan speed you select while in auto is the maximum speed.
This little tidbit made a huge difference for me yesterday in 97 degree F heat!
      08-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #233
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
This little tidbit made a huge difference for me yesterday in 97 degree F heat!
Haha, happy to be giving back a modicum of help after all the information I've consumed from this forum.
Appreciate 1
VMMVMMM122.00
      12-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #234
teeebone
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Just picked up my 2020 X3 couple weeks ago. Love the way the car drives and looks interior and exterior. Hate:

The number of software issues I am having and the lack of response as to how long they have been out there and estimated ETA.

Digital speedometer resets to km every time I turn off car - need to reset to mph every time in ("known software issue").

Idrive display dims around 50% on overcast days. Side by side with another 2020 the other one perfect mine horrible. Answer was "We think because you car was just produced in Nov. that you have already gotten the new software for the backup camera recall and this is a result of the recall's new software"

Cannot use Car Play/Waze because half of the time at every voice command it cuts off my radio and I have to choose station to turn it on again. No rhyme or reason to it - no answers at all.

No list of voice commands. Geniuses told me in no uncertain terms there is no list - basically just keep trying different things. They knew like 2-3.

No ability to text from voice command when not using Car Play.

The complete lack of knowledge from most of the geniuses. Just by reading this forum for two weeks I see that the vast majority of people on it know ten times as much as them. This is their job - heck, they should be required to read through this forum to learns about the cars!

Still learning day by day - finding things I really like (through this forum) and finding things I don't or that aren't working as they should. Love the car so hope some of these software issues get resolved.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:39 AM   #235
teeebone
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Quote:
I had the same issue with the radio - nobody at the dealer had an answer that would work every time. I finally realized that if I shut off the car and open my door very slowly the radio and entire Idrive display turns off. This works for me every single time (if I dare to swing the door open fast the radio will in fact stay on).

Last edited by teeebone; 12-13-2019 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:27 PM   #236
Bernie2x
Private
Austria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 (2018) 2.0d

Quote:
8. Excessive wind noise
9. Only 1 USB

1. can be configured in settings
3. works for me every single time, don't kick it underneath, just do a motion where your leg gets close to the fender and away again
4. granted
5. have to check
6. that's strange -> something the dealer needs to take a look at
7. happens when my girlfriends pulls the hatch instead of just pressing the button - granted it's easy to do it wrong
9. the should be a 2-port adapter for the cigarette lighter port - we bought the BMW one with the USB-C port which is charging much faster
10. there is one?
12. granted

my biggest issue with the X3: No free software updates for iDrive 6 - BMW dealers charge about 150Eur for something a 50Eur smartphone can do but my 70k+ car cannot! I'm not complaining that they aren't OTA with iDrive 6 but they should be free at dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #237
asyvan
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (MY19)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie2x View Post
Quote:
8. Excessive wind noise
9. Only 1 USB

1. can be configured in settings
3. works for me every single time, don't kick it underneath, just do a motion where your leg gets close to the fender and away again
4. granted
5. have to check
6. that's strange -> something the dealer needs to take a look at
7. happens when my girlfriends pulls the hatch instead of just pressing the button - granted it's easy to do it wrong
9. the should be a 2-port adapter for the cigarette lighter port - we bought the BMW one with the USB-C port which is charging much faster
10. there is one?
12. granted

my biggest issue with the X3: No free software updates for iDrive 6 - BMW dealers charge about 150Eur for something a 50Eur smartphone can do! I'm not complaining that they aren't OTA with iDrive 6 but they should be free at dealerships.
4. What? Sure it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:04 PM   #238
Richierich32
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d in White

Traffic noise from drivers door

Questionable build quality on doors / panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclimax13 View Post
So far I love this vehicle. I've had so much enjoyment driving it and discovering all the hidden features and tricks it has. But I have some complaints.

1. The autozoom feature during navigation is awful. It zooms out way to far. I've had to leave it in manual zoom. Hopefully Bmw fixes this in an update.

2. Can't receive text in a $60,000 vehicle??? I've read that this can easily be enabled but with so many other cars that do this including my previous, this should be standard.

3. Wind noise seems to be excessive.

4. No track forward or reverse on the steering wheel. This should be on every wheel. Luckily I was able to assign a gesture to do this.

5. No spare really limits my choice of tires when they need to be replaced. Will have to stick with rft's.

6. No remote start feature. Could have at least given the ability to turn on the rear defrost, heated seated and heated steering wheel from the app.

Now the list of things I love would be obnoxiously long so I'll end it here. What's on your hate list?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 09:59 PM   #239
animal.style
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Black Sapphire

Too many creeks and squeaks and rattles inside the car...especially considering this is supposed to be a luxury car.

I also hate that the horn has such a dainty tone.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 10:42 PM   #240
jaychoy912
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by animal.style View Post
Too many creeks and squeaks and rattles inside the car...especially considering this is supposed to be a luxury car.

might be luck of the draw, mine is pretty solid
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 01:26 AM   #241
asyvan
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i (MY19)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal.style View Post

On my F25 I had squeaks and creaks. Turned out to be the door rubber seals. I had gotten paint treatment (wax or polish or something) on them. It made them squeak really bad. Cleaned them and it all disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #242
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Quote:
My 2 series before the X3 did this and I hate it. Who at BMW thought this would be a good idea should be taken outside and shot.
Appreciate 0