BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-05-2024, 11:39 PM   #1
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i MHD+XHP Stg 2/3

2019 X3 M40i Passenger Side Mirror / Ambient lighting strip stopped working

Has anyone had issues with their passenger side mirror / ambient lighting strip cutting out? My passenger mirror loss all function and I can’t adjust or tilt it in any way, and the ambient lighting strip on the passenger side has also stopped working. It will intermittently come back on but they seem to be connected as either both or none work.

Just took it to the dealer and they said it was not fuse related and they would have to take the door panel off but don’t have time to do in depth diagnostics with them today. Has anyone experienced a similar issue that could point me to the cause of this issue? Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2024, 06:51 PM   #2
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Going to take to dealership next week or so to further troubleshoot
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2024, 01:46 PM   #3
NYRangers79
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 m40i Stage 2+

The wiring for this is in series. Any chance the small light in the panel underneath the glove box went bad or got disconnected? I lost my entire passenger side lights because of this. Once I fixed that light it was fine. Once something does or gets disconnected everything after it stops working. Easy enough to check.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 06:54 PM   #4
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
The wiring for this is in series. Any chance the small light in the panel underneath the glove box went bad or got disconnected? I lost my entire passenger side lights because of this. Once I fixed that light it was fine. Once something does or gets disconnected everything after it stops working. Easy enough to check.
I will check next time I go to my car. I installed a fuse tap kit that goes near the glovebox/footwell so its possible something went bad after the install. Do you have a rough diagram or photo of where I should look/what to take apart? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2024, 09:20 PM   #5
NYRangers79
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Bmw X3 m40i Stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWM40i View Post
I will check next time I go to my car. I installed a fuse tap kit that goes near the glovebox/footwell so its possible something went bad after the install. Do you have a rough diagram or photo of where I should look/what to take apart? Thanks!
Have you ever changed your cabin filter? It’s the black panel you need to remove to access under the glovebox. There is a footwell light on it. Mine was left unplugged and it cause the same exact issue. I can take a photo tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 06:58 PM   #6
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers79 View Post
Have you ever changed your cabin filter? It’s the black panel you need to remove to access under the glovebox. There is a footwell light on it. Mine was left unplugged and it cause the same exact issue. I can take a photo tomorrow.
Took a peek under there and that light is still on.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2024, 11:18 PM   #7
MMnut
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Could be connectors come loose with door opened / closed quite often. You can try yourself first by removing the door card and check. Very easy work.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 09:48 AM   #8
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMnut View Post
Could be connectors come loose with door opened / closed quite often. You can try yourself first by removing the door card and check. Very easy work.
Finally got this further diagnosed by BMW. Unfortunately they told me that they need to access some pins in the fuse box near the glovebox that may have been dislodged? They said they had to pull the entire dashboard out to access this and it would be 9.5 hours of labor or $2033 to get in there. Just told them to give the car back to me after hearing that ridiculous quote. I can live without a tilting mirror for now and find an independent shop that can probably fix it for half that.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2024, 05:43 PM   #9
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Finally got this further diagnosed by BMW. Unfortunately they told me that they need to access some pins in the fuse box near the glovebox that may have been dislodged? They said they had to pull the entire dashboard out to access this and it would be 9.5 hours of labor or $2033 to get in there. Just told them to give the car back to me after hearing that ridiculous quote. I can live without a tilting mirror for now and find an independent shop that can probably fix it for half that.
You have to wonder if they quote a ridiculous price and hours just so that you decide not to have it done. I mean seriously with that labor time and cost, BMW doesn’t really want you to have this done. Which your not so it worked but your still out of a repair. It doesn’t make any sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2024, 10:05 PM   #10
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
You have to wonder if they quote a ridiculous price and hours just so that you decide not to have it done. I mean seriously with that labor time and cost, BMW doesn’t really want you to have this done. Which your not so it worked but your still out of a repair. It doesn’t make any sense.
I agree, it's very weird, but I would imagine they would want to bill the most man hours possible, especially when their labor rate is $200/hr just ridiculous.

Here's the youtube video diagnostic from the mechanic, make what you will of that. I just hate to think my mirror not getting power requires the entire dashboard to be pulled.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2024, 06:13 PM   #11
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
I agree, it's very weird, but I would imagine they would want to bill the most man hours possible, especially when their labor rate is $200/hr just ridiculous.

Here's the youtube video diagnostic from the mechanic, make what you will of that. I just hate to think my mirror not getting power requires the entire dashboard to be pulled.

That guy is using selecting words pausing too much. He says we have to tear apart the dash to see if the wiring is good and if it is then we push the pin back into the fuse box. Why don’t they just push the pin back in the fuse box now and see if it sticks and works? Why tear apart the dash just to see if the wiring is working? Maybe it already is working. He’s being too careful about how he words it.

These things bother me, it’s like they don’t want to work with you. I mean you just want a safety feature to work again and not have to pay thousands of dollars. This seems like a minor issue to get fixed but they find a way to make it cost an arm and a leg to get fixed.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2024, 10:45 PM   #12
PNWM40i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
That guy is using selecting words pausing too much. He says we have to tear apart the dash to see if the wiring is good and if it is then we push the pin back into the fuse box. Why don’t they just push the pin back in the fuse box now and see if it sticks and works? Why tear apart the dash just to see if the wiring is working? Maybe it already is working. He’s being too careful about how he words it.

These things bother me, it’s like they don’t want to work with you. I mean you just want a safety feature to work again and not have to pay thousands of dollars. This seems like a minor issue to get fixed but they find a way to make it cost an arm and a leg to get fixed.
I agree, the entire interaction with them just rubbed me the wrong way. Not to mention when I got the car back I now have a 'restraint system' error that tells me something wasn't reassembled correctly so now I have to go back and have that looked at. Mind you this is my closest dealer and it's almost 3 hours away so its a complete PITA when I have to go to them for service. Once I get this error resolved I'll ask around some independent Euro shops and get a 2nd/3rd opinion. It would be nice to have my curb view tilt function back on that side and the blind spot light does not work either so it is a semi safety hazard at this point.
Appreciate 0