BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3 (G01) / X4 (G02) Forum BMW X3 xDrive30e First Drive Review

06-12-2019, 12:46 AM   #45
titomi
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
My thoughts and worries exactly. Everybody is talking about future with EV cars, but somehow forgetting to say the B side - where would the power come from, what is gonna happen with the batteries, etc. Is future really in EV? I'm not sure. Not until we figure out aforementioned questions.

For those comparing power of EV and petrol/diesel cars - EV are not to bring more power, but bring less emissions. Nothing more. That's so far the only argument I'm hearing in favor of EV.
Try the new Tesla Model 3 Performance. Crazy power and good handling. Faster than a BMW M3/M4.

I'm not saying they can't be powerfull. They can and some are, but that's not their mission.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:44 AM   #46
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
give it a rest guys. Full electric is a niche and impractical. I would rather mate a 3l turbo with a super battery with ludicrous performance encased in a super chassis in an elegant vehicle(with a sensible grille).
Btw my Mrs(blonde) thinks model x looks like a costlier prius and model s welll looks like a mondeo.
Completely agree! Certainly in the UK, charging stations are not wide-spread enough yet. It seems Tesla have the best infra, but personally canít see myself ever owning one, too tacky and full of plastic (personal opinion).

Now whilst unlikely, a 3.0 BMW with electric...hmm 😂
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #47
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
I'm not saying they can't be powerfull. They can and some are, but that's not their mission.
Would still choose the M3/M4 ANY day of the week...too quiet
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #48
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined ‼️
BMW sells what, 2 million cars per year?? You’re dreaming.

When I say the world isn’t ready, I’m not referring to California or the other dozen states where Tesla’s are sold in the US. I’m talking about the other 99% of the planet where Tesla doesn’t even register.

You can’t judge success from the viewpoint of the demographic who buys these expensive cars in a few countries. I think it will take more progress across the board until EVs become the majority of sales, and even more progress in all areas (battery technology with different chemistry, electricity production, massive cost reductions, longevity, etc) before they become the only vehicles on the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it isn’t misplaced. But you are looking at it from an extremely narrow perspective.

2018 F80 Santorini
2004 Z4 3.0
2014 X3 35i

Last edited by adc; 06-12-2019 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #49
Ras550
Private
Rep
Drives: Now:3P, Then:335xi,330ZHP,540i

Quote:
My battery will outlast the car, and have a second life after that as a storage device to help power a school or building when power goes out. ICE cars are the dying breed.
Exactly. The current model 3 batteries are expected to last 250k-300k miles at least. And the motors are designed for 1 million miles. These numbers are unheard of before Tesla.

As for power sources, Even 100% coal power is >2x cleaner than gas powered engines. If you add wind and solar, its 4-5x cleaner (like in CA).

The current grid in the US can support EVs for a long long time. we are nowhere close to its limits. Can't speak for every corner of the globe though.

I think the biggest issue with EV adoption is customer education. For those of us in markets like CA/NY, we know all these are non-issues. In other markets where Tesla has yet to sell Model 3 at large scale, people just lack awareness. Tesla's no advertising approach doesn't help, and traditional car dealers will continue to spread FUD like range anxiety, battery longevity and a lot of other nonsense that hasn't been true for 5+ years.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN964.50

06-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #50
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Quote:
Why?

Because Tesla is absolutely eating all of their lunches combined.

And you can add Lexus to that list as well. Tesla is outselling Mercedes BMW and Lexus combined ‼️
BMW sells what, 2 million cars per year?? You're dreaming.

When I say the world isn't ready, I'm not referring to California or the other dozen states where Tesla's are sold in the US. I'm talking about the other 99% of the planet where Tesla doesn't even register.

You can't judge success from the viewpoint of the demographic who buys these expensive cars in a few countries. I think it will take more progress across the board until EVs become the majority of sales, and even more progress in all areas (battery technology with different chemistry, electricity production, massive cost reductions, longevity, etc) before they become the only vehicles on the road.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it isn't misplaced. But you are looking at it from an extremely narrow perspective.
Let me word that correctly.

It's more than just enthusiasm...

*"Tesla Model 3 outsold all premium competition"

https://insideevs.com/news/353847/te...m-competitors/
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jphcbpa12.00