BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-25-2022, 11:24 AM   #23
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Don't you guys ever wonder why I never promote catless downpipe?

You should see the dyno result on catless downpipe by itself without tune vs midpipe by itself without tune.
1. Because you are in California and you can't sell them in your own state so you prefer to sell Catted versions. Don't blame you but let's be real California is the strictest state when it comes to car mods and emissions.

2. Catless downpipes won't make much power with out a tune because the Ecu reduces boost to hit the targeted factory set torque. This does NOT mean Downpipes do not create any power from less restriction. Midpipes will have the same effect once the ecu sees any additional gains created. A piggy back or flash tune will correct this.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:29 AM   #24
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@mad-us.com View Post
1. Because you are in California and you can't sell them in your own state so you prefer to sell Catted versions. Don't blame you but let's be real California is the strictest state when it comes to car mods and emissions.

2. Catless downpipes won't make much power with out a tune because the Ecu reduces boost to hit the targeted factory set torque. This does NOT mean Downpipes do not create any power from less restriction. Midpipes will have the same effect once the ecu sees any additional gains created. A piggy back or flash tune will correct this.
Uhm, proof?
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:07 PM   #25
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Uhm, proof?
Factory ecu torque limits and throttle closures are nothing new.. I've seen it in person after installing downpipes causing throttle closures to match factory torque from less restriction and quicker spool which results in over boosting. This goes for all mods not just downpipes. A flash is essential or a tunable piggy back such as a Jb4 . The car will even lower boost on cold days and raise boost on hot days because of the air density and the ecu's ability to always keep the same power. The days of cold weather and more boost are behind us unfortunately.

Great explanation of s58 logs and throttle closures even on factory cars @ 14 min.

Customer with our Downpipes. Read the comments that other have shared with him everyone is seeing Throttle closures and boost reductions.

You can see it here at 13 min when intakes filters are installed

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 05-25-2022 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:35 PM   #26
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Exactly as stated in this video.

Here are dyno results on my '20 X3MC.

Catless with no tune. Shows HP/TQ loss with no tune.
Name:  BMWF97X3MC.Baseline-Catless.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  65.7 KB

Midpipe with no tune. Shows HP/TQ gain even with no tune.
Name:  BMWF97X3MC.Baseline-Midpipe.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  59.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 12:39 PM   #27
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Exactly as stated in this video.

Here are dyno results on my '20 X3MC.

Catless with no tune. Shows HP/TQ loss with no tune.
Attachment 2892266

Midpipe with no tune. Shows HP/TQ gain even with no tune.
Attachment 2892267
I'd love to hear your explanation on that making any sense at all if its not closing throttle. Removing primary cat (most restrictive) VS removing a secondary cat (less restrictive) Its the tuning....

BTW the Thick lines in the video above are with the downpipe and the thin line was stock Downpipe.

You can clearly see it making more power till boost was reduced at 3300 rpm.

Jb4 tuned car with Dp vs stock dp

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 05-25-2022 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:03 PM   #28
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd love to hear your explanation on that making any sense at all. Removing primary cat (most restrictive) VS removing a secondary cat (less restrictive) Its the tuning....

BTW the Thick lines in the video above are with the downpipe and the thin line was stock Downpipe.

You can clearly see it making more power till boost was reduced at 3300 rpm.

Jb4 tuned car with Dp vs stock do

Well, you are a manufacturer, you should have all the data and explanation on product that you develop, manufacture, market, and sell.
I am just a reseller who is bored and collect data to share.

Anyway, moving on.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #29
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Well, you are a manufacturer, you should have all the data and explanation on product that you develop, manufacture, market, and sell.
I am just a reseller who is bored and collect data to share.

Anyway, moving on.
I explained it all in the first post Thanks for sharing your dynos though. Having worked with dynos for many years I always find it interesting how different samples can be from one another. There are so many factors that go into it that most don't know about.

Take care.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 03:15 PM   #30
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
The ECU has thresholds to which it can change parameters for power. The catless DP exceeds this (because of the missing O2 sensor input) in which case the engine retards power due to tolerances and stays within spec. The midpipe does not have the missing o2 input, nor does it exceed these tolerances therefor its allowed to push to an efficient "power boost" setting.

In short a catless DP without tune will result in power loss due to missing sensory data input. A midpipe will not because nothing is missing and less restriction of flow.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12909.00
      05-25-2022, 05:07 PM   #31
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
The ECU has thresholds to which it can change parameters for power. The catless DP exceeds this (because of the missing O2 sensor input) in which case the engine retards power due to tolerances and stays within spec. The midpipe does not have the missing o2 input, nor does it exceed these tolerances therefor its allowed to push to an efficient "power boost" setting.

In short a catless DP without tune will result in power loss due to missing sensory data input. A midpipe will not because nothing is missing and less restriction of flow.
What o2 is missing? We have both primary widebands and secondary o2s installed. Pic of our g80 Dps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Info@mad-us.com; 05-25-2022 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 07:17 PM   #32
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
What o2 is missing? We have both primary widebands and secondary o2s installed. Pic of our g80 Dps.
A stock engine is not tuned for a non-catted downpipes output, its looking for specific parameters of post combustion in order to lean/rich the engine, so if its not able to see/hit what it needs to it will just stick to known specs in a safety known spread. Sticking an 02 sensor on it will just throw a CEL which is telling you "its not working properly". I'm not arguing here I'm just stating facts of how these work as an engineer. Putting a bigger mouth on you doesn't mean your lungs can handle more air, they handle as much as they are supposed to in order to work efficiently/properly.

This is the principal of how piggy backs work, they trick the engine into a different scale, you could potentially piggy back the o2 on the downpipes and trick the engine into thinking its operating properly ("DP Fix") these also exists and work better than bungs.

I dont even know where this is going, DP's work better on precision engines when there is a tune involved, otherwise the engine will be out of spec and junk happens. Mid pipes do not alter any thing in the tech chain which is why they produce some actionable results in "newer" engines with tighter tolerances due to smog and emission standards.
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12909.00
      05-25-2022, 08:11 PM   #33
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestimp View Post
A stock engine is not tuned for a non-catted downpipes output, its looking for specific parameters of post combustion in order to lean/rich the engine, so if its not able to see/hit what it needs to it will just stick to known specs in a safety known spread. Sticking an 02 sensor on it will just throw a CEL which is telling you "its not working properly". I'm not arguing here I'm just stating facts of how these work as an engineer. Putting a bigger mouth on you doesn't mean your lungs can handle more air, they handle as much as they are supposed to in order to work efficiently/properly.

This is the principal of how piggy backs work, they trick the engine into a different scale, you could potentially piggy back the o2 on the downpipes and trick the engine into thinking its operating properly ("DP Fix") these also exists and work better than bungs.

I dont even know where this is going, DP's work better on precision engines when there is a tune involved, otherwise the engine will be out of spec and junk happens. Mid pipes do not alter any thing in the tech chain which is why they produce some actionable results in "newer" engines with tighter tolerances due to smog and emission standards.

Yeah you are correct! I just thought you were saying the rear 02's were disconnected in your previous post but, I understand what you meant now.
Appreciate 1
thestimp969.00