BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-01-2021, 09:00 AM   #23
lolo-comp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC

uncboys: yours sounds much worse than mine. But, I also have this slight rotational rubbing sound at slow speeds right before coming to a complete stop. Annoying AF. No idea what the solution is..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2021, 06:51 PM   #24
lolo-comp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4MC

Anyone get a final resolution on what this is and how to fix it? Driving me crazy..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2021, 09:47 PM   #25
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo-comp View Post
Anyone get a final resolution on what this is and how to fix it? Driving me crazy..
I have an appointment in the morning and am supposed to be having my SA and shop foreman riding with me so they can hear what I hear. I will post on here if there is any resolution or if they continue to say it’s normal and there’s nothing they can do.

I am also lucky enough to have picked up one the vehicles with the main engine bearing shell recall/no recall. Will be interesting to see how it goes down tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #26
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadyhand View Post
Update: X3M now has 2,200 miles and this 'rotational clicking noise' remains. The sound is like something on a front drive-shaft is hitting on something else as it rotates when braking at low speed coming to a stop.

Anyone else experiencing this? The dealership investigated this at 1,200 miles and claimed it was an expansion pin in the front brakes and was normal.

Thoughts?
I just took my LCI X3MC to BMW of Fairfax this morning and explained the front left brakes are making a clicking/ticking noise when coming to a gradual stop. I also stated I tried bedding in the brakes with no success.

After a few hours waiting in the lobby, my SA came back and acknowledged they were able to reproduce the issue and it is definitely abnormal. They have made a case with BMW and are awaiting further instructions. I rescheduled for 1/5/22 in order to get a loaner but SA will advise if they can fix any earlier.

Not sure if it matters, but I also got Ultimate Care+ when I purchased the car...

Did you ever get this resolved?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 06:54 PM   #27
Steadyhand
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90, E70, F30, F97/G01 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo View Post
I just took my LCI X3MC to BMW of Fairfax this morning and explained the front left brakes are making a clicking/ticking noise when coming to a gradual stop. I also stated I tried bedding in the brakes with no success.

After a few hours waiting in the lobby, my SA came back and acknowledged they were able to reproduce the issue and it is definitely abnormal. They have made a case with BMW and are awaiting further instructions. I rescheduled for 1/5/22 in order to get a loaner but SA will advise if they can fix any earlier.

Not sure if it matters, but I also got Ultimate Care+ when I purchased the car...

I took mine (2021 X3M - built in Feb 2021) to BMW of Fairfax and one of the two foremen (Rich) rode with me and confirmed this noise...we also waited a couple of hours while they checked with the regional service folks and the consensus among them was that the noise was coming from the "pins" in the front brake calipers and was completely normal.

I didn't have any proof that it was not normal, so I tucked my tail between my legs and drove it home peacefully. I've been secretly (mildly) chapped, because it's incredibly hard to believe expansion pins in the calipers could be responsible. I have 3,600 miles now and the issue isn't resolved whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2021, 10:04 PM   #28
uncboysetsfire
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3M

Quote:

I have not yet obtained a resolution. I was told after getting there that the foreman was unable to ride with me that day and since they are doing whatever is needed for the main bearing shell recall it’s just been sitting there since Thursday. I really hope there is something that can be done because the sound is so damn annoying. Please keep us posted with what they determine in January.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:25 AM   #29
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncboysetsfire View Post
I have not yet obtained a resolution. I was told after getting there that the foreman was unable to ride with me that day and since they are doing whatever is needed for the main bearing shell recall it’s just been sitting there since Thursday. I really hope there is something that can be done because the sound is so damn annoying. Please keep us posted with what they determine in January.
Oh damn, sorry to hear about the main bearing shell. I can PM you the name of my SA at BMW of Fairfax. I just described the issue when I dropped it off and didn't have to ride with any technician.

My SA contacted me this morning; BMW engineers approved the replacement of both front axel dust shields. Parts have been ordered. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:27 AM   #30
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Does anyone have a sound clip of this issue? I get an occasional tick but nothing that sounds too out of the ordinary for a moody ///M car.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #31
Young04
Captain
Rep
Drives: iX, i4 and 392 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spta97 View Post
Does anyone have a sound clip of this issue? I get an occasional tick but nothing that sounds too out of the ordinary for a moody ///M car.
There is a video on one of the X3M Facebook groups (that I cannot download). If you search "clicking" it comes up. It's from July of this year.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 04:47 PM   #32
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young04 View Post
There is a video on one of the X3M Facebook groups (that I cannot download). If you search "clicking" it comes up. It's from July of this year.
Thanks - I'm not on facebook but will post a link if I find it elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 04:54 PM   #33
pyo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh damn, sorry to hear about the main bearing shell. I can PM you the name of my SA at BMW of Fairfax. I just described the issue when I dropped it off and didn't have to ride with any technician.

My SA contacted me this morning; BMW engineers approved the replacement of both front axel dust shields. Parts have been ordered. Fingers crossed this fixes the issue.
Update: Car has been at the dealer since 1/5. They replaced the front axel dust shields but the clicking sound remained.
SA just updated me today, BMW has approved replacement of complete front brakes (rotors, pads, sensors)...

Looks like my experience is the same as NKGK20 and SmittyJ
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2022, 02:16 PM   #34
alpineweissm
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is (sold) 2020 X3MC

Just dropped my '20 X3MC off at the dealer for a second round of "guess that clicking sound." Do my clips below look/sound like what everyone is referencing on this thread? The dealer said they originally thought it was a washer fluid reservoir bracket that had an active bulletin. They performed that bulletin, but obviously that wasn't it.

https://youtube.com/shorts/fkdF6vDZeZQ?feature=share
https://youtube.com/shorts/-PR0RgZqBpg?feature=share
Appreciate 0