BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-15-2021, 06:40 AM   #1
snowdroppe
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 20d 2011

Rattle in 2nd when Steering Left after DMF Replacement

I recently had my clutch pack and DMF replaced as it was slipping terribly. Strangely the friction plate had lots of meat left but was utterly scorched as if it were installed incorrectly but the DMF was smashed so it was the right call regardless.

Anyway, ever since the repair, the clutch has been perfect but I've noticed a rattle coming from the engine bay under acceleration in 2nd gear but only when steering hard left (more than 3/4 of a steering wheel turn). The issue cannot be reproduced when steering straight or right but is reproduced consistently when steering to the left.

I don't want to accuse the garage of misinstalling anything as I'm aware fixing one issue could cause another to become evident and not cause it but it kind of sounds like something is loose.

I'm not really sure what this is so I've linked 2 mp3s - one example when steering to the left (rattles) and one to the right (no rattle) in second gear and accelerating.The slight clunk heard in both is the gear change into 2nd. It's hard to pick up normal engine noise with my microphone but the rattle is very audible on the left recording and is louder in person.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help out!

Left turn (rattles)
Right turn (no rattle)

P.S. I've added gain to the recordings to make it clearer so you shouldn't need to crank the volume.
Appreciate 0