BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-11-2019, 04:51 PM   #1
BrilliantGobble
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Question Is it possible to download CarPlay in a 2018 BMW X3?

I am potentially looking to buy a pre owned 2018 BMW X3, that does not have Apple CarPlay installed. I am very used to using CarPlay in my current car and it's a must have for me in any new car I have.

The car has a navigation system with the big center screen on the dash. I don't mind paying extra, but I want to know if buying CarPlay is an option via the BMW ConnectedDrive store? I would ideally like the wireless carplay that BMW's provide, but I am also ok with a wired carplay if that's the only option.

This pre-owned BMW is sold by a non-BMW dealership, but the dealership sales told me that adding CarPlay is possible. I tried calling my local BMW dealership but the response was very confusing. My decision to buy the car is based on this feature so want to make sure I don't regret it later. Any response would be appreciated.

Last edited by BrilliantGobble; 03-11-2019 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: Fixing a typo
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #2
MrPorter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i, 2020 X7 M50i

Shoutout JayPichardo
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2019, 07:09 PM   #3
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Hi. Yes, you can add the option via the connected drive store. You can also have it remotely coded for the vehicle. If you had the smaller screen system in your vehicle, you would not be able to add the feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrilliantGobble View Post
I am potentially looking to buy a pre owned 2018 BMW X3, that does not have Apple CarPlay installed. I am very used to using CarPlay in my current car and it's a must have for me in any new car I have.

The car has a navigation system with the big center screen on the dash. I don't mind paying extra, but I want to know if buying CarPlay is an option via the BMW ConnectedDrive store? I would ideally like the wireless carplay that BMW's provide, but I am also ok with a wired carplay if that's the only option.

This pre-owned BMW is sold by a non-BMW dealership, but the dealership sales told me that adding CarPlay is possible. I tried calling my local BMW dealership but the response was very confusing. My decision to buy the car is based on this feature so want to make sure I don't regret it later. Any response would be appreciated.
Just follow the instructions on the video. A BMW dealerships will need to set up an ESA account for you first.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
BrilliantGobble
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Hi. Yes, you can add the option via the connected drive store. You can also have it remotely coded for the vehicle. If you had the smaller screen system in your vehicle, you would not be able to add the feature.
Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that the car needs to a wifi antenna for carplay. And the wifi antenna is only installed if the BMW was ordered with Wireless charging or factory installed CarPlay. My car does not have wireless charging but does have navigation with the latest idrive system. Do you know if the install only works in cars that have "Wireless Charging".

Needing "Wireless Charging" for Apple Carplay sounds very weird to me, but just wanna check if you know if that's the case.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #6
whiscuz
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrilliantGobble View Post
Thanks for the reply. I read somewhere that the car needs to a wifi antenna for carplay. And the wifi antenna is only installed if the BMW was ordered with Wireless charging or factory installed CarPlay. My car does not have wireless charging but does have navigation with the latest idrive system. Do you know if the install only works in cars that have "Wireless Charging".

Needing "Wireless Charging" for Apple Carplay sounds very weird to me, but just wanna check if you know if that's the case.
I have Apple Carplay in my 2018 X3 M40i and I do not have wireless charging. My window sticker says 'Apple Carplay Preparation' though I don't know what that includes. This is the code: 6CP - Apple Carplay Preparation

Take a look at http://bimmer.work/ to decode the VIN to see what it shows for your car.
Appreciate 1
      03-13-2019, 01:29 AM   #7
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiscuz View Post
I have Apple Carplay in my 2018 X3 M40i and I do not have wireless charging. My window sticker says 'Apple Carplay Preparation' though I don't know what that includes. This is the code: 6CP - Apple Carplay Preparation

Take a look at http://bimmer.work/ to decode the VIN to see what it shows for your car.
For 2018, you could do factory orders of carplay without wireless charging. The factory would just install the wifi antenna (which was normally a part of the wireless charging option, at least in the US) and activate carplay for you.

However, for cars without wireless charging (the wifi antenna), it's apparently not simple to get carplay after delivery. See this post.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 12:51 PM   #8
Bmwtechgeek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw m5

I found a guy to install apple car play in my ride. Its a DIY software you install yourself. Works like a charm!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 06:14 AM   #9
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
I have a 2018 X3M40i with Apple CarPlay preparation - but we dont have access to BMW connected services in Abu Dhabi - despite them being present on the car.
I am therefore keen to know how I could get CarPlay activated - without going through BMW connected?
Any ideas welcome!
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #10
cwulffy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwtechgeek View Post
I found a guy to install apple car play in my ride. Its a DIY software you install yourself. Works like a charm!
Can you share details? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #11
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. So I have a 2018 BMW X3, IDRIVE6, but no wireless antenna or "CarPlay prep" as mentioned from the factory.

I'm thinking all I need to do is buy and install a wireless antenna to the IDRIVE unit, and then do the coding to enable CarPlay... both full screen and to unlock it. I'm not paying for CarPlay to BMW, I don't care about the warranty concern.

Despite having Connected, it's not an option in the menus to purchase/enable CarPlay (even if the phone is connected via USB to the car).

Can someone validate my thinking above? Thanks!
Previous: 2016 F82 ///M4 Black Sapphire Metallic | My Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:50 PM   #12
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

You are correct. It's been discussed before in an old thread or two. You can get an antenna off aliexpress for like five bucks and it works just as good as OEM. Other members have done it before.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2020, 09:53 AM   #13
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
You are correct. It's been discussed before in an old thread or two. You can get an antenna off aliexpress for like five bucks and it works just as good as OEM. Other members have done it before.
Thanks! I appreciate the response. Just closing the loop on this. I was able to reach out to a forum vendor and get this coded into my X3. I'll post pictures in a bit.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      09-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #14
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsm.m4 View Post
Thanks! I appreciate the response. Just closing the loop on this. I was able to reach out to a forum vendor and get this coded into my X3. I'll post pictures in a bit.
You can also purchase OEM antenna which will come faster than China one.
Here's the part number for it: 61119308571

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
You can also purchase OEM antenna which will come faster than China one.
Here's the part number for it: 61119308571

Thanks!
Thanks, I just ordered it through a forum vendor, GetBMWParts.

I was able to code in CarPlay to my X3 and it technically works over Bluetooth, but there's a noticeable lag in the interface, and the connection is very spotty. I also had to manually pair/unpair the phone every time to get it to work. This could've been for a variety of reasons, and I'd rather just install the wireless antenna for a solid connection and signal. So thanks Kubax for your awesome help with the coding and advice.

In my M4 I did an IDRIVE 6 retrofit with a wireless antenna and it works perfectly... no lag, no need to pair/unpair etc. Very excited to have the same experience on my X3
Appreciate 2
      01-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #16
feem
Registered
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveX3M40i View Post
Hi,
I have a 2018 X3M40i with Apple CarPlay preparation - but we dont have access to BMW connected services in Abu Dhabi - despite them being present on the car.
I am therefore keen to know how I could get CarPlay activated - without going through BMW connected?
Any ideas welcome!
Cheers
Steve
Hi there,
Please can you tell me if you cam right with this? I am buying the same X3 M40i from the dealer in Abu dhabi but I live in Dubai. The vehicle is fully installed with all the tele services and connect drive options but they are disabled or not activated. I live in Dubai.
Dubai does not have regulations against ConnectedDrive or CarPlay.
Is there any help or advice you can offer me? thanks,
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 03:33 PM   #17
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by feem View Post
Hi there,
Please can you tell me if you cam right with this? I am buying the same X3 M40i from the dealer in Abu dhabi but I live in Dubai. The vehicle is fully installed with all the tele services and connect drive options but they are disabled or not activated. I live in Dubai.
Dubai does not have regulations against ConnectedDrive or CarPlay.
Is there any help or advice you can offer me? thanks,
The main dealer should be able to sort activation for you, it may require a BMW fsc code (software security) as well as the function enabling, BMW have said they will no longer charge for the fsc code (for cars with Carplay preparation installed at factory) but your dealer May charge for service technician time to update the car software. It is easier to do via connected drive services and an OTA update but if not available in your country then your dealer can use ISTA or E-sys systems to do it. It may simply require a software update to activate the function but if not then the dealer can acquire fsc code and enable via BMW service software.

You just need to tell them that this is what you want done. If they refuse then for ID6 there are forum members who can remotely code this for you (for a fee) but I strongly recommend you get the BMW dealer to do it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:31 PM   #18
Sabordab
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

CarPlay cost anyone?

Quote:
Who coded CarPlay for you and what did it cost as this whole forum shows no prices
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #19
bmwmdistrict
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabordab View Post
Quote:
Who coded CarPlay for you and what did it cost as this whole forum shows no prices
Send a private message to kubax86 I've used him several times since this original post for coding purposes on multiple BMWs. He can inform you of pricing. He is awesome. And a registered forum vendor.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      07-13-2021, 05:09 PM   #20
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabordab View Post
You can check all the pricing in my webstore.
If you're unsure which product you need just send me a PM with VIN.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:20 PM   #21
JGONZ51
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubax86 View Post
You can check all the pricing in my webstore.
If you're unsure which product you need just send me a PM with VIN.
Hi kubax86 New member here and hoping you can help me out. Tried PM'ing you but because I'm a new member I cannot yet do so.

I recently purchased a CPO 2018 330i Xdrive touring F30 and have been told by the dealer that apple car play is not an option because it wasn't originally installed as an option from the factory. I hear you're the guy that can help with these kind of things and hoping that's the case. Please let me know if you are able and willing to assist.

Thank you!

-Jared
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 01:50 AM   #22
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGONZ51 View Post
Hi kubax86 New member here and hoping you can help me out. Tried PM'ing you but because I'm a new member I cannot yet do so.

I recently purchased a CPO 2018 330i Xdrive touring F30 and have been told by the dealer that apple car play is not an option because it wasn't originally installed as an option from the factory. I hear you're the guy that can help with these kind of things and hoping that's the case. Please let me know if you are able and willing to assist.

Thank you!

-Jared
Can't send you PM but you can contact me directly.
Appreciate 0