BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
dst5780
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i, 2018 320x

Garage List
2018 BMW 320  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Valentine 1 mount with Mirror Wire tap

I just set up my valentine one on my 2019 G01 30i with a mirror wiretap and wanted to add it up here so everyone can see (doesn't seem anyone has posted one yet).

I purchased this wiretap kit from amazon, seems to work pretty well and was highly recommended by my friend with a '15 Range Rover sport supercharged. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1XF4XU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I first popped off the cover just above the mirror. This was pretty easily done by putting a small plastic flathead screwdriver or electronics separator between the roof and the plastic and gently prying down, applying force evenly across the entire front part. There are two or 3 big clips which keep it up there, but it comes down pretty easy.

Once that cover is removed, you can see the plastic guards which houses the connected drive vision system, mirror, and rain sensor. This part is tricky, so be careful not to break the plastic or clips holding it together. The plastic clips together as a shell around the mirror, with the seam and clips right down the middle. Use a few plastic electronic separators from amazon or a tiny screwdriver (if you're feeling lucky) gently pry under the seam both below the mirror and above the mirror. Some force will be needed to pull from either side of the shell to help separate. I was afraid I broke part of the shell when it finally came apart, but looked OK after inspection.

After the shell is separated, place the plastic aside and remove the mirror from its mounting bracket. This is done without tools, by simply rocking the mirror back and forth and applying a little bit of downward force.

With the mirror hanging down, you can easily access the cabling clip which provides power to the mirror as well as the security sensor. insert the black side of the wire tap into the Brown "Ground" wire on the harness. Then insert the red side into the far right connection "Green with brown stripe". This voltage line is powered when the car is unlocked, and unpowered approx. 4-7 minutes after the car is locked. Don't apply too much pressure when inserting these taps but make sure that they are firmly seated, I actually used different sizes for ground and power to get the firm fit. Once the taps are placed, hook the ends up to the appropriate color on the tap cable, and wrap using the supplied electrical tape, then zip tie the end of the wire to the existing bundle to ensure no rattling while driving. Now is the time to check your work. Plug in your detector and ensure that the taps are seated firmly and provide consistent power. A loose connection will cause issues and may damage the detector, car, or both!

I prefer having the radar mounted above my head and to the right (Just to the top left of the mirror) so on the side of the mirror clam shell plastic, I cut a small hole using a hack saw and exact knife for the wire to come through.

I then replaced the mirror onto its basket by sliding it up until you feel a small click into place, and then fed the wire through the hole I cut into the plastic cover. Snap back the plastic around the mirror, ensuring that the posts at the top by the roof liner line up with their appropriate receptacles. Then slide the top cover back into place and press firmly until they click.

Be sure to wipe clean all the smudge marks from your DIY install and set up your desired mounting position. Install the radar into the mount, plug it in, turn the dial and voila! Let me know what you think in the comments and feel free to PM me! Best of luck!

Attached Images

Appreciate 10
MechX3M40i1006.00
BuddhaTB150.00
focker155.00
sinbad4779.50
Juris41.00
dmicah769.00
Transfer5250.00
Rhidium273.50
DonSylver213.00
      03-17-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst5780 View Post
With the mirror hanging down, you can easily access the cabling clip which provides power to the mirror as well as the security sensor. insert the black side of the wire tap into the Brown "Ground" wire on the harness. Then insert the red side into the far right connection "Green with brown stripe".
Which size taps did you end up using? (I see you opted for package with multiple sizes)
      03-17-2019, 07:33 PM   #3
BuddhaTB
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the DIY steps and photos!
      03-19-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
dst5780
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i, 2018 320x

Garage List
2018 BMW 320  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Which size taps did you end up using? (I see you opted for package with multiple sizes)
I Used two different inserts that came with the kit (a larger one fr the ground, and a thin one for the power). I don't remember the gauges exactly, but I used trial and error until they snugly fit. I had a harder time getting the RED power tap to fit without damaging, so I ended up using the thinnest tap in the kit.
Appreciate 1
sinbad4779.50
      03-21-2019, 09:19 PM   #5
OttoMobilia
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: it varies on my mood 😊

Garage List
Very useful... I have yet to install. This is a good kick in the a$$ to get it done!

Thanks for posting
 | Driving Assistance Pkg| Driving Assistance Plus Pkg | Executive Pkg | Premium Pkg | F & R Heated Seats
 | Trailer Hitch
 | Wireless Charging and WiFi Hotspot
 | Adaptive M Suspension
 | M Sport Diff | H K sound
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:41 PM   #6
Sublimeside
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 YMB ZCP, 2022 F97 X3M

Garage List
Quote:
I just set up my valentine one on my 2019 G01 30i with a mirror wiretap and wanted to add it up here so everyone can see (doesn't seem anyone has posted one yet).

I purchased this wiretap kit from amazon, seems to work pretty well and was highly recommended by my friend with a '15 Range Rover sport supercharged. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I1XF4XU...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I first popped off the cover just above the mirror. This was pretty easily done by putting a small plastic flathead screwdriver or electronics separator between the roof and the plastic and gently prying down, applying force evenly across the entire front part. There are two or 3 big clips which keep it up there, but it comes down pretty easy.

Once that cover is removed, you can see the plastic guards which houses the connected drive vision system, mirror, and rain sensor. This part is tricky, so be careful not to break the plastic or clips holding it together. The plastic clips together as a shell around the mirror, with the seam and clips right down the middle. Use a few plastic electronic separators from amazon or a tiny screwdriver (if you're feeling lucky) gently pry under the seam both below the mirror and above the mirror. Some force will be needed to pull from either side of the shell to help separate. I was afraid I broke part of the shell when it finally came apart, but looked OK after inspection.

After the shell is separated, place the plastic aside and remove the mirror from its mounting bracket. This is done without tools, by simply rocking the mirror back and forth and applying a little bit of downward force.

With the mirror hanging down, you can easily access the cabling clip which provides power to the mirror as well as the security sensor. insert the black side of the wire tap into the Brown "Ground" wire on the harness. Then insert the red side into the far right connection "Green with brown stripe". This voltage line is powered when the car is unlocked, and unpowered approx. 4-7 minutes after the car is locked. Don't apply too much pressure when inserting these taps but make sure that they are firmly seated, I actually used different sizes for ground and power to get the firm fit. Once the taps are placed, hook the ends up to the appropriate color on the tap cable, and wrap using the supplied electrical tape, then zip tie the end of the wire to the existing bundle to ensure no rattling while driving. Now is the time to check your work. Plug in your detector and ensure that the taps are seated firmly and provide consistent power. A loose connection will cause issues and may damage the detector, car, or both!

I prefer having the radar mounted above my head and to the right (Just to the top left of the mirror) so on the side of the mirror clam shell plastic, I cut a small hole using a hack saw and exact knife for the wire to come through.

I then replaced the mirror onto its basket by sliding it up until you feel a small click into place, and then fed the wire through the hole I cut into the plastic cover. Snap back the plastic around the mirror, ensuring that the posts at the top by the roof liner line up with their appropriate receptacles. Then slide the top cover back into place and press firmly until they click.

Be sure to wipe clean all the smudge marks from your DIY install and set up your desired mounting position. Install the radar into the mount, plug it in, turn the dial and voila! Let me know what you think in the comments and feel free to PM me! Best of luck!

What did you use to pry the outer plastic housing off. I’ve tried multiple tools and can’t separate it. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeside View Post
What did you use to pry the outer plastic housing off. I’ve tried multiple tools and can’t separate it. Thanks in advance.
You just have to work at it a little bit at a time and use some plastic tools or some plastic spoons and knives to pry it apart and keep it apart

For the OP how do you replace that fuse in the mirror tap kit ?
      01-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #8
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayemthree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeside View Post
What did you use to pry the outer plastic housing off. I've tried multiple tools and can't separate it. Thanks in advance.
You just have to work at it a little bit at a time and use some plastic tools or some plastic spoons and knives to pry it apart and keep it apart

For the OP how do you replace that fuse in the mirror tap kit ?
Unless you love a do it yourself hassle, ask a techy at the dealer to install it for you. My guy did it in 10 minutes tops and fits and works perfecto. He even took a pic of the part I needed from Amazon.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #9
Juris
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X-3 M40i Alpine White 2019

Very helpful post, DST! Would you recommend using your procedure to run a Thinkware front Dashcam (instead of a radar detector)? Thanks!

Last edited by Juris; 01-15-2020 at 04:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:41 PM   #10
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

I completed mine today. It just takes time to get the clam shell apart. Also tapped down gently on the mirror to get it off. I bent the tap part on the ground to get it to fit more snug. The clamshell goes back on rally easy. Done
      01-20-2020, 01:20 PM   #11
kyle98927
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Completed mine today as well. Ended up getting getting the MT-4015 which I believe is specific to my M40i. Others are correct, getting the secondary plastic is a massive PITA.

My car ended up having the same wiring with the exception of two yellow wires to the left of the brown. I still used the brown for ground and green/brown on far right for power. The pins that came with the MT-4015 were a bit tough to get in and ultimately I still had 4-5 mm of that would not go all the way into the harness but it felt secure and secured more with zip ties.

I went with a hole in the plastic towards the front of the windshield since it meant I don't see it everyday. Worked out well since the black plastic on the windshield covers it from the outside.

All in all easy to set up and really appreciate everyone in this thread who offered help!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DonSylver213.00
      01-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Holy crap.. that adapter is crazy expensive. A regular old phone line and some soldering skills would work just as good for under $4.

Thanks for the photos, good stuff.

I was wondering if the location where you plugged in to shuts off when the car is shut down? I always worry that the V1 would stay on when sitting in the garage. I've been meaning to bring out my multimeter to figure out which ports work.

Last edited by Rhidium; 01-24-2020 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:00 PM   #13
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Just thought to mention that this is a more economical version if you don't want to build your own..

Radar Detector 12" Mirror Plug Wire Tap

Looks like it gives you 2 pairs plugs on the cable, large and small. Likely have to cut or tape up the side you don't use to avoid shorts.. but it's way cheaper that that MirrorTap brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Found a cheaper one on eBay.. may try to buy this one and see if it works.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V1-VALENTIN...wAAOSwUV9WmxTs
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 06:39 AM   #15
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Anyone try this and have success in the x3m? The slots that were tapped in here I used and don't get the power for my uniden r3b. Just wondering is anyone tried different placement of taps.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #16
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

This is great. Thanks OP! I had mirrortap on E92 M3 with Uniden R3 mounted like yours and now will do this with X3M.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #17
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I've popped off the outer plastic cover which was pretty easy.. but I'm a bit freaked out about prying and breaking the next part of disassembly. Do you have a photo of where the clip assemblies are located so I know where I should pry. I have a whole tool set for prying molding plugs, and other tools to take apart phones, but force it in the wrong location, I don't want to break a clip and later have to fix it.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2020, 08:22 PM   #18
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

I just did my wiring. Took my time (45 min) and used plastic pry tools. I recommend setting up the detector with wire attached in your desired location before running the wire to taps so you can see how it needs to be positioned. I bought the 15" line because the wire loops over top of my detector, positioned at left of mirror.

The plastic pieces come apart without too much drama but you definitely have to do some prying. Before reinstalling the clamshell, play around with it in your hand and pay attention to how it inserts at top of windshield.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #19
jeffd4d
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3 M40i

Signal noise on V1

I installed mine yesterday, but it seems that the Valentine One is picking up on some random BMW generated signals. I'm not sure where to start looking in order to get this rectified. Any clues?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:44 PM   #20
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffd4d View Post
I installed mine yesterday, but it seems that the Valentine One is picking up on some random BMW generated signals. I'm not sure where to start looking in order to get this rectified. Any clues?
Are you getting false laser warnings? My V1 did the same and would not shut up until I shut laser off.

I'm debating getting another detector which does not have this issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #21
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep

Here is some info on this issue with laser going off. It is caused by the gesture control. Super annoying but can be stopped thorough physical means. You need to cover a specific spot with some material that will block out the signal.. This video will show where I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STus56YAo0

I don't want to turn off laser since I know that the police in my area use it frequently. I suppose another method is to block out the read laser sensor on the V1.. since likely I'll get hit from the front.

I still haven't installed mine. Still contemplating how to take off the mirror without breaking brackets. Bit nervous about just pulling on it hard.

Last edited by Rhidium; 05-05-2020 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #22
spta97
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Here is some info on this issue with laser going off. It is caused by the gesture control. Super annoying but can be stopped thorough physical means. You need to cover a specific spot with some material that will block out the signal.. This video will show where I'm talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7STus56YAo0

I don't want to turn off laser since I know that the police in my area use it frequently. I suppose another method is to block out the read laser sensor on the V1.. since likely I'll get hit from the front.

I still haven't installed mine. Still contemplating how to take off the mirror without breaking brackets. Bit nervous about just pulling on it hard.
Awesome - thanks! Any thoughts on a solution to block that doesn't look like crap?

As far as the radar, consider using these instructions rather than the mirror tap. The mirror contains a bunch of stuff that can easily break:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1667901
Appreciate 0