BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2019, 05:28 AM   #1
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

Can't set my clock

My car is a 2012 with the CIC head unit with navigation. When I go to the time settings page, I'm unable to set the time. The clock itself is functional and displays in the cluster and elsewhere. Basically

Time Zone: I can set
Time: appears as dashes and can't be adjusted
Time Format: I can set
Date: appears as grayed out dashes
Date Format: I can set

Anyone seen this before? Is there a setting, either in UI or coding, that tells the system to get the time/date from another source like the NAV?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
sgt3966
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 Z4 & 2016 X3

My 2016 did it automatically. We just went to daylight savings time and saw it did it by itself.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Does your 2016 show the same lack of options? Unfortunately, mine is now showing the wrong time. Of course your 2016 would have the NBT unit while I have the older CIC.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardodn View Post
My car is a 2012 with the CIC head unit with navigation. When I go to the time settings page, I'm unable to set the time. The clock itself is functional and displays in the cluster and elsewhere. Basically

Time Zone: I can set
Time: appears as dashes and can't be adjusted
Time Format: I can set
Date: appears as grayed out dashes
Date Format: I can set

Anyone seen this before? Is there a setting, either in UI or coding, that tells the system to get the time/date from another source like the NAV?

Thanks
So when you go into SETTINGS...then click on TIME/DATE....when the screen appears that allows you to adjust time and date etc...when you scroll down to TIME and PRESS the iDrive controller...the "hour" in the display doesn't turn RED to let you know that you can turn the iDrive controller dial to adjust the hour?

If it does, then press the iDrive controller again and the "minute" in the display should turn from white to red...again, adjust the minute by turning the iDrive controller dial.

The same can be done to set the date...scroll down to DATE, then press the controller.

I apologize if you've already done this...but it wasn't really clear as to what steps or procedures you performed. I've seen some owners try to set the time and date by using the BC button on the end of their turn indicator stalk...but this was after a back and forth where they just wrote that they "tried to adjust"...but didn't indicate if they were using the iDrive controller knob.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-14-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 06:15 AM   #5
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
So when you go into SETTINGS...then click on TIME/DATE....when the screen appears that allows you to adjust time and date etc...when you scroll down to TIME and PRESS the iDrive controller...the "hour" in the display doesn't turn RED to let you know that you can turn the iDrive controller dial to adjust the hour?
Correct. No time is actually displayed (dashes) and pressing the button does not go into 'set' mode.

I appreciate the response, but I've been through the simple case. I'm actually thinking that somewhere I saw a coding option to set time from nav system. That may be what is going on here. I wish I could remember where I saw it.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:22 AM   #6
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think I may have found the setting. I'll have to look into it this weekend.

KOMBI 3000 GPS_UHR (Intended for HU_CIC cars) aktiv nicht_aktiv Sets the clock via GPS signal. (Needs the clock to be within 2 min. of the GPS time)

If this is actually set, it might explain my issue. Clock is about 2 minutes (and an hour) off.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 03:10 PM   #7
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A quick follow up. I checked the coding for this and it was indeed active. I turned it off and applied the coding change. The cluster immediately asked for me to set time and date. Following the typical procedures for setting the time through the settings menu worked as expected. I may turn it back on at some point just to see what happens. But for now I'm content to adjust it manually.
Appreciate 0