BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-07-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335i XDrive 6mt / e83 X3

I bought an X3 yesterday!

*Current 2015 335i 6mt owner*
Looked at an 05 x3 3.0 Saturday for my lady who will be commuting from NY-NJ daily along with our 2 yr old daughter. Needed something safe, yet more tasteful than a RAV-4 (nothing against toyota). Took it on a test drive and before we could get out of the lot the triage of cluster lights came on(transfer case actuator and/or gear issue) so I brought it right back. Continued my search until I found a pretty decently priced($5,200) 07 X3 3.0 si with 117,000 for sale in Jersey. Interior was in good-fair condition which was a selling point for me. Not to mention the vehicle averaged less than 10,000 miles a year being that its an 07. After a test drive and visual inspection we came home with it.

I want to do some performance bolt on mods(intake and/or high flow filter, exhaust, etc) but the problem is there's very little info on mods for the e83x3 listed in the forum. I'm willing to spend a little money on the x3 to improve the performance and reliability.

FEW QUESTIONS...

1) What type of maintenance should I consider doing first before modding the vehicle? Im thinking front/rear diff fluid, transfer case fluid, power steering flush

2) Besides the transfer case and oil leaks issues these cars are cursed with, what should I be expecting to replace on this 117,000mile X3?

3) What performance mods are available for this N52B30 engine? correct me if I got the engine wrong
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
X3MS11.50
      01-07-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
Diaolos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #3
CanadaeastKTM
Rep
Drives: Soon to buy X3

Congrats on a sweet ride.
I have a new to me 07 mt X3 also and love the car.
Change the transfer case fluid regularly.
Buy a gear for the transfer case actuator motor so you can change that when it goes.
Check for usual oil leaks (valve cover and oil filter housing gasket).
Check driveshaft flex joints are tight.
There’s pretty decent documented fixes most
Of the common issues on forums and YouTube.
Starters seem to go also.
Not much performance mods I’ve heard
Of for these but I would stay away from too much mods to try and keep transfer case alive as long as possible.
All the best with the new ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:04 PM   #4
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaeastKTM View Post
Congrats on a sweet ride.
I have a new to me 07 mt X3 also and love the car.
Change the transfer case fluid regularly.
Buy a gear for the transfer case actuator motor so you can change that when it goes.
Check for usual oil leaks (valve cover and oil filter housing gasket).
Check driveshaft flex joints are tight.
There’s pretty decent documented fixes most
Of the common issues on forums and YouTube.
Starters seem to go also.
Not much performance mods I’ve heard
Of for these but I would stay away from too much mods to try and keep transfer case alive as long as possible.
All the best with the new ride!
Thanks for the response man I appreciate it

[/QUOTE] I would stay away from too much mods to try and keep transfer case alive as long as possible[/QUOTE]
"maintenance over mods"
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 12:35 PM   #5
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30NFifty5 View Post
Thanks for the response man I appreciate it
I would stay away from too much mods to try and keep transfer case alive as long as possible[/QUOTE]
"maintenance over mods"[/QUOTE]

I don't believe there is too much in terms of mods available. Matt at GSR (now HD Tuning) told me he could flash the N52 and add a bit of power but I haven't explored it since he told me.
      01-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #6
X3MS
MARANATHA!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3 M-Sport

As others have mentioned, you won't find much mod info on the N52. Though there has been internal projects of adding turbochargers to the N52, and achieving some serious gains. Afaik, none of them have been made into kits for consumers.

Gains if you have the money and know-how:

Appreciate 1
      01-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
I would stay away from too much mods to try and keep transfer case alive as long as possible
"maintenance over mods"[/QUOTE]

I don't believe there is too much in terms of mods available. Matt at GSR (now HD Tuning) told me he could flash the N52 and add a bit of power but I haven't explored it since he told me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the N52 platform doesn't seem too promising. I guess ill just improve the ride quality and reliability of the car for now. I guess not everything is meant to be a race car...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F30NFifty5 View Post
"maintenance over mods"
I don't believe there is too much in terms of mods available. Matt at GSR (now HD Tuning) told me he could flash the N52 and add a bit of power but I haven't explored it since he told me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the N52 platform doesn't seem too promising. I guess ill just improve the ride quality and reliability of the car for now. I guess not everything is meant to be a race car... [/QUOTE]

LOL..its a big heavy truck. I'm tempted to have him DME flash it but I just don't have the time plus my wife drives it and doesn't need more power to get into trouble with lol.
      02-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #9
Agua305x
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

There is few basic mods available. Intake/exhaust/tune ... I'm sure the gains are not that big that would compromise reliability. They are pricey thou, I couldn't justify the cost so I stayed away ... for now
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #10
wintermutt
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Awesome. I am on this forum to sell my 2005 X3. Have owned it since 2006, it is in XLNT condition. Please direct me to whichever part of this forum to sell it. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #11
F30NFifty5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermutt View Post
Awesome. I am on this forum to sell my 2005 X3. Have owned it since 2006, it is in XLNT condition. Please direct me to whichever part of this forum to sell it. Thank you.
Click on the X3/X4 option at the top right of the website.. the 4th forum option that appears is where users put items or vehicles up for sale.. it's labeled as...

"Vendors Classifieds For BMW X3 / X4 (G01 / G02)"

The X3 forum for our generation is kind of dead on this site... i'd also suggest you post on Facebook Marketplace.. it'll sell quicker on there.
Appreciate 0