BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-18-2018, 03:17 PM   #23
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
I had a nov '18 production g01.
Seats where fine.

Traded her in for an x4 last week. This new seats suck. Dead serious I can't get comfortable.

Will continue to tweak the seat
How could you have a nov ‘18, that’s next month!?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:19 PM   #24
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I think they meant it’s a 18 model built in Nov of 17.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #25
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I think they meant it’s a 18 model built in Nov of 17.
Yea exactly .

Apologies since that could have been more clear.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #26
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciga18 View Post
Yea exactly .

Apologies since that could have been more clear.
Ah you meant it’s a Nov MY18!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #27
Viper450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Yes I have the same issue on my 18. The right bolster literally feels like it sticking out much more than the left and I keep trying to shift left, very annoying and not sure what to do yet but it's definitely uncomfortable.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 05:52 PM   #28
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

My seats are ok for a short trip (<2hr), and get uncomfortable on the bottom beyond 2 hr. Currently carrying a back packing seat pad for longer trips. Another thing that I’ve noticed: as I switch between my wife’s car (2018 Acura RDX) and my 2018 X3 M40i, is that I feel a bit off centered (to the right) as I get behind the wheel of my X3? Anyone else notice that? Really feels awkward. Mine was built in April of 2018, and the attached photo shows a tag; have no idea who the mfg is.
Attached Images

2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 04:00 PM   #29
Goose619
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Yup my back seats and front seats have loose leather. Also my passenger door light is unevenly lit. My car is about a month old. Should I go bother the dealer about it?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 06:11 PM   #30
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

I just picked up my 2019 with ventilated seats. They are softer than the ventilated in my 2018. This is a welcome change.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:54 PM   #31
Goose619
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Yeah I have the ventilated seats. They have extra coushion on them! An actual upgrade from seats without it.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:07 AM   #32
welko
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Uncomfortable seat on right-side of driver seat

I have discomfort after a 2h drive on the right side of my buttocks. Keep on searching and shifting for a better position. BMW informed me the problem is unknown, but I read posts here that describe exactly the same issue.
I went to a car leather shop already twice: once to remove the leather flap because it’s exactly under my bottom cheek giving pressure. Second time they added additional foam to soften the seat, but still: after 2 hours I begin to feel pressure pain. It’s not skin irritation due to leather seams, it’s because of the small amount of pressure. No problem driving 1h, but painfull during long rides. I have a cushion for long rides but do not consider that as a permanent solution. I had a 5 series F11 before and never had any problems. Not even after a 10h drive!
I have leather vernasca cognac sport seats without ventilation. The car leather shop could replace the leather part of the bottom seat with different stitching, but the vernasca leather is new and not yet available on the aftermarket. Could take up to 1 year of waiting. I’m happy about this car, but the joy is overclouded by this issue.. if someone solved it or knows the root cause, I would be happy to hear about it!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 10:21 AM   #33
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by welko View Post
I have discomfort after a 2h drive on the right side of my buttocks. Keep on searching and shifting for a better position. BMW informed me the problem is unknown, but I read posts here that describe exactly the same issue.
I went to a car leather shop already twice: once to remove the leather flap because it’s exactly under my bottom cheek giving pressure. Second time they added additional foam to soften the seat, but still: after 2 hours I begin to feel pressure pain. It’s not skin irritation due to leather seams, it’s because of the small amount of pressure. No problem driving 1h, but painfull during long rides. I have a cushion for long rides but do not consider that as a permanent solution. I had a 5 series F11 before and never had any problems. Not even after a 10h drive!
I have leather vernasca cognac sport seats without ventilation. The car leather shop could replace the leather part of the bottom seat with different stitching, but the vernasca leather is new and not yet available on the aftermarket. Could take up to 1 year of waiting. I’m happy about this car, but the joy is overclouded by this issue.. if someone solved it or knows the root cause, I would be happy to hear about it!
I think my pain is caused more by how narrow the seats are. Unless I sit with my legs together they are actually on the side bolsters which is just horrible. I may end up getting rid of the car only because of the seats.
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #34
afshawnt
Banned
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I think my pain is caused more by how narrow the seats are. Unless I sit with my legs together they are actually on the side bolsters which is just horrible. I may end up getting rid of the car only because of the seats.
You are correct in how narrow they are. I had an F80 M3 and an M2. Both of those seemed wider in the seat bottoms.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 10:37 AM   #35
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
You guys have a car made before the seat manufacturer change? I remember when I test drove the car in January, the seats were indeed narrow in the bottom side. My car was made in August a I believe the seats are wider there now.
      12-13-2018, 01:08 PM   #36
afshawnt
Banned
Rep
Drives: Too Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
You guys have a car made before the seat manufacturer change? I remember when I test drove the car in January, the seats were indeed narrow in the bottom side. My car was made in August a I believe the seats are wider there now.
No. I am speaking in reference to the newest seats. Car rolled off the assembly line on December 4th.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2018, 02:24 PM   #37
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

I thought i just needed to get used to the new car and higher seating position then i see this thread. I have had two 3GT's a 5 series and a 3 sedan and never felt this discomfort. I feel like its off center and my left leg is hanging off the bolster. I keep trying playing around to get a decent position but cant find one. Its a 2019 M40 non ventilated seats built in Oct. I have about 500 miles now so pretty much new. I havent been a long drive yet but those are coming in the next few weeks and hoping it starts to feel better. Otherwise the car drives great.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #38
Hispeed4fun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I'm not comfortable in my X3 M40i seat either. The top (back part) of the seat is comfortable. However, the left thigh bolster is putting a lot of pressure on my left thigh and buttock. I find myself consciously trying to slide over to the right part of the seat, but then my right back is up against the right back bolster and that's not comfortable either.

I'm hoping the left thigh bolster will soften up somewhat and adapt to my butt/thigh. Anyone else having this issue?
Same issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:52 PM   #39
aw088817
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
Quote:
I'm not comfortable in my X3 M40i seat either. The top (back part) of the seat is comfortable. However, the left thigh bolster is putting a lot of pressure on my left thigh and buttock. I find myself consciously trying to slide over to the right part of the seat, but then my right back is up against the right back bolster and that's not comfortable either.

I'm hoping the left thigh bolster will soften up somewhat and adapt to my butt/thigh. Anyone else having this issue?
Same issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hispeed4fun View Post
Quote:

Same issue.
Exact same issue car is oct 2017. The seats are so bad. Just buying my time but long trips are painful.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #40
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Seat manufacturer for the X3 is still Lear. So that hasn't changed.
New manufacturer for the 2019 G05 X5 seats are MAGA.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 01:40 AM   #41
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvos are boring View Post
around May 2018
Looks like they went from Lear to Magna International. I do have to say the seats in my current M40i were comfortable for the first 6 months, but since then, I can't get really comfortable (backrest) in them.
Quote:
Quote:
It was yours words, that the manufacturer has changed. :
      12-14-2018, 07:07 PM   #42
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
It was yours words, that the manufacturer has changed. :
I realize that. That's what I initially read back then. Later discovered that the new seat mfg (MAGA) would start with the new X5. I even looked under the seat of my 2019 X3 and it indeed is still made by Lear. No doubt it may stay the same till a new X3 redesign or when the contract expires.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 07:15 PM   #43
Tex94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i, Carbon Black

Garage List
Well, I always thought the seat discomfort was due to my having the ventilated ones but now hearing all of the discussions about the non-ventilated seats makes me assume they are all bad. Seat narrowness is my number one complaint about them too. But other complaints include not enough shoulder support (the ventilated option looks narrower up top) and not great lumbar support either (can’t raise the balloon high enough).
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 09:18 PM   #44
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Damn, does anybody find the seats to be comfortable?
Appreciate 0