BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-05-2019, 10:20 AM   #705
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjhay View Post
Unfortunately it seems to be every man for himself on this issue. I don't believe BMW NA has yet to log this issue in their database as a known issue, despite the obvious number of cars and owners experiencing the issue. There's a handful of us on here who have now had their cars fixed. Expect a fight at the dealer. Took me 4 visits, test drives with 2 shop foremen, service manager and field test engineer before i finally got through to them. Be persistent and start with the service manager. Let him know you know of other owners with the same issue that have had the fix. If you get nowhere have the service manager call one of the other dealers that have provided the fix. I had mine call Toronto which helped.
Thanks for the suggestions; will be bringing my car in for its first scheduled service and will finally try to address this problem with the dealer. Does it matter if you go to the dealer you purchased the car from versus another one? I bought mine in VA so it's quite a drive versus more local options. If I have to keep returning, I'd much rather go a closer one.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 11:24 AM   #706
M40iG01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018-X3 M40i

Hi All.
so my output shafts were replaced when my x3 had 13000kms and it now has 28000kms. so around 15000kms later and I have been gradually feeling vibration come back but have been ignoring it. It is now got to the point that I have booked the service appt as the replaced shafts are going to have to be replaced again. Think it's safe to say the replacment is not the fix. This is a sad thing as I still have 2 years to put up with this BS.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      03-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #707
andrewjhay
Rep
Drives: X3m40i

It doesn't matter which dealer you take it to
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      03-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #708
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 40i

Hey M40i-sorry to hear that the problem has returned-if it is any help, you are not making it up and you are not alone-from everything I have read and experienced I don't believe BMW knows what is going on-I believe that BMW is taking the low road and claiming we are all crazy and-or just complainers-this is their plea to cover up the fact that they cannot come up with a fix at this point-blame it on the victim-very common story line when confused-just stay honest with yourself
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #709
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Has any one had new positive or negative responses with regard to new rear axles or any other news-I am still waiting to hear back from the mother ship on where we are going next-my vibrations have been steady in there return-as the miles continue to rise the vibrations have gotten worse-atroughly 4000 miles since new axles
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2019, 06:57 PM   #710
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Well I thought I was getting somewhere about a month ago, but apparently not.

I initially got my dealer service rep and the tech to replicate the issue, which they didn't have a solve so got a field rep involved. The field rep initially acknowledged the issue, and was supposedly going back to corporate for solutions. After 2 weeks they told me to pick up the car first (presumably so I'm not in the shop long enough for lemon law).

Few week goes by, still nothing as I keep checking in with my service rep. I then send emails to corporate about the issue. A week later, a lady from customer relations (there was the word 'executive' in there somewhere in her title) calls me and tells me that the car is PERFORMING AS DESIGNED and 'operating normally'. I went back and forth with her on the phone but she flat out told me BMW will not be doing anything about it as there 'is no issue'. She told me if I didn't like the vehicle I can trade it in for something else.

Honestly I'm pretty furious at this point, as I even have my service receipt stating that they will looking further into it (which I forwarded to the customer relations rep). I went ahead and filed a BBB complaint, not that it will do much but at least it's on file. 2 weeks later, the same lady calls me and left me a voicemail repeating the same thing.

Seems like BMW is screwing us over on this one and there's no help at all, probably unless we all complain together or take legal action.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      03-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #711
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

That seems to be the new direction for BMW on this problem-make believe that we are all creating this issue in our minds-funny this is after their top people also felt the vibrations and purchased cars back to test and pull apart-BMW is trying to get us to give up and go away-they will have to take care of the noisey gears,so keep making noise -keep bringing the car in until they fix it or offer you the correct deal- if we give up we are playing into their hands-we payed good money for our cars and it is only right that we get what we payed for!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 08:41 PM   #712
aclockwrk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3 6spd

I'm currently at 29,600 miles and about 7,500 miles since the shafts were replaced. It has not gotten worse but i do feel some vibration. It's nowhere near as bad as when I took it in for the initial problem but it just doesn't feel right. There should be NO vibration coming from that area. Something has to be not lined up properly causing this wobbling.

I feel dealers are just part swappers and they really don't do anything proactive unless they get permission from BMW Corporate.
I would love to keep the car past warranty but if this continues and the shafts need to be replaced again I may just dump the car and take a big hit financially since i put a lot of miles.
For people getting the runaround, try other nearby dealers and call the 800 number to complain. Make sure they log your issue so there's a history of the issue.
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      03-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #713
BMWVic
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewjhay View Post
Unfortunately it seems to be every man for himself on this issue. I don't believe BMW NA has yet to log this issue in their database as a known issue, despite the obvious number of cars and owners experiencing the issue. There's a handful of us on here who have now had their cars fixed. Expect a fight at the dealer. Took me 4 visits, test drives with 2 shop foremen, service manager and field test engineer before i finally got through to them. Be persistent and start with the service manager. Let him know you know of other owners with the same issue that have had the fix. If you get nowhere have the service manager call one of the other dealers that have provided the fix. I had mine call Toronto which helped.
Thanks for the support. I'm going in this coming Tuesday to meet with the Service manager and another test drive. This is a different dealership and my 3rd try at demonstrating the problem. I have provided other PUMA report numbers but they say they cannot look at the other reports and their fixes. I don't see why not since it's all proof the problem exists. Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #714
vpm40idriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Hello everyone - thank you for sharing your insights and experiences here. Really helped me gain the knowledge I needed going into this hellish experience. I literally just signed up for this forum so I can offer my experience here as well.

We signed and I took possession of the vehicle on 2/13/19 - 2019 X3 M40i, adaptive M suspension with 21inch wheels.

So around 2-300 miles within the next few days I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel similar to that described in this thread. Thinking perhaps I needed to let the engine break in a bit. At around 400 miles I set up a service appointment (typically with a loaner 7-10 days in advance). They found that one of the rear tires had flat spotting from sitting on the lot for long given they are summer tires. They replaced the tire which they had to order balanced and then returned back to me.

The vibration was still present, now more of a shudder in the pedal and wheel from around 65 all the way to 80 mph progressively getting worse)- I drove the vehicle a week to determine this and requested for an emergency service appointment. Additionally the whole TPS system was malfunctioning and a tinny/rattling sound from the tail pipe had developed prior to my second appointment.

I test drove with the foreman who determined all items were valid. They submitted a case to BMW who then determined the rear output shafts/axles needed to be replaced. After a new TPS sensor and axles replaced the car was returned (on a friday). Once I hit the highway on Monday the vibration seemed to be still present but at a different speed band (65 to 75). This morning test drove with the foreman and acknowledged on 4/1/19 as still valid so dropped it off for the third time. They test drove different X3 M40is and concluded that the problem persisted with all of them so they signed up to have a TFE/field tech look at it on 4/17/19.

In summary:

First service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 2/28/19 - 3/7/19 - Vibration on steering wheel; noted flat spotted tire which was replaced.

Second service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 3/18/19 - 3/22/19 - TPS malfunctioned, exhaust vibrating noise, and shudder/vibration issue still persists; TPS and exhaust fixed, rear axles replaced

Third service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 4/1/19 - 4/3/19 - shuddering/vibration on steering wheel still present. Diagnosed by multiple shop foreman/service manager with 3 different vehicles and concluded a TFE or a field rep will be examining on 4/17/19.

Love this car but painful experience in the first two months of ownership - having owned 2 other BMWs since 2010.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 04:50 PM   #715
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm40idriver View Post
Hello everyone - thank you for sharing your insights and experiences here. Really helped me gain the knowledge I needed going into this hellish experience. I literally just signed up for this forum so I can offer my experience here as well.

We signed and I took possession of the vehicle on 2/13/19 - 2019 X3 M40i, adaptive M suspension with 21inch wheels.

So around 2-300 miles within the next few days I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel similar to that described in this thread. Thinking perhaps I needed to let the engine break in a bit. At around 400 miles I set up a service appointment (typically with a loaner 7-10 days in advance). They found that one of the rear tires had flat spotting from sitting on the lot for long given they are summer tires. They replaced the tire which they had to order balanced and then returned back to me.

The vibration was still present, now more of a shudder in the pedal and wheel from around 65 all the way to 80 mph progressively getting worse)- I drove the vehicle a week to determine this and requested for an emergency service appointment. Additionally the whole TPS system was malfunctioning and a tinny/rattling sound from the tail pipe had developed prior to my second appointment.

I test drove with the foreman who determined all items were valid. They submitted a case to BMW who then determined the rear output shafts/axles needed to be replaced. After a new TPS sensor and axles replaced the car was returned (on a friday). Once I hit the highway on Monday the vibration seemed to be still present but at a different speed band (65 to 75). This morning test drove with the foreman and acknowledged on 4/1/19 as still valid so dropped it off for the third time. They test drove different X3 M40is and concluded that the problem persisted with all of them so they signed up to have a TFE/field tech look at it on 4/17/19.

In summary:

First service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 2/28/19 - 3/7/19 - Vibration on steering wheel; noted flat spotted tire which was replaced.

Second service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 3/18/19 - 3/22/19 - TPS malfunctioned, exhaust vibrating noise, and shudder/vibration issue still persists; TPS and exhaust fixed, rear axles replaced

Third service appointment (drop off - pick up date): 4/1/19 - 4/3/19 - shuddering/vibration on steering wheel still present. Diagnosed by multiple shop foreman/service manager with 3 different vehicles and concluded a TFE or a field rep will be examining on 4/17/19.

Love this car but painful experience in the first two months of ownership - having owned 2 other BMWs since 2010.
This is the first 2019 model I've heard of this happening on.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #716
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpm40idriver View Post

In summary:

Sorry about your experience. Hope it will get sorted out soon.

So, just to confirm - your car is not the only car with this issue, but all several cars you tested with the service department foreman at dealer's lot did the same thing?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #717
vpm40idriver
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Sorry about your experience. Hope it will get sorted out soon.

So, just to confirm - your car is not the only car with this issue, but all several cars you tested with the service department foreman at dealer's lot did the same thing?

I personally have not driven any other vehicle - 2 shop foreman drove 2-3 other vehicles after I brought it in the third time noting similar experiences of vibration. Described as driving on rumble strips on a highway. It was confirmed that one other 2019 X3 M40i has also had rear axles replaced. At that point they asked me to bring it back in for the TFE to further examine it.

Interestingly enough when I was waiting to hear next steps after dropping it off a third time I got a call from BMW NA to inquire about my experience with the X3 at which point I described in great detail what I have shared with you here. Within 24 hours I was assigned a case manager who touched base with me - in short we're waiting to see with the field rep has to say then go from there.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 02:44 PM   #718
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Ugh! That’s what I’m thinking after reading this whole thread. I am about to move from a 2011 X3 35i that I love, into a 2019 X3 M40i. At least I was until reading all your posts. I had a vibration issue right after buying my X3 and it drove me nuts because it was most prominent right at the speed I drove at. Read my story below if you want to, turned out not to be drive shafts on my car.

It seems from reading your posts, people are getting their rear output shafts/axles replaced. Can someone post the specific part numbers that are being replaced by BMW that solves the issue? i.e.: takes the vibration away, even if only for a few thousand miles. I need to do some research before opening my wallet for the M40i.

Here’s my vibration story, for what its worth.. ..

Timeline = all in 2014

April 7: Tire mileage: 0 Dealer installed new Pirelli P Zeros when I bought the car as a CPO.

May 2: Tire mileage 907 Brought car to local dealer for vibration felt via the seat and steering wheel from 60mph to 75mph.
- They said they found some play in the yoke of the front drive shaft and ordered a new driveshaft.

May 11: Tire mileage 1,971 Vibration persists. Brought the car in for the front driveshaft replacement. On the way home from the dealer, the same vibration was felt at the same speed range, nothing had changed.

May 16: Tire mileage 2,409 Vibration persists. Brought car to dealer for vibration felt via the seat and steering wheel from 60mph to 75mph.
- Dealer confirmed vibration at and above 65mph. Removed all wheels, found that two were 29 grams out of balance and two were 30 grams out of balance. Rebalanced and road tested but vibration persisted. They ordered the rear driveshaft this time.

July 22: Tire mileage 2,590 Vibration persists. Brought the car in for the rear driveshaft replacement. They also said they found that the Ujoint at the rear driveshaft was binding. On the way home from the dealer, the same vibration was felt at the same speed range, nothing had changed.

Aug 25: Tire mileage 3,006 Vibration persists. Brought the car back to the dealership for the same vibration issue for the third time. The dealer wrote…”Diagnose vehicle vibration. Car here multiple times for vibration concern. We balanced the tires 2 or 3 times, replaced both driveshafts with no improvement. This time we took a tire and wheel package from another vehicle and drove the vehicle to 85mph. There was no vibration, the wheels are straight, so suspect the tires to be the cause of the vibration”

Ok, so to get to this point took three months. During my first visit to complain, I asked them to put a diff set of wheels/tires on but they refused, they also refused the second time I brought it in. They finally did it the third time after replacing two drive shaft and other related work. They said I needed new tires even though mine only had 3,006 miles on them. They made an attempt to contact Pirelli but nothing came of it and the dealer said they were done with the issue. This was my local dealer but not the dealer I bought the car from.

Oct 16: Tire mileage: 5,000 I went back to the dealer I bought the car from, they found:
- front tires were cupped significantly and were very noisy at only 5,000 miles
- one rear wheel could not be balanced, Staggered set on this car, cannot rotate tires.

They replaced all four P Zero’s and one rear wheel at no charge. I drove the car home, a couple hundred miles, no vibration! pulled those new P Zero’s and replaced them with Continentals, stored the P Zero’s under my bench.

Problem gone!

Now, here we are five years later and the car has been rock steady and glass smooth with the Continentals. However, they are now pretty worn and I’m about to drive on a 3,000+ mile trip so I pulled the P Zero’s out from under the bench and put them on the car, topped up with air and took off for the trip. They performed perfectly for the entire trip. So, what was wrong? The first set of P Zero’s caused quite a vibration and noise issue starting at 907 miles. This set is running strong now at around 3,500 miles and counting.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      04-13-2019, 08:14 AM   #719
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Haven't heard back from anyone, thought I'd post a pic where people can simply say the number that corresponds to the parts BMW is replacing that solves the vibe issue.

Might also be interesting to know if different dealers are replacing different parts when owners are finding the vibe issue gone. A couple examples might be where replacing #4 does the trick yet another person might say #5,6 & 7 had to be replaced before the issue was gone.

Do we think BMW has a handle on the root cause or are dealers shotgunning it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:01 PM   #720
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Dealers are not allowed to shotgun repairs-all cases of cars under warranty are submitted to a specific number and then the car is approved for repairs based on the problem entered- parts ordered and then installed-if that doesn't fix it -it is then moved to the next possible fix and down the line-this way BMW controls the warranty costs-usually cheapest fix first-
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #721
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for highlighting that Mocon, perhaps the wrong choice of words. I've been reading about this issue on different sites and it appears some cars get part A replaced while others get part B replaced, etc. Initially, it appears fixed but then some claim the issue returns after several thousand miles.

That's why I'm asking those who have had parts replaced and, at least initially, the vibe goes away, what parts are being replaced.

If you brought your car to the dealer for a certain symptom, vibration in this case, do you believe they query their national system before diagnosing and ordering a replacement part?
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #722
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I do not believe they check the national system-they enter the symptoms into the system that oversea's warranty issues and the BMW controls put in place- (PUMA) tells them what parts they need and in what order to proceed-if you read further back in the blog you will see where people have tried to guide the dealership to check past problems at other dealers that are the same and the dealer ignores them and just goes thru their system by the book-the differences in procedure is usually because of our difference in explaining what we are experiencing-feedback from the car-my guy was good enough to contact the Toronto dealership and find out what they did and then he asked the system if he could proceed along those lines-I had the rear axles replaced and the vibrations have been coming back as I put more mileage on the car-I had the repair done at 3500 miles roughly and I am currently at around 7000 miles and getting worse
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #723
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

From your explanation, it brings back memories of my vibration issue and how my local dealer dealt with it (or not as the case was). Well, reading your story saddens me and I'm sure your not a happy camper if every 3500 miles you know what you have to look forward to. I just test drove the M40i, loved it.

I see you're in Clearwater. I just came back from a couple months staying w/family in New Port Richey. I took my X3 to Ferman on 19 for its brake fluid flush, oil change. They gave me a 2019 X3 30i as a service loaner, I headed to Luekens to stock up and they all laughed when I returned the loaner and had to unload the stash into my car. They wanted to help me, I think they wanted to see what I bought
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #724
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I had a 2014 x3 35i m-sport-with a dinan tune-27,000 miles when I traded her in -Jan.24,2019-could kick myself in the ass at this point-within weeks of driving my new x3 I knew that something was wrong and brought it in to Fermans on Feb.14-it has been a nightmare ever since-the people at the dealer have been mostly great-BMW as a corporation has been terrible to us and most people with this issue-lets hope Karma really does work
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 09:36 PM   #725
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Karma? Hi,my hame is Earl

I was at Ferman on the 7th. Do you know if anyone has a theory on root cause?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 11:18 AM   #726
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

The shop foreman at Fermans thought it was a design issue-new model-new engine-all-wheel drive-the vibrations always were present when car was under load
Appreciate 0