BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #23
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Yeah, I have yet to trust it since it gives me the audible warning before it brakes and is getting pretty close! Is that normal? This is usually in stop and go (which is just “cruise control” on our vehicle) where it hasn’t seen what I see clearly, the rapid situation developing ahead of us. It’s like if I don’t brake it either has to do it or I’m out of room. Kind of the reverse of our lane assist where the green lines drop away with no audible warning at all. Almost like maybe part of my “plus” package is not working?

What exactly is the lane departure warning in the non “plus” package? No correction just vibration and audible? No button on the wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #24
edcrane
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
Yeah, I have yet to trust it since it gives me the audible warning before it brakes and is getting pretty close! Is that normal? This is usually in stop and go (which is just “cruise control” on our vehicle) where it hasn’t seen what I see clearly, the rapid situation developing ahead of us. It’s like if I don’t brake it either has to do it or I’m out of room. Kind of the reverse of our lane assist where the green lines drop away with no audible warning at all. Almost like maybe part of my “plus” package is not working?

What exactly is the lane departure warning in the non “plus” package? No correction just vibration and audible? No button on the wheel?
You’re saying that when you put on adaptive cruise control, it gives an audible warning when braking? I think that’s the emergency braking system, not the adaptive cruise control. ACC slows down/stops without any audible warning in my car, and it leaves plenty of space (even when follow distance is as short as possible and even in stop and go traffic). Maybe your system doesn’t quite work?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #25
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcrane View Post
You’re saying that when you put on adaptive cruise control, it gives an audible warning when braking? I think that’s the emergency braking system, not the adaptive cruise control. ACC slows down/stops without any audible warning in my car, and it leaves plenty of space (even when follow distance is as short as possible and even in stop and go traffic). Maybe your system doesn’t quite work?
It happened the other day and was braking fine in stop & go traffic. The traffic developed into higher speeds and the spacing increased. It missed the rapid slowing down and stopping of the traffic ahead. I was letting it do it’s thing but it got to an audible warning and I did not sense/feel any prebraking so I used my foot. I believe the green single bar and vehicle icon were visible at the time.

Sometimes the traffic ahead will surpass my speed setting and will have to be reaquired. That may have been the problem. Thanks Ed for making me think through it again.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 02-12-2018 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #26
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

http://autospies.com/news/Welcome-Th...-BMW-X4-95591/

REALLY annoying. BMW added all of the safety features as standard equipment in the '19 X4. My guess is that the '19 X3 will get the same upgrade. This should have been standard on the '18's.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 10:12 AM   #27
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update - added both Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages to my build. My wife said she cared about two things - price and safety, so addressed her second concern, it was bothering me. Car is ready for build, looking forward to it. These packages should be standard equipment, or at the very least blind spot detection and collision mitigation should be standard, those are the active safety features that seem most useful to me.
Appreciate 2
      02-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #28
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl View Post
http://autospies.com/news/Welcome-Th...-BMW-X4-95591/

REALLY annoying. BMW added all of the safety features as standard equipment in the '19 X4. My guess is that the '19 X3 will get the same upgrade. This should have been standard on the '18's.
The press release says they're available, not standard equipment.

Quote:
When it comes to driver assistance and semi-automated driving, all the systems currently offered by BMW are available
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 10:51 AM   #29
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep

From the press release:

Standard Active Guard – With Frontal Collison Warning, Automatic City Collision Mitigation and Braking including Daytime Pedestrian Detection, and Speed Limit Information.

The second generation Sports Activity Coupe offers a wide array of new standard safety features such as Active Protection which initiates protective measures when an accident situation is imminent such as belt tensioning and the closing of windows and moonroof to a small gap. Additionally, the standard Active Guard includes Frontal Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation with Braking, Pedestrian Warning with City Braking, and Speed Limit Information.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #30
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
From the press release:

Standard Active Guard – With Frontal Collison Warning, Automatic City Collision Mitigation and Braking including Daytime Pedestrian Detection, and Speed Limit Information.

The second generation Sports Activity Coupe offers a wide array of new standard safety features such as Active Protection which initiates protective measures when an accident situation is imminent such as belt tensioning and the closing of windows and moonroof to a small gap. Additionally, the standard Active Guard includes Frontal Collision Warning, City Collision Mitigation with Braking, Pedestrian Warning with City Braking, and Speed Limit Information.
The standard active guard is just a subset of what is currently included with the Driving Assistance Package. That's far from including all of the safety features available as standard equipment. It doesn't even include Active Blind Spot Detection or Lane Departure Warning.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 11:13 AM   #31
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Update - added both Driver Assistance and Driver Assistance Plus packages to my build. My wife said she cared about two things - price and safety, so addressed her second concern, it was bothering me. Car is ready for build, looking forward to it. These packages should be standard equipment, or at the very least blind spot detection and collision mitigation should be standard, those are the active safety features that seem most useful to me.
Glad you added them! I do feel that in today's really distracted world, having as many safety systems available at your disposal can only help.

And I completely agree with you on having them standard - it's almost criminal to charge for them.
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2018, 03:02 PM   #32
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

Dutch press release is stating that Driving Assistant Plus with Steering Assistant, Lane Control Assistant, as well as Lane Keeping Assistant with active side collision is optional on the new X4.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2018, 04:59 PM   #33
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Nice can never go wrong with safety. My bud is looking for x1, x2, neither have blind spot detection. Standard equip, from BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #34
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
ACC without A?

Is it possible to use ACC as a standard CC?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2018, 02:27 PM   #35
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Yes if you press and hold the two distance buttons
      02-16-2018, 02:57 AM   #36
crowdedhouse
Second Lieutenant
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2021 G20 330d mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keweenawbee View Post
huh?
Attached Images

02-16-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
Nitrium
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 2021 M50i

That’s so odd, I don’t have that in my online manual. Guess I can’t disable it in NA? I’ll try it later today when driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 09:59 AM   #38
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowdedhouse View Post
I have the lower left distance spacing button, but if you’re referring to the cruise speed control for the other button it does not depress like the one on the right hand side of the steering wheel (USA) that controls the HUD selection.

So no it doesn’t work.

Last edited by Keweenawbee; 02-16-2018 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:27 AM   #39
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I want to spec this option but wonder how reliably it works. My primary usage will be for creeping in start and stop traffic. Does the car come to a halt in a smooth and gradual way when a car in front stops in creeping traffic?

Last edited by Crassus; 03-22-2019 at 04:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 04:05 AM   #40
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I want to spec this option but wonder how reliably it works. My primary usage will be for creeping in start and stop traffic.
Works very well for me. Sometimes it hesitate to accelerate when slower vehicle in front of you change the lane.
      03-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #41
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I want to spec this option but wonder how reliably it works. My primary usage will be for creeping in start and stop traffic. Does the car come to a halt in a smooth and gradual way when a car in front stops in creeping traffic?
Depending on how abruptly the car in front of you stops. If it's a sudden stop, the distance between the cars shorten quickly, the X3 will stop the car accordingly.

In general, I found ACC works fairly well, but not as smooth as human can since I have the flexibility to vary the distance between my car and the car in front, rather than letting the computer of the car trying to maintain a 'fixed' distance that you set. So, I can opt to accelerate mildly even if the car in front picks up speed fast; but let the car cruise without braking hard when that distance shortens again when the traffic in front is slowing down quickly.
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      03-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #42
cgroves
Exalted Tire Scorcher
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i Graphite

Works great on the BMWs I've tried it on. Makes traffic jams much more bearable, I find I get less "wound up" when the car is dealing with the slow-down/speed-up cycle. Only issue is when a car turns off from in front of you the cruise control is a little slow beginning the acceleration. It waits till the lane is clear where a human driver would start accelerating earlier.
Appreciate 1
Crassus229.00
      03-24-2019, 02:26 PM   #43
Eulenspiegel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i; 1994 E34 530i

I thought I wouldn't use any type of adaptive cruise control but now find almost all of the safety features to be something I wouldn't want to be without.

Some complaints, though. I would like to be able to use iDrive or at least BimmerCode to default to ACC on (without it being engaged at a particular speed) and to have the option to set the speed at "speed limit" or, much better, speed limit plus an adjustable 10 MPH or 10% or something (with same variable control over the current iDrive speed warning). Also, default auto lane assist on and default following distance setting, along with better steering wheel or other warnings for lane departure warning.
1999 E39 540i
2011 F25 X3 XDrive35i
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2022, 07:00 PM   #44
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
I wish the ACC remembered the 1 bar setting instead of always having to reset it to 1 bar when using ACC the next time I restart the car. Even my old 2014 Grand Cherokee remembered the setting.
You can code the car and starts with 1 bar each time you set the cruise on 5AT. My g20 with 5AU remembers my last setup and i dont touch my distance setting.
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0