BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-20-2019, 07:32 PM   #1
jcorallo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Location of Manufacturing for BMW wheels

Does anyone know if BMW wheels are made in multiple countries? The set that came with my car says US in the back but the set I bought from a friend (same exact wheel but with the all seasons) says China in the back. The part that mounts onto the hub is ever so slightly different but the rest of the wheel is exactly the same. Codes and wording is also slightly different as far as font and placement. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #2
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
An awful lot of BMW wheels here in Europe are made in Italy, or have been in the past few decades...
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Update 03/22/2019: While my questions still apply, I happened to look at my optional spare today, and the wheel says China; so, I think it's definite that BMW is sourcing some wheels from China. Times change.

Do you know where your friend bought the wheels? Did he buy them from a BMW dealer? Did they come on his car when he bought it new? Were they represented as BMW wheels, or wheels for a BMW? Did he get a great deal on them? It's possible that BMW is sourcing wheels from China, but I'm skeptical.
You can look up the wheel you have on getbmwparts.com to get a good idea what real BMW wheels would cost new.

It's likely the parts guys at your dealer or at getbmwparts.com could tell you where the wheels are sourced from.

Last edited by calintexas; 03-22-2019 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: New Info
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
jcorallo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

He said these came off of his 2018 X3 M40i - they had the exact all seasons that BMW offers - sure as shit they are original BMW just weird that BMW parts are made in chaina. Thanks for the response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Update 03/22/2019: While my questions still apply, I happened to look at my optional spare today, and the wheel says China; so, I think it's definite that BMW is sourcing some wheels from China. Times change.

Do you know where your friend bought the wheels? Did he buy them from a BMW dealer? Did they come on his car when he bought it new? Were they represented as BMW wheels, or wheels for a BMW? Did he get a great deal on them? It's possible that BMW is sourcing wheels from China, but I'm skeptical.
You can look up the wheel you have on getbmwparts.com to get a good idea what real BMW wheels would cost new.

It's likely the parts guys at your dealer or at getbmwparts.com could tell you where the wheels are sourced from.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcorallo View Post
He said these came off of his 2018 X3 M40i - they had the exact all seasons that BMW offers - sure as shit they are original BMW just weird that BMW parts are made in chaina. Thanks for the response.
You are welcome. I thought i remembered that BMW was assembling some cars in China. A quick search revealed that BMW sold 560K cars in China last year (more than in the US and Germany combined), and that they are buying control of their Chinese manufacturing joint venture with Brilliance. Apparently the tariff uncertainties with the US are driving the BMW move.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-bmw-jointventure-brilliance-china/bmw-to-buy-control-of-china-venture-in-new-era-for-foreign-carmakers-idUSKCN1MK2Z9