BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-19-2024, 12:49 PM   #1
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Buying 2024 M40i….lots of questions

Hello everyone. It’s been awhile since I’ve been here and owned a BMW.

A little about me. My past BMWs were a 98M3, 2001 S54 Mcoupe, and 2011 1M. We recently retired and are looking at getting a lightly used CPO or New X3 M40i. No more track days and it will be our first Automatic BMW. We still enjoy performance cars but our priorities have changed since retirement…fishing and Grandkids now is what we spend most are time on.

This is the last year of the current gen X3 and we are not fans of all the new touch screen thing like the X1. So that is why we are not waiting to see what the 2025 model will be like. We still like some buttons and knobs.

So here are my questions:

Was thinking of getting a CPO and saving a little bit maybe. Or do you think it might be better to order one? Maybe a discount since it’s the last year? Or is it too late to order? The price difference is roughly 8k less for similar optioned 2024 CPO with around 10k miles.

Looking around for the right CPO and finding the right color, options, mileage, without traveling a 1000 miles is going to be tuff. We can’t stand Black and White which is the majority. We really like the dark red, the Blues, and the Gray colors.

Not a big fan of run flats and I do most of my general maintenance while I’m still healthy…oil changes, tire rotations, etc. It looks like the only way to rotate is get the standard 19 inch setup and then change to no run flats. Who has the 19s and what do you think about them? What tires did you get and are there any issues with having the 19s over getting the staggered setup? I’m not tracking anymore and just enjoy some spirited driving on curvy country roads. Is it possible to go aftermarket with a 20 inch square setup maybe?

We like to listen to music when we travel and we always opt for the upgraded stereos in all the vehicles we have owned. We were happy with our past BMW HK systems and most other vehicle brands upgraded systems. But I’ve noticed some complaints about the current X3 HK setup. The upgrade is 850.00 to get it. How is the standard system sound? Has anyone gone aftermarket and if so, how much am I looking at for something decent?

That’s all the questions I can think about right now. Sorry for the long read. Any help or opinions is appreciated. Thanks.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:06 PM   #2
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post

We like to listen to music when we travel and we always opt for the upgraded stereos in all the vehicles we have owned. We were happy with our past BMW HK systems and most other vehicle brands upgraded systems. But I’ve noticed some complaints about the current X3 HK setup. The upgrade is 850.00 to get it. How is the standard system sound? Has anyone gone aftermarket and if so, how much am I looking at for something decent?

That’s all the questions I can think about right now. Sorry for the long read. Any help or opinions is appreciated. Thanks.
Personally, I would go with the HK option. As for perceived audio quality, you will never see a consensus, as much is down to acquired taste.

No matter what current third party aftermarket products you add, the architecture of G01 iD7 (RAM) means the BMW HK digital processing and amplification cannot be replaced or even bypassed. The HiFi option is the same, in that it can’t be bypassed/replaced, but with a more limited decoding/processing capability and fewer, lower cost, speakers.

Here’s a data point of the current G01 HK system - https://totallyev.net/bmw-ix3-audio-...harman-kardon/

Last edited by avi66; 04-19-2024 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 03:10 PM   #3
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Opt for HK, while not great, it sounds fine turned up over 40ish %…. Can you not order square 20 inch setup as well on these? Though not as optically appealing IMO, 19s are a fine choice too.

Lots of threads on tire choices…
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 03:13 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Mech View Post
So here are my questions:

Not a big fan of run flats and I do most of my general maintenance while I’m still healthy…oil changes, tire rotations, etc. It looks like the only way to rotate is get the standard 19 inch setup and then change to no run flats. Who has the 19s and what do you think about them? What tires did you get and are there any issues with having the 19s over getting the staggered setup? I’m not tracking anymore and just enjoy some spirited driving on curvy country roads. Is it possible to go aftermarket with a 20 inch square setup maybe?

If new vehicle order entry for G01 hasn't already ended, it is likely in the very near future. I'd reach out to the dealer immediately to see if they can edit an existing wholesale order to your preference. I have a personal bias toward new vs used that overwhelms the cost concern. It is a bias, so availability, financial effect, and enjoyment of being new are factors only you can weigh to reach a personal decision.

As to your questions, although I have a 30i, I can offer these thoughts on your two topics.

First, I had not been a fan of RFTs due to prior history with noise and harshness, although I did find some pleasing Michelin Primacy 3 ZPs for my now-gone 330iX. I have the 19" Bridgestone Dueler RFTs and my personal impression seems to match online reviews that these are surprisingly good. Comparing ratings, it seems owners of the Duelers are more satisfied than those who have the Bridgestone 20" Alenzas that come when wheel size is increased. I was prepared to replace the Duelers after delivery, but after driving them, I find no reason to make that change. Duelers are not harsh, ride smoothly, and handle spirited daily driving quite well. I always drive in Sport mode and I'm enjoying our local traffic circles. I'd order the 19s and judge for yourself. Worst case, you can get some UHPAS or Summers in 19 if you are not pleased with the Duelers.

I took the $850 HK upgrade and am enjoying that as well. I am not a high-level audiophile, but I find this system to be very pleasing. I have not done an A/B comparison with the standard system, but this sounds so good to my ears that I am happy with the choice and would recommend it.

Good luck and best wishes with your purchase!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2024, 04:59 PM   #5
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
Personally, I would go with the HK option. As for perceived audio quality, you will never see a consensus, as much is down to acquired taste.

No matter what current third party aftermarket products you add, the architecture of G01 iD7 (RAM) means the BMW HK digital processing and amplification cannot be replaced or even bypassed. The HiFi option is the same, in that it can’t be bypassed/replaced, but with a more limited decoding/processing capability and fewer, lower cost, speakers.

Here’s a data point of the current G01 HK system - https://totallyev.net/bmw-ix3-audio-...harman-kardon/
"On the whole, the iX3’s Harman Kardon audio system is spectacular"

Seriously? I would challenge their definition using that particular word.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 01:27 AM   #6
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
"On the whole, the iX3’s Harman Kardon audio system is spectacular"

Seriously? I would challenge their definition using that particular word.
I’ve sat in listening rooms with kit costing way more than an M40, and guess what ? People in the same room, listening to the same system, at the same time, claimed it sounded great, yet others claimed it sounded poor.

Hence, why I said it’s a data point because I wasn’t in the reviewers car and don’t have his ears or brain. So feel free to challenge his review of what he experienced. ��

It’s the human condition, and there is no definitive answer as it’s individual acquired taste. Think of it as arguing with a person who has coffee with 4 sugars, and telling them it tastes much better with no sugar. It’s highly likely if you served them coffee with 0 sugar, they would take to the internet complaining how crap it is.

Last edited by avi66; 04-20-2024 at 04:41 AM..
Appreciate 2
      04-20-2024, 01:19 PM   #7
COM40
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Unless it was abused, a 10k mile car is indistinguishable from a new one. I would definitely take the savings and go CPO there. If it's only a year old then you lose nothing in terms of warranty coverage.

I have 19s and they're completely fine. I did put on DWS-06s once the Alenzas were done for. You might gain a tiny bit of cornering performance with 20s but the benefit is mostly cosmetic.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 05:41 PM   #8
Jet Mech
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Coupe VO

Thanks for everyone’s comments so far. Keep them coming.
2001 S54 M Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3/4 (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2024, 06:28 PM   #9
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
A lot of the people in the school pickup line with M40s have the 19” M wheels as well. Probably 50/50 the all season tires and the horrible roads here.

I have the 19”. I usually itch to remove the RFTs for a set of Michelin non-RFT but this time around I actually kept the Pirelli Cinturato P7s that came with the car. They ride extremely comfortable, and I am relatively happy with the performance of them.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2024, 07:00 PM   #10
Plimmie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i & X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
I have the 19”. I usually itch to remove the RFTs for a set of Michelin non-RFT but this time around I actually kept the Pirelli Cinturato P7s that came with the car. They ride extremely comfortable, and I am relatively happy with the performance of them.
I agree with you. The 19” factory setup is very comfortable.
      04-20-2024, 07:23 PM   #11
EWL5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by COM40 View Post
Unless it was abused, a 10k mile car is indistinguishable from a new one.
Abuse an M40i? Who would dare?
Appreciate 0