BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2019, 09:56 PM   #1
jimmyjohn
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Will Intake Void Warranty?

I’ve seen a few comments on this - (I’m new to BMW) — if I get an aftermarket intake, will it create warranty problems?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:04 PM   #2
aastretch64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Aftermarket intakes can sometimes trip a check engine light, but modern engines are pretty robust and smart enough to compensate for abnormalities like an increase in air. Unless the intake directly causes any damage, which is highly improbable, a manufacturer can’t void your warranty. In fact, there isn’t really a void of a warranty...more like a denied claim.

I think you will be okay in my opinion. But if you are really that concerned, don’t do it. It won’t really do much for performance—an indiscernible 3-5 horsepower— but it will make the turbo noise a little bit louder.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:27 PM   #3
jimmyjohn
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastretch64 View Post
Aftermarket intakes can sometimes trip a check engine light, but modern engines are pretty robust and smart enough to compensate for abnormalities like an increase in air. Unless the intake directly causes any damage, which is highly improbable, a manufacturer can’t void your warranty. In fact, there isn’t really a void of a warranty...more like a denied claim.

I think you will be okay in my opinion. But if you are really that concerned, don’t do it. It won’t really do much for performance—an indiscernible 3-5 horsepower— but it will make the turbo noise a little bit louder.
Ahh, got it, for some reason I was thinking more hp. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

I think you should just get a panel filter (non oiled) and call it a day. Helped a bit with noise for me and that’s about it...
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:10 AM   #5
tonyb15re
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

and if you get an oiled one the turbo could suck the oil through and knacker itself over time..
Appreciate 0