BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #1
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Bavsound underseat ghost subwoofer

Has anyone upgraded their Hifi system in G01 X3 with the Bavsound underseat woofers? I am looking for something to increase the bass. Can you feel the bass in your seat with this upgrade without upgrading amp?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by M40i017 View Post
Has anyone upgraded their Hifi system in G01 X3 with the Bavsound underseat woofers? I am looking for something to increase the bass. Can you feel the bass in your seat with this upgrade without upgrading amp?

Cheers
I bought a set of these for my 235i. Returned them. Made it worse (IMHO). Muddy sounding.

Bass in my 40i and now my X3MC sounds great to my ears i.e. sufficient bass. Try adjusting the equalizer.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #3
M40i017
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:

Cheers
I bought a set of these for my 235i. Returned them. Made it worse (IMHO). Muddy sounding.

Bass in my 40i and now my X3MC sounds great to my ears i.e. sufficient bass. Try adjusting the equalizer.
Thanks for the response! Ya I currently have bass near max with treble below the middle. Since I do not have the HK I dont have all the fine tuned equalizer settings along with the increase power output.

Thinking whether I should just throw a small sub box in the trunk but haven't had one before and dont really know what to expect.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #4
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Thanks for the response! Ya I currently have bass near max with treble below the middle. Since I do not have the HK I dont have all the fine tuned equalizer settings along with the increase power output.

Thinking whether I should just throw a small sub box in the trunk but haven't had one before and dont really know what to expect.

Cheers
Box in the trunk could be a good idea. I've had them before. I might look into the cost of doing that as well.
Appreciate 1
M40i01746.50
      11-17-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Cheers
Ah sorry, assumed you had the HK. Yeah, a mini sub in the back is a good way to go. Lots of choices out there too
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 09:36 PM   #6
lo_cheng
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

I have the up7 DSP installed on the Hi-Fi system. All factory speakers.

thinking replace speaker and sub. don't want to use extra sub in trunk.
to be honest, not sure why BMW stay with 8" sub. like MB use 10" under seat sub would be much better.
      11-18-2019, 06:40 AM   #7
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

I started out with the bavsound ghost subwoofers only for about two months, they say to let them break in and about the time the rest of the bav sound speakers arrived I noticed the sub woofers do definitely have a "feel" or you can feel the air movement from them. now that its all gone from HK to bav sound there is a huge overall improvement. I was never happy with the HK speakers and when I removed them it was easy to see why, they are flimsy like the old speakers in a pocket radio from the 70's. mostly I noticed the ghost woofers made everything have more clarity and depth to it. if you just want butt thumping bass this is probably not the way to go but it you want a much richer more balanced sound this is what you want. I have seen others who said bav sounds sounded "muddy" this was definitely not my experience. I do wish they made the plug n play amplifier but they do not as of yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers

Cheers
I think you'd get greater overall sound improvement by upgrading to DSP amplifier (Fischer Audiotech or similar). I have hi-fi in my F25 and was quite pleased when in swapped in a BimmerTech DSP amp- the stock speakers are actually quite capable performers.

Really good quality bass requires large diameter speaker-separate speaker in its own enclosure is best route.
Appreciate 0