BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-25-2019, 02:34 AM   #67
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Jesus indeed - that's an amazing find.

Whilst clearly (as someone mused above) the rock would not have your key, I wonder in you test you could put the key in the boot/trunk whilst you tested? That would not be an unusual circumstance.

:-)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #68
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_80 View Post
I have reported this in the thread "Random Boot/trunk opening", but I think I should create a separate thread to warn others. Previous posts reported random opening when the car was parked. Today, the tailgate opened by itself while I was driving on the highway!

I had a short local driving before entering the highway. About 5 mins in the highway, the trunk just opened by itself. The car feels very noisy and hard to control (i was on a windy highway).

Fortunately, I did not have anything in the truck, otherwise they may just fall off and hit the car behind me! I existed the highway, stopped on a local street and closed the trunk.

This random opening also happened once in my garage (the car was parked and locked) one week ago.

With two random opening happened in one week, I am afraid of driving it. You never know when it will suddenly open again.

BMW, you need to fix this! I have drove several SUVs and never had this problem before!

Update 2/23. Today I test it and now know the reason. I let my wife slowly drive the car forward with all the doors locked. I use the kick open feature behind the car. The hatch opened, while the car is moving! I also have the key fob in my pocket. Did not test it without the key fob. So definitely, the hatch may open while the car is moving!

I guess, on the highway, some small rocks triggered the kick open sensor and once triggered, it will open the car no matter the car is moving or not!
I just tried it, even when stationary the kick to open doesn't work with the key fob inside the car!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      02-25-2019, 08:50 AM   #69
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
when the trunk opened up on the highway key fob was not in the rear.
its possible that the trunk never closed properly.
so experimenting with key fob near trunk and trying to open it while the car is moving is not the same. smh

i never had this issue with any of the X3s or X4. i keep fob in my pocket.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #70
Gary pa28
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
I’ve been following this closely having had mine around a month now and as others carry 2 dogs in the rear ,so opening while on the move is obviously no good ,

I don’t have comfort access so also not the kick opening ,but thought I would try to see If I could open it on the move via fob an door button and thankfully no on both counts even at below 5 mph .i couldn’t even open it when I stopped had to,put it in park and manually unlock door with lock/unlock button
So I’m happy to know dogs are safe
      02-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #71
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary pa28 View Post
I've been following this closely having had mine around a month now and as others carry 2 dogs in the rear ,so opening while on the move is obviously no good ,

I don't have comfort access so also not the kick opening ,but thought I would try to see If I could open it on the move via fob an door button and thankfully no on both counts even at below 5 mph .i couldn't even open it when I stopped had to,put it in park and manually unlock door with lock/unlock button
So I'm happy to know dogs are safe
I think the bulk majority of our cars are safe when the safety features function correctly, the way your car did.

However, there were reports that the safeguards of preventing the trunk from opening while moving did not work as intended, hence the whole forum community is concerned and we all want to know exactly what happened to those negatively impacted.
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
      02-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #72
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
I think the bulk majority of our cars are safe when the safety features function correctly, the way your car did.

However, there were reports that the safeguards of preventing the trunk from opening while moving did not work as intended, hence the whole forum community is concerned and we all want to know exactly what happened to those negatively impacted.
Earlier while in drive and going about 5 mph, I pressed the liftgate button on the armrest and the liftgate opened. Not very safe.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 06:55 PM   #73
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:

Earlier while in drive and going about 5 mph, I pressed the liftgate button on the armrest and the liftgate opened. Not very safe.
Wow, it's not cool that you can press the button and open the tailgate while in Drive

This is different than some others experience... I wonder what is the trigger???
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 07:17 PM   #74
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Assuming it might be relevant, I have the factory hitch I.e. NO kick-to-open feature.
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:11 AM   #75
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

if there is no warning, chimes lights on dash etc, when this happens then it is coming unlatched non electronically. this is a very real safety issue as if it opens while normal driving it damn sure will open in an accident and comprise the occupants and the structural integrity of the vehicle. when I open my hatch there are dings and a light on the dash no matter how I open it,kick sensor, rear button, door button, key fob. if your hatch is opening mid drive and there are no indicators its happening the safety interlocks that defeat its ability to open when in motion are being bypassed. this means that literally it is coming unlatched manually. it's clearly a faulty latch.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 07:35 AM   #76
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Hey OP Dan_80

Did you get the car back to your dealer for check up? Any update to share?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:47 AM   #77
Dan_80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

No, i did not have time to do that. Even if they give me a loaner, it will take me half a day and they will probably say nothing wrong with the car because we cannot replicate it in the highway. Now if I drive highway, I put everything underneath the cargo floor mat. I have RFT and get plenty storage space there. Even if the hatch opens, nothing will fly out...

I called the corporate office, they said that a case manager has been assigned and they will contact me if they found any safety concerns.

Quote:
Hey OP Dan_80

Did you get the car back to your dealer for check up? Any update to share?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #78
antjones21
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
I just got a '19 X4 on 1/29. The 2nd day I had it, I just happened to be playing in the remote app and it said the tailgate was open. I went out to the garage and sure enough it was open. It did it again a few weeks lateR. Last night I got home from being out I just locked the car and went inside. This morning the tailgate was open again and I was like WTF. This is super odd!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #79
thestuarts
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by antjones21 View Post
I just got a '19 X4 on 1/29. The 2nd day I had it, I just happened to be playing in the remote app and it said the tailgate was open. I went out to the garage and sure enough it was open. It did it again a few weeks lateR. Last night I got home from being out I just locked the car and went inside. This morning the tailgate was open again and I was like WTF. This is super odd!!!
This also happened to me. I finally caught the tailgate opening on its own on video. Mine is currently at the dealer being diagnosed.

https://youtu.be/sbHDwudL8so
Appreciate 1
CAMOETO140.00
      02-26-2019, 10:46 AM   #80
muzzalad
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 530d xDrive Touring

Garage List
*This may be unhelpful but...*

I know you tested with the doors locked and you moving; but would it be worth testing activating the auto door locking after moving in the iDrive as per allen3ybq 's suggestion until you get a permanent fix?
It might work differently to just having the doors locked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen3ybq View Post
OP did you have the doors set as auto lock after driving off? If not do that it might simply solved issue. I tested on my 19 X3 M40i with comfort access today. I pushed tailgate opening button at speed 0 but in D the car showed warning sign "to open tailgate put in Park/unlock doors".

Name:  iDrive_autolock.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  273.0 KB
2015 BMW M135i (F20)
Instagram SanRemoGreen_5Touring
Appreciate 2
BMWZ41909.50
JustChris17485.50
      02-26-2019, 11:48 PM   #81
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 40i

Just for info purposes -the last time I had the car in the dealership-which was the beginning of the year-they disconnected my key fob from being able to open the trunk-the trunk has still opened by itself with me in the car moving and not in the car standing a few feet away-there are so only so many ways you can open the trunk-mine has opened completely on its own, car moving and still-BMW response is we have not been able to duplicate and I can't help them because I also cannot duplicate it-but I have seen it.Not feeling very safe at times with this car BMW
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #82
Mocon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 40i

Leaving my home today I noticed that the lawn care service for our condo had gotten lawn clippings all over my car-I saw one of their trucks and asked them to blow the crap off my used to be clean car-as the worker was doing this if you could believe it or not, the trunk popped open from the leaf blower-I had gotten back in the car when this had happened because I was tight for time for the Dentist-using my newly( to me ) switch I attempted to close the trunk-no go on that also-so the leaf blower activated the trunk to open and now the switch would not close the trunk-I am amazed-the plot thickens
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:28 PM   #83
TheMooseMan
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 30i

It really seems to be a faulty kick sensor.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:38 PM   #84
Dan_80
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Can you also file a complaint in NHTSA? I filed mine. I think if NHTSA received enough complaints for the same issue they will do an investigation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocon View Post
Leaving my home today I noticed that the lawn care service for our condo had gotten lawn clippings all over my car-I saw one of their trucks and asked them to blow the crap off my used to be clean car-as the worker was doing this if you could believe it or not, the trunk popped open from the leaf blower-I had gotten back in the car when this had happened because I was tight for time for the Dentist-using my newly( to me ) switch I attempted to close the trunk-no go on that also-so the leaf blower activated the trunk to open and now the switch would not close the trunk-I am amazed-the plot thickens
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 05:32 AM   #85
ActionJackzon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3m40i

Same issue

I've had my 2019 X3m40i since February. Love it, but have had this "hatch issue" a few times already.

Twice it opened on its own while parked.

Yesterday morning, it opened while driving in slow traffic on a very busy road during rush hour, and I had a lot of things in the trunk. I couldn't close it with the button on the armrest, nor with the key fob. I had to pull over and get out, and close it by pressing the button on the door itself.

I found this thread by searching for the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #86
A1723
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 3.0 xDrive, 2020 X4M

Had it happened to my car once. Car was parked. Connected drive popped in my phone suggesting to ventilate. I clicked yes. Got outside and instead of ventilation the trunk was open.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #87
R2i3a
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 300zxtt, Q50tt, X3tt, F-250

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1723 View Post
Had it happened to my car once. Car was parked. Connected drive popped in my phone suggesting to ventilate. I clicked yes. Got outside and instead of ventilation the trunk was open.
Sounds like it did a good job ventilating though
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #88
A1723
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 3.0 xDrive, 2020 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastainna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1723 View Post
Sounds like it did a good job ventilating though
Top notch )
Appreciate 0