BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
jyoocp
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i JB

Black part in front of car

Hello I was wondering if the black part in front of the X3 is separate from the front bumper? My dealer put license plate holes in my car and I'm just trying figure out the best way to get it repaired. I don't really like bumperplugs they look so bulky.

Thank you guys
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
jyoocp
Rep

And if I have to resort to using bumperplugs what color would best match that gloss black area where the license plates are drilled into?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 07:08 PM   #3
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoocp View Post
Hello I was wondering if the black part in front of the X3 is separate from the front bumper? My dealer put license plate holes in my car and I'm just trying figure out the best way to get it repaired. I don't really like bumperplugs they look so bulky.

Thank you guys
It looks like on the M40i front bumper, that black part is a separate part from the rest of the bumper cover. It's called a Bumper Front Cover., part #51-11-8-092-755, about $165.00

Now what's involved to change it, I never did one.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2018, 09:55 PM   #4
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I finally mounted my front plate this weekend and it was painful to put holes in the bumper, but I realized that was a separate part and figured the next guy can replace it if he hates the holes. I'd prefer to run without a front plate and was going to chance it with the cops, but lo and behold I need it for entry into local military bases.
Appreciate 1
M40i01746.50
      08-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #5
jyoocp
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
It looks like on the M40i front bumper, that black part is a separate part from the rest of the bumper cover. It's called a Bumper Front Cover., part #51-11-8-092-755, about $165.00

Now what's involved to change it, I never did one.
Awesome thank you! Do you think it would be the same part for 30i?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2019, 07:41 PM   #6
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Anyone replace this piece yet and know how difficult it is?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
I don't believe it is the same small removable piece on the non-M bumpers. Looks to be the entire black section that runs across the front. Mine has the same holes. I took the plate holder off and just left the ugly holes for now. My license plate trim piece is also more matte black than gloss black. I'm considering sanding down the holes, filling them with some putty and wrapping the piece in black vinyl.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...per/1VnbgNRTDQ

Judging by the service manual it looks like the bumper has to come off to replace the large trim piece. Bumper plugs may be the easiest/cheapest solution, especially if yours is matte black as any generic plastic plug of the right size should do the trick since it won't need to be "paint matched"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 11:40 AM   #8
MikesBMW
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Garage List
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2017 BMW X1  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerZealot View Post
Quote:
I don't believe it is the same small removable piece on the non-M bumpers. Looks to be the entire black section that runs across the front. Mine has the same holes. I took the plate holder off and just left the ugly holes for now. My license plate trim piece is also more matte black than gloss black. I'm considering sanding down the holes, filling them with some putty and wrapping the piece in black vinyl.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/g...per/1VnbgNRTDQ

Judging by the service manual it looks like the bumper has to come off to replace the large trim piece. Bumper plugs may be the easiest/cheapest solution, especially if yours is matte black as any generic plastic plug of the right size should do the trick since it won't need to be "paint matched"
M40i uses a smaller black gloss front trim piece but I think whole front bumper needs removed to replace it
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #9
fingmongoose
Rep
Drives: BMW E91

Garage List
I have replaced this piece on my M40i. It wasn't overly difficult but wasn't super easy either. According to the BMW repair procedure I found you have to remove the whole bumper.

I'll recap from memory from 6 months ago. Basically I removed the cover for the tow hook mount and from there I was able to use plastic trim panel removal tools to slide between the painted part of the bumper and the black plastic piece and unlatch the plastic finger hooks that hold it to the bumper. Once I was able to get the ends loose the middle part came out much easier.

The biggest challenge was the park sensors. I couldn't get the connector to come loose so I had to carefully reach behind it remove the whole sensor from the black piece. After that, popped the sensors into the new piece and carefully pushed it into the bumper.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #10
Eh_Ron
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingmongoose View Post
I have replaced this piece on my M40i. It wasn't overly difficult but wasn't super easy either. According to the BMW repair procedure I found you have to remove the whole bumper.

I'll recap from memory from 6 months ago. Basically I removed the cover for the tow hook mount and from there I was able to use plastic trim panel removal tools to slide between the painted part of the bumper and the black plastic piece and unlatch the plastic finger hooks that hold it to the bumper. Once I was able to get the ends loose the middle part came out much easier.

The biggest challenge was the park sensors. I couldn't get the connector to come loose so I had to carefully reach behind it remove the whole sensor from the black piece. After that, popped the sensors into the new piece and carefully pushed it into the bumper.
Sorry for resurrecting this post. Just purchased a new to us 2018 m40i which had a license plate mount. There are 2 holes and wouldn’t mind replacing this piece. I am just wondering if you could give any further guidance? I pulled on it for about 30 minutes and got nowhere. Any help would be great. TIA.
Appreciate 0