BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2019, 02:32 AM   #1
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20i M-Sport (G01)

X3 G01 with Harman Kardon - Resonating interior?

For the people with the Harman Kardon system in their X3 G01..

My car went back to the dealer 3 times now, and the last time they switched the amp and the rear speakers. My problem still exists...

With specific sounds/notes the rear speakers sound awful...
They seem broken. Rattling noise, too much vibration and sounds metal-clunky. Don't know how to describe it.

Just to verify with other X3 with HK owners:

Do you have problems with resonating interior/bodywork with this system?
Especially in the back/rear of the car??

Have an appointment tomorrow to discuss the next steps to take...
BMW engineers doing their best, but all parts have been replaced and also they hear it's not what you may expect...
So now I'm thinking it's just (extreme) resonating parts in the car, but would think that more HK cars would have the same problems. Just can't find any complaints on the system of this order..
      11-18-2019, 05:45 AM   #2
Tokke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 20d Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Joe View Post

My car went back to the dealer 3 times now, and the last time they switched the amp and the rear speakers. My problem still exists...

They seem broken. Rattling noise, too much vibration and sounds metal-clunky. Don't know how to describe it.

BMW engineers doing their best, but all parts have been replaced and also they hear it's not what you may expect...
So now I'm thinking it's just (extreme) resonating parts in the car, but would think that more HK cars would have the same problems. Just can't find any complaints on the system of this order..
I think the panel over the speakers in the D pillar resonate a lot with bass sounds.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 08:43 AM   #3
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:

If you have a specific track and time in that track that is doing it, you can PM me that. Also your EQ settings, and I can try it. I'm sitting exclusive in the front, so don't know, how is the sound in the back.
      11-18-2019, 09:47 AM   #4
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
If you have a specific track and time in that track that is doing it, you can PM me that. Also your EQ settings, and I can try it. I'm sitting exclusive in the front, so don't know, how is the sound in the back.

Found this Spotify list on a BMW site, to test audio speakers:
https://www.bmw.com/en/innovation/be...-speakers.html

Of this list, almost every number gives distortion, but these tracks give the most:

Lorde: “Royals"
ZZ Top: “Blue Jean Blues”

Found another non-official list on Spotify "BMW Harman/Kardon with this track: Sidsel Endresen, Bugge Wesseltoft: "Try".
Also really really bad over my system..

Even with EQ completely flat, I get the distortion.
But atm it's about: +3 +2 +1 +1 +1 +2 +1 Treble and Bass FLAT (stopped fiddling with it, because the overall annoyance)
Volume at approx 60 - 70 % it gets really bad.
Mainly rear-right speaker on the D-pillar.
Fader is on 0, but the rear-right speaker is clearly heard (no obstructions) and the distortion is well heard.
But to really let it stand out, put fader fully to the back.

Last edited by The Dutch Joe; 11-18-2019 at 09:57 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #5
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Of this list, almost every number gives distortion, but these tracks give the most:

Lorde: "Royals"
ZZ Top: "Blue Jean Blues"

Found another non-official list on Spotify "BMW Harman/Kardon with this track: Sidsel Endresen, Bugge Wesseltoft: "Try".

But atm it's about: +3 +2 +1 +1 +1 +2 +1 Treble and Bass FLAT (stopped fiddling with it, because the overall annoyance)
Fader is on 0, but the rear-right speaker is clearly heard (no obstructions) and the distortion is well heard.
So you're listening to them through Spotify within ACP?
      11-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lorde: "Royals"
ZZ Top: "Blue Jean Blues"

So you're listening to them through Spotify within ACP?
Yup

Btw. Also with digital radio and CD the problem is there..
      11-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Oh when it happens you can hear it no matter what seat you're in.
      11-18-2019, 02:32 PM   #8
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Download a tone generator app and let us know the specific problem frequency(s).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #9
gugin
United_States
Rep

Exactly. Are you familiar with Room Equalization Wizard? If you have it (it's freeware but you must read the help file to set it up properly), run a log sweep and let us know at what frequencies the resonance occurs. How loud are the tracks at 60% - 70%? I only listen to FLAC files ripped from CDs, but if I raised the volume to 70%, everything I listen to would be distorted and my ears would not take the volume level for more than 20 seconds. But maybe the general volume level is lower with Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:40 AM   #10
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Did that with previous cars and also with this one.
Problem is that from the beginning I heard a distorted sound from the right rear.
Don't know how to describe, but with some high notes it sounds really (metal) clunky and with some basses it rattles/deforms..

I hear it with low volume on some tracks.
But with the tracks mentioned and volume a bit higher, everyone will hear it. Also the BMW mechanics heard it.

But after changing speakers and amp, started to think it's the D-pillar, surrounding plastic and outside body that is resonating.

That's why I would like the opionion of other HK X3 owners as it seems to be by design.. but can't imagine everyone has it this bad.. not BMW or HK worthy...
      11-19-2019, 12:42 AM   #11
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucecris View Post
Quote:
Quote:

You also have this problem then??
      11-19-2019, 05:02 AM   #12
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Did the test. Used track form ZZ TOP Blue Jeans blues, flac (23,73MB). I put it on USB stick a played in the car from that. Didn't change anything in my EQ (didn't write it down, but I may if needed). Put the volume up, to about 60%-70%, sometimes a little bit more. First I sat in the front, than in the back.

I have to report, that as a driver I'm totally fine with volumes under 50%. The ZZ Top track was bearable. I tried Sandman from Metallica (also flac) - oh my lord. My ears hurt. I will stick to the lower volume - also the sound was better.

As for the resonance - sadly, I have it too. Didn't noticed it probably because:
1. I sit in the from 99,9% of the time
2. I'm not listening to the music at such volumes
3. my hearing is probably worse than yours

I hope they tried to listen to the music with the speakers unmounted form the pillar and just holding them in their hands. That will immediately tell, whether the speaker is resonating or something else.

As it didn't bothered me until now, I will not going to the dealer to fix it. Although I have to say, that this is yet another thing, that you wouldn't expect from BMW
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2019, 05:15 AM   #13
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Did the test. Used track form ZZ TOP Blue Jeans blues, flac (23,73MB). I put it on USB stick a played in the car from that. Didn't change anything in my EQ (didn't write it down, but I may if needed). Put the volume up, to about 60%-70%, sometimes a little bit more. First I sat in the front, than in the back.

I have to report, that as a driver I'm totally fine with volumes under 50%. The ZZ Top track was bearable. I tried Sandman from Metallica (also flac) - oh my lord. My ears hurt. I will stick to the lower volume - also the sound was better.

As for the resonance - sadly, I have it too. Didn't noticed it probably because:
1. I sit in the from 99,9% of the time
2. I'm not listening to the music at such volumes
3. my hearing is probably worse than yours

I hope they tried to listen to the music with the speakers unmounted form the pillar and just holding them in their hands. That will immediately tell, whether the speaker is resonating or something else.

As it didn't bothered me until now, I will not going to the dealer to fix it. Although I have to say, that this is yet another thing, that you wouldn't expect from BMW
Thanks a lot man..!!

Volume is not too loud for me, but I think Spotify lowers volume..

Not good to hear you have the same resonance, but glad it doesn't bother you!

I also only sit in front, but rear right speaker goes straight to my right ear..
And even at 30 - 40% I can hear it. But I'm sure not everybody will.

Like you said, another thing you wouldn't expect from BMW.. not in this range cars..

Thanks again for the effort man!!
Really appreciated.
      11-19-2019, 08:03 AM   #14
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

Mannnnn, shit I know why they choose those track. Fuck me.

I just played Royals in the car via Apple CarPlay. God that tune rocks those speakers. I love loud sounds, but I could only get to about 75-80%. At that it was V.LOUD but I'm afraid no distortion or rattles. Those twin subs certainly help. I have HK BTW and a smiley face EQ.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:26 AM   #15
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

OP, is issue the same with Logic 7 surround disabled? I leave mine disabled.

I know the door speakers sit in a sound deadened plastic enclosure. Not sure if BMW did same for the D pillar speakers as these are only included with HK. Standard hi fi has no D pillar speakers.

Possibly some insulation behind the speakers would help. Or to line the back of the d pillar plastic with some insulstion before reinstalling? Or a foam surround around the speaker.... Thinking out loud here! Lol
      11-19-2019, 08:59 AM   #16
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Absolutely. It's horrible. I'm taking her in this week for that and a clunking in my front suspension when turning right.
      11-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #17
Brucecris
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

I know the door speakers sit in a sound deadened plastic enclosure. Not sure if BMW did same for the D pillar speakers as these are only included with HK. Standard hi fi has no D pillar speakers.

Possibly some insulation behind the speakers would help. Or to line the back of the d pillar plastic with some insulstion before reinstalling? Or a foam surround around the speaker.... Thinking out loud here! Lol
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

My issue is clearly the plastic speaker covers are resonating to certain frequencies. The plastic is hard. It was noticed by the dealer in the past but I've been lazy about getting it taken care of.
      11-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #18
gugin
United_States
Rep

I am afraid to try now since it seems to be a more widespread problem. I have been enjoying my HK system a lot and the last thing I want to do is discover that my car also has the resonance problem. Then I will hear it all the time and will not sleep until I fix it.
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      11-21-2019, 02:49 AM   #19
The Dutch Joe
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

In the old/original situation, it didn't make much difference..
Now I have a new amp (swap) and disabling Logic 7 makes a huge difference now! Way less resonation and vibrating plastic, but still here some cracks and static at some notes..
The fullness of the sound with Logic 7 disabled is not that great imo. Like this Surround effect. Had a similar function in my A4, but that was really not as good.

Quote:
My issue is clearly the plastic speaker covers are resonating to certain frequencies. The plastic is hard. It was noticed by the dealer in the past but I've been lazy about getting it taken care of.
This seems to be the issue with my car also.
But way more compared to other X3 HK cars.

Had an appointment with dealer to discuss this case, but beforehand I went to a car-adio specialist.
He had upgraded a lot of BMW X3's and also worked with X3 HK cars.
In none of them he noticed an extreme form of resonating...
He listened in my car and was shocked about the level of distortion came from the right-rear.. It's the plastic covers, the D-pillar, but also the exterior plating and light unit that seems to be vibrating as hell.
He also thought that the speakers themselves weren't really working as they should, but he needed more testing for that.

Going to BMW with this info, they again listened how it sounds now.
They both heard it got way worse after the amp and rear speakers swap.
(Apparently they had a memo that the original amp had an output issues, so they had to change it to a different amp according to BMW HQ.
That's why they also updated the iDrive, with the effect that a lot of ACP and NAV stuff doesn't function anymore as it should.. But ok, just need to wait for next update which hopefully will fix those things..)

They are going to try and get BMW HQ to fund/pay for damping material in the car, to try and reduce the resonating. But they warned me, that BMW HQ could just say: This is it, this is the level of quality you may expect, as the amp and speakers have already been swapped.. Bit disappointed about that....

So probably I will be going to that Car Audio specialist again and ask him to fix.my.audio in my car.. Really getting fed up with it...
      11-21-2019, 04:11 AM   #20
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

At least they didn't say what Mercedes told me in a similar situation back in 2004 with a C-C-Class. The boot/trunk pop lid button was rattling massively when I pumped up the tunes (think it was Bose in those days). I could stop it by jamming a piece of paper in the switch, but clearly not a viable option.

After investigation you know their response? Don't play the music so loud. I was absolutely staggered. Took it to another dealer and they fixed it :-/
Appreciate 1
Alias1431795.00
      11-21-2019, 04:30 AM   #21
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

In the short-term you might disconnect one wire from each of the problematic drivers - insulate the wire so it can't short. The solution is probably a few packs of blu-tack applied inside the plastic housing. Maybe some rubber grommets where the drivers attach...I won't take mine apart to see what's possible unless I need to...