BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-18-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
jam889
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M Sport Package

Best Run Flats for Duration for X3?

Hi All, long time fan and lurker..

My 2019 X3 M Sport Package came with Bridgestone Sport AS RFT Deuler HP's, all 4 having the same size of 245/50R19

Wheels have no labels but my online profile says it has 19" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 698M..

Since I listen to audiobooks for work/school research 99.9% of the time that I drive, I now drive like a grandpa and don't care for tire "spirited feel."

I'm more concerned with tire duration so hopefully I only have to replace the tires once before I send it back and the end of my 3-year lease...

Can someone please recommend me RFT with the most long term durability? It seems all Run Flats suck per TireRack reviews, so would it be better to save these Bridgestone Dueler Run Flats, put on some non run flats, then reinstall the Bridgestones right at the end of the lease?

I would prefer all seasons as again, I'm not after performance just durability. Advanced thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 12:31 PM   #2
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

I had the Duelers (245/50R19) on my '19 M40i with the same 698M wheels. I used them about 12K miles before replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

The initial tread depth of the Dueler is (as usual) 10/32". So that leaves 10 - 2 = 8/32" of usable tread.

After 12K miles, the tread depth (of the inner two grooves) was about 8/32". So in 12K miles I used about 25% of the tread, which means I could have gone about 48K miles.

Your mileage may vary... I suggest getting a $5 tread depth measure thing at your local auto parts store and keep it in the glove box.

The Duelers were rigid and harsh; but they got great gas mileage. Compared to the go-flat Pilot Sport A/S 3+, the Duelers got about 8-10% better MPG.

I ditched them b/c they really did not have good grip in the cold wet, or on snow or ice.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Pirellis Cint P7 are alot better then Duelers
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:11 PM   #4
BimmItUp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80/E46

Why do the run flats get better mpg? My thought was the opposite
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #5
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmItUp View Post
Why do the run flats get better mpg? My thought was the opposite
I'm not sure about all RFT getting better MPG. I can only tell you that the Duelers RFT get better MPG than the Pilot Sport A/S 3+. I will miss getting 33-35 MPG on road trips but the improvement to ride is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:51 PM   #6
MdW86
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30 320i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
Pirellis Cint P7 are alot better then Duelers
How are the Pirelli Cinturato all seasons compared to the standard Alenza summers?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
jam889
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
I had the Duelers (245/50R19) on my '19 M40i with the same 698M wheels. I used them about 12K miles before replacing them with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.

The initial tread depth of the Dueler is (as usual) 10/32". So that leaves 10 - 2 = 8/32" of usable tread.

After 12K miles, the tread depth (of the inner two grooves) was about 8/32". So in 12K miles I used about 25% of the tread, which means I could have gone about 48K miles.

Your mileage may vary... I suggest getting a $5 tread depth measure thing at your local auto parts store and keep it in the glove box.

The Duelers were rigid and harsh; but they got great gas mileage. Compared to the go-flat Pilot Sport A/S 3+, the Duelers got about 8-10% better MPG.

I ditched them b/c they really did not have good grip in the cold wet, or on snow or ice.

Wow, you legit read my mind/follow up question . Assuming I never got a flat on the Duelers (already got one), that means I would've never had to replace the tires after the end of my 36k/3 year lease which goes against what everyone on TireRack says, though to be fair it seems most RFT wear out quicker than non-RFT..

Anyone know if theres a tread depth point where the dealership makes me change tires?

Curious, do you drive spirited or grandpa-ish (presuming the latter saves tread life)?

Also, are you in the city of Chicago (often plowed snow so low inches) or suburbs where the snow is less plowed.. Reviews for Dueler on snow/ice look scary...

I'm in a dense part of North NJ where the streets are often plowed so I never had issues with my older FWD car; if I were in rural NJ, I'd consider winter tires based on reviews, thank you all.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #8
DTRJ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X4 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam889 View Post
Wow, you legit read my mind/follow up question . Assuming I never got a flat on the Duelers (already got one), that means I would've never had to replace the tires after the end of my 36k/3 year lease which goes against what everyone on TireRack says, though to be fair it seems most RFT wear out quicker than non-RFT..

Anyone know if theres a tread depth point where the dealership makes me change tires?

Curious, do you drive spirited or grandpa-ish (presuming the latter saves tread life)?

Also, are you in the city of Chicago (often plowed snow so low inches) or suburbs where the snow is less plowed.. Reviews for Dueler on snow/ice look scary...

I'm in a dense part of North NJ where the streets are often plowed so I never had issues with my older FWD car; if I were in rural NJ, I'd consider winter tires based on reviews, thank you all.
You must turn the car in with at least 4/32nds of tire tread or they charge you for tires
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:05 AM   #9
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam889 View Post

Spirited driving, fast corners when I can.

The Duelers suck on snow and ice, and even on cold-wet.

I live in the city, and the # of miles I drive on snow/ice per season is less than 5 total. So winters aren't worth the cost of a 2nd set of wheels. I also go on winter road trips to warmer climates which would mean I'd have to change tires before/after the trip, as you'll destroy winters if you driving in 80 *F in Florida.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #10
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MdW86 View Post
How are the Pirelli Cinturato all seasons compared to the standard Alenza summers?
apples to oranges...

you cant compare all season tire vs summer performance tire.

if you live in south or west coast where there are no winters im sure there are better tires then Alenza.
Appreciate 0