BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-12-2023, 11:04 AM   #1
Richchad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 M Sport Pro

Difficult to creep for tight parking

Do others find the iX3 is difficult to just slowly move into a tight parking spot, maybe close to a wall at front end or rear?

With my previous automatic cars you could slowly edge forwards or backwards, but the iX3 seems to be a bit all or nothing, with awful brake and steering noises, which sound even louder as no engine noise.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with the recuperation settings restricting free movement, I think I have mine set to 50%...

I have to say other than this I really enjoy driving the iX3.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2023, 11:37 AM   #2
brownejp
Private
Rep
Drives: iX3 MSport Pro Carbon Black

Yes the iX3 is quite annoying in tight spaces at low speed. My driveway is very very tight and it can be very very annoying.
What minimizes the issue is turning off autohold and auto emergency braking when maneuvering at low speed in tight spaces.
I had hoped that I could configure the car to do it automatically based on location but alas no. The autohold has a button on the steering column and I have configured one of the shortcut buttons to open the autobraking menu.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 05:49 AM   #3
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

I switch off autohold and I'm in low regen mode so the car creeps easily.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 06:15 PM   #4
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownejp View Post
Yes the iX3 is quite annoying in tight spaces at low speed. My driveway is very very tight and it can be very very annoying.
What minimizes the issue is turning off autohold and auto emergency braking when maneuvering at low speed in tight spaces.
I had hoped that I could configure the car to do it automatically based on location but alas no. The autohold has a button on the steering column and I have configured one of the shortcut buttons to open the autobraking menu.
A button on the steering column? I’ve missed that, I thought that was on the centre console near the handbrake/parking brake etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 02:12 AM   #5
miksen
Rep
Drives: iX3-G08 (ex 320D-F31, 135-E88)

Use the B mode when going forward; the accellerator pedal is much more sensitive than the brake pedal.

In reverse I have no tips. I wish there was a B mode for reverse too.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:49 AM   #6
sierramike
Electrified
Rep
Drives: iX3 X5 E53 3.0d 520i E39 850Ci

Garage List
1995 BMW 850Ci  [9.00]
2003 BMW 520i  [8.00]
2005 BMW X5 3.0dA  [0.00]
Opposite to what is said, I find B mode is not adequate for low speed manoeuvering. I largely prefer the D/R modes that behave like automatic ICE. The only cases where it is not so smooth is when the road is leaning. On horizontal roads no issues.

I never ever activate auto-hold, but always use B mode, where it "auto holds" alone without the need of the auto-hold feature.

On the Tesla, where the one pedal drive is a general setting, always applied, not depending you are on D or R, I hate the feature, because I find it way more comfortable to not have regenerative breaking when manoeuvering (and you never "drive" backwards, so no use on R mode ...) With the Tesla I have to "accelerate" to have the car go backwards up the "hill", but it starts fast, so have to brake, and start over ... Frustrating !

Much smoother with my iX3 !
Appreciate 0