BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-06-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
kverheye
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Question Charge advise during trip

hello,

I'm probably missing something in the setup of my car. I hope so.

When I'm on a longer trip I thought the iX3 GPS would give me some advise on where to best charge when the car sees that I'm not going to make it to the destination?

Is this not the case? I use ABRP on my mobile phone to check it out now.

Thanks for the advise.
Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      09-07-2021, 02:32 AM   #2
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kverheye View Post
hello,

I'm probably missing something in the setup of my car. I hope so.

When I'm on a longer trip I thought the iX3 GPS would give me some advise on where to best charge when the car sees that I'm not going to make it to the destination?

Is this not the case? I use ABRP on my mobile phone to check it out now.

Thanks for the advise.
You need to go into your Navigation settings. There is an option there to overlay range rings (not quite rings as the calculation takes into account terrain and driving mode). The map does not offer any advice as such as to where you should charge but it will show charging points if activated.

Finally, given the febrile state of the UK’s charging network, I am not sure that I would want the car to decide where I should charge unless it had real-time data on charging point serviceability. Even in an iX3, I always consider a back up plan.
Appreciate 2
      09-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
MATR
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30e

Doesn't Apple Maps in CarPlay partner with Bmw to offer this in the Apple Maps app?

https://www.greencarreports.com/news...4-electric-car

Or is this once again only for i4 and iX?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2021, 06:03 PM   #4
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 225xe / iX3 Premier Pro

I've looked at using https://evnavigation.com/ it does a great job of finding the right stop points on the fast charge networks from my fiddling so far. There is apple and android apps.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BWW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATR View Post
Doesn't Apple Maps in CarPlay partner with Bmw to offer this in the Apple Maps app?

So far I noticed ABRP to work in Apple CarPlay once in the “paid-version”. Last week I have been up and down to southern France and planned the route in ABRP with preferences on Charger owners. Worked out well when entering Charger locations in BMW sat-nav. I haven’t decided yet to use ABRP in paid version, although I will when I travel abroad more.
In parallel I used end destination in the car’s sat-nav and then it will find nearest charger when necessary. Not reliable as (specially in France) it does not take availability in consideration. For that aspect I cross check with ChargeMap app for real-time status of chargers (defect or occupied). Gives the co-driver something to do underway😜😜😜.

Has been a good experience and our range anxiety is largely under control now!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:02 AM   #6
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:

My dealer confirmed it should work on iX3 as well. I post a question to them to help me set it up as it did not work on first attempt.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #7
MATR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post

My dealer confirmed it should work on iX3 as well. I post a question to them to help me set it up as it did not work on first attempt.
That's super interesting. Would be awesome if you could update us on this when you know more?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:41 AM   #8
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
That's super interesting. Would be awesome if you could update us on this when you know more?

Complete clusterf**k here! BMW points finger at Apple and (guess what) Apple tells me the issue is with BMW!

I am afraid this option is not going to be functional at short notice. The fact we have to wait for the “next generation” of BMW i-models seems realistic. And even then I would be surprised if we as “front-runners” will get this working.

A huge compliment to the marketing dept! Another promise not delivered……(yet????)
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 04:50 AM   #9
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Hopefully will get the software it needs, as after all there isn't an idrive 8 (yet) and assume the other vehicles will be 7's too, so seems sensible that there should be update to the version in the iX3.

I don't use apple stuff, so wouldn't be affected (when it finally arrives, November fingers crossed) as I'm on android. Android auto both abrp and evnavigation.com can be got to work, even if with just a little fiddling.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 06:38 AM   #10
DaveCV
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ape View Post
Hopefully will get the software it needs, as after all there isn't an idrive 8 (yet) and assume the other vehicles will be 7's too, so seems sensible that there should be update to the version in the iX3.

I don't use apple stuff, so wouldn't be affected (when it finally arrives, November fingers crossed) as I'm on android. Android auto both abrp and evnavigation.com can be got to work, even if with just a little fiddling.
BMW is not well known for rolling out updates to its existing cars. I am sitting with bated breath to see if they will fix a reported charging issue. MyEnergi suggests that EVs that fail to wake up May struggle to work with the UK’s smart grid.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

They have been getting better, know a couple people with idrive 7 stuff that's had ota updates to add/fix things. And the 225xe I currently have got an update to add the alexa and media information stuff.

But yeah, know what you mean, they need to start taking some of the learnings from the 'startup' culture around their software. But at least it's all built well, and even though tesla's get regular updates and features, I'd rather it all didn't fall to bits.

Rule of thumb in buying stuff, buy for what it does now, and hope it gets better, but don't buy things with the thought that what you actually want will come to it, as that only leads to disappointment
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2021, 12:30 PM   #12
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh on a side note, ABRP is now Android Auto compliant, just tested on the wife's car (not an ev but). So if on android that's an option at least. Push comes to shove, get a cheap android device to leave in the car that supports tethered AA, leave it in the center console, using WiFi to the car/iPhone and just use that. IMPO AA is better than carplay anyhow, so...

Not ideal I know, should work with the platform you have chosen, but sometimes these things happen, especially when it's a tech giant, and a 'less than tech' giant
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2021, 12:25 AM   #13
MATR
Private
Rep

Quote:

Pretty sure idrive 8 will ship with the new cars? If this won't be supported in idrive 7 then I fear the ix3 won't be getting it.

I doubt the ix3 will get idrive 8?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #14
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCV View Post
BMW is not well known for rolling out updates to its existing cars. I am sitting with bated breath to see if they will fix a reported charging issue. MyEnergi suggests that EVs that fail to wake up May struggle to work with the UK’s smart grid.
Same issue here. I do charge (or at least like to) with max solar power from my roof using a Zappi V2. BMW hates intermittent charging (clouds etc) and blocks several options “to protect the 12VDC battery”. MyEnergi explained me as well this kind of charging is the future even on public chargers. Issue is with BMW now for about 5 months and guess what: no reply whatsoever! Is on my expediting list for coming winter. Mail/call every week till answer comes.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 03:18 AM   #15
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iX3 rijder View Post
Complete clusterf**k here! BMW points finger at Apple and (guess what) Apple tells me the issue is with BMW!

I am afraid this option is not going to be functional at short notice. The fact we have to wait for the “next generation” of BMW i-models seems realistic. And even then I would be surprised if we as “front-runners” will get this working.

A huge compliment to the marketing dept! Another promise not delivered……(yet????)
Initial reaction by Apple Support was “wait for iOS 15”. Weird reaction showing country support doesn’t know what is in an update

Long story short: in iOS 15 there is NO OPTION AT ALL to link any car to the app. Hence this connection is not possible, despite the promise.

Next target is now BMW, at least they cannot hide behind Apple anymore!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #16
MATR
Private
Rep

My guess is that this will be an idrive 8 feature.

It wouldn't surprise me but they should be ashamed.

How can they market it as "born electric" without route charging guidance or integration with Apple Maps or ABRP.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #17
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Strange it doesn't work, but works fine on Android (tested on the dealer demo car Saturday). So it's deffo an integration thing between apple and id7.

Just make sure your on the beta for ABRP in Android.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 12:24 PM   #18
MATR
Private
Rep

Quote:
Strange it doesn't work, but works fine on Android (tested on the dealer demo car Saturday). So it's deffo an integration thing between apple and id7.

Just make sure your on the beta for ABRP in Android.
Do you get state of charge and everything? ABRP works with Apple CarPlay but I guess it is not able to read the battery's state of charge. Which is necessary for this to work properly.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2021, 01:09 PM   #19
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Didn't get chance to try that, as have to have the car against your bmw account, but it gets the state of charge from my 225xe just fine.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 01:54 AM   #20
iX3 rijder
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Didn't get chance to try that, as have to have the car against your bmw account, but it gets the state of charge from my 225xe just fine.
Do you mean the SoC of your 225 is actually communicated with ABRP? Can you elaborate how you managed to realize that? I can only enter SoC at start of trip. You use the full/paid version?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 03:49 AM   #21
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah paid for version, you link it with Tronity, and it communicates with the app etc directly in real time.

Name:  Screenshot_20210923-110644_ABRP.jpg
Views: 1761
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  SmartSelect_20210923-110726_ABRP.jpg
Views: 1729
Size:  218.1 KB

Last edited by the_ape; 09-23-2021 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2021, 05:10 AM   #22
the_ape
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh note, even though I've selected iX3 here as the 'model' that's actually the real-time from the 225xe as iX3 hasn't arrived yet

Name:  Screenshot_20210923-112754.jpg
Views: 1828
Size:  105.7 KB

Shows SOC etc bottom right

Last edited by the_ape; 09-23-2021 at 05:31 AM..
Appreciate 0